1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Honda Hybrid System-30% More Efficient Than Current IMA!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Sergiospl, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Honda Reveals New Hybrid System "i-DCD Dual-Clutch Hybrid for Small Cars"

Honda Reveals i-DCD Dual-Clutch Hybrid for Small Cars | AutoGuide.com News

2. james cook

james cook Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I will def buy a insight that can get over 44 mpg.

Was my first choice for the full equipped version for 20k but someone got it before me and I ended up with a prius c2 at 20k that hardly has any features at all "heated mirrors, alarm system, tinted windows, etc"....

3. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Very possible. Currently, hypermilers get +50mpg on the Honda Civic Hybrid by disengaging the gas engine manually (via a technique called NICE). Having the car's computer do it for you automatically is a better solution.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is long overdue. The original Honda IMA functionally was the same as driving our Prius in "B" or also called engine brake mode. I had expected the single motor, blue-motion system (called "Blue Drive" in 2009) to have similar performance so I was disappointed to see the initial numbers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are unique control-law challenges but these are not insurmountable. We'll see once they show up in the market place . . . like the C-MAX.

Bob Wilson

austingreen likes this.
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    First I would have to say, I'm suprised it has taken this long. Its a good move for honda. It sounds very similar to the system in the sonata or jetta hybrid. On the sonata people have complained about the transmission, but hopefully honda can get it right.

With toyota and ford reducing costs on their very smooth psd systems though, I would be surprised if this gets big market share on the low power end of the market. PSD sounds like a superior system for lower power applications, but it depends on the implementation.

6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That adds a unique system

I wonder what car that will be on. At first I thought it was for snow and ice, but it appears to be torque vectoring for a sporty car.

7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see any external drive belts, so that's a plus, but the Toyota split-power device is such a simple and elegant way to simultaneously couple ICE power and electric power to the wheels plus provide a belt-less CVT. It's hard to imagine anyone topping this. Infinite ratios > 7-speed.

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

honestly, this looks like throwing crap on the wall and seeing what sticks.

One motor systems are inferior.

SHAWD - is for new RLX Hybrid. Its too complicated and it will never be sporty when you get 300hp to the front wheels and 25-30hp to each back wheel.

PHEV seems like a logical one.

I hope they do well regardless and prove me wrong.

10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45632

11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks these are the details I found on RLX

Sampling the 2014 Acura RLX's Goodies – News – Car and Driver

It sounds interesting and heavy. 6.7kwh must mean plug-in, or maybe they have a plug in and anouther hybrid version.

Quick Drives: Acura RLX Precision All-Wheel Steering, Sport Hybrid SH-AWD Prototypes - Rumor Central

The big problem for the RLX sport hybrid is the segment is not very big, but has big competition. October sales were
    Lexus GSh -68
    BMW ActiveHybrid 5 -184
    Inifiniti M35h - 66

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As well as the new gearbox, another key difference of the new hybrid system is that it allows cars to run in electric only mode. Strangely, though, it can only do this in gears one, three and five. As a result there is a noticeable step when the transmission changes up and it's even worse going down the box.

It'll have EV mode where electric motor can only use odd gears. It doesn't sound good.

Source

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its probably just an incomplete prototype.

A double clutch should be less smooth but more efficient at higher speeds. At low power levels the belted cvt hybrid has no advantages of hsd. The question really is how well honda has implemented it. With the high mpg of the camry, fusion, and sonata hybrids, there is not much space for a civic hybrid except for low cost:( The next gen prius should soundly beat its city mpg no matter how good the system is.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

who knows, maybe same system as in Accord PHEV? It is coming soon.

in any case, 310hp up front, 54hp at back. A lot of weight since they didnt automagically remove the batteries.

Maybe sportier than FWD Accord but still not sporty. You need RWD in this class Honda. Having 85:15 power distribution is not sporty.

People will compare it to RLX with regular V6 and real SHAWD, and be disappointed.

To me having 3 different hybrid systems means they are not serious about it... if they are, they would do a Toyota - design one system and reproduce it to maximum number of cars (with variations), so you can reduce the price of the system and sell more cars, make profit.

Maybe I am wrong and they actually plan to really market one of these and focus on it and rest of the show is for investors worried about the future.

15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HSD eCVT, seems simpler with fewer parts, and no belt?

Components of 3rd Generation Toyota Hybrid (eCVT) Transaxles