1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Hybrid Battery made by Dr. Prius, apparently.

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by Sonic_TH, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    First we should note that Dr Prius batteries are not Lion or anything similar, LifePO4 (Lithium Iron) are cobalt free, inflammable, and generally much more tolerant to abuse like overcharge and flatlining, very different beast than most normals are familiar with.

Based on the temperature specs I see Nickel batteries are rated to charge and discharge well below zero and to add a little chemistry the very strong electrolyte in a nickel battery does not freeze until well below zero and even then stays a slush.
    Lithium are normally rated only to discharge in extreme temps and due to gas bubbles can blow separators if charged when frozen.

So Normally Lithium batteries freeze more easily than Nickel due to simple chemistry

2. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    inflammable =/= nonflammable

Inflammable comes from inflame, so it means the same as flammable.

Rocinante likes this.
  3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually good catch, inflammable means it spontaneously combusts without an ignition source.

Lithium iron is imflammable, unflammable :0 or non flammable

Chemistries without cobalt are generally inert and much less reactive.

EV Makers are slowly reducing cobalt content which is good for the Africans working in Chinese owned cell phone mines but has the added side effect of reducing flammability, one can only hope someone mainstream is brave enough to use the newer cobalt free chemistries.

Sadly cell makers are doubling down with more cobalt content going the wrong direction.

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm not sure this will be a complete answer to your question, unless you're familiar with pack balance procedures. If you need any points explained, please ask away.
    Some links to read watch and an essential part for resellers concerning blade /module balance.
    https://projectlithium.com/pages/how-to-measure-true-capacity-of-the-blade
    https://projectlithium.com/pages/how-to-replace-one-or-multiple-nexcell-blades
    youtu.be/ChGff5uK5Lo
    https://projectlithium.com/products/balance-cable-adapter
    https://projectlithium.com/products/battery-balance-cable-for-prius
    It's a lot of info to take in one sitting.
    Some of us have spent many months / years learning the ins and outs of how this stuff is supposed to be used.

5. Pro-289

Pro-289 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok, so now it's almost been two years to the day. Can you elaborate on "MPG has gone up"? How much? What was it before? What is it now? What was it when you posted last year, and what is it today? Numbers can make a big difference.

Sonic_TH likes this.
  6. TheChip

TheChip Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Still going strong over here! Before the battery I was getting ~38 MPG, and under a mile of EV only range if I got up to cruising speed first. I'm currently averaging 42-45 mpg depending on the drive, and still getting the two to three miles of EV range after getting it up to speed. Overall, still very pleased with the pack.

With how heavy the stock pack is, I don't see myself recommending anything but a lithium conversion. Should I need to get the pack out, I can do it myself without trouble.

7. cloudy

cloudy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting thread, and good to see some real world numbers and experience about the "Dr. Prius" replacement pack from someone who bought one.

I have a 2008 Gen 2 Prius in Australia. 172,000km on the original battery. I'm currently getting 4.9 L/100km (48 mpg) as reported by the Prius computer/dash screen. I recently ran the Dr. Hybrid test using OBD2 connector which returned a "fair" result for my battery with 53% capacity remaining. Weak block 12. Unbalanced block 12,13.

I'm trying to keep overall running costs of the car to a minimum (not specifically keeping fuel economy low if this would require expensive maintenance). I’ve done a bit of reading on the forums, and the thesis linked earlier in this thread.

Can you please help me with a few questions I still have:

1. What does “Fair, 53%” mean for the remaining life in my Prius in terms of years or km? I think the economics of battery replacement mean it’s probably cheaper to run it into the ground, provided this does not leave me stranded.
    2. If I do nothing with my battery, will it fail gracefully, or will I be stranded on the side of the road at some point? (I would consider this a high cost outcome).
    3. Is the Dr Prius Pack the same as NexPower lithium replacement sold at projectlithium? Is Rmay saying that the chemistry of this pack is LifePO4?
    4. My Fuel economy is still better than what “TheChip” posted above as their MPG usage before their battery was replaced. Can anyone comment what improvement I could expect in fuel economy based on a 4.9km/100km starting point if I were to install at NexPower pack?
    5. I’ve heard running the original battery in “EV” mode will shorten its life significantly. Why are people choosing to use this mode when all the energy comes from the gasoline in any case?
    6. Has anyone converted their prius to plug in hybrid after changing the battery from NiMh to Lithium?
    7. Has anyone refurbished their own original battery? This involves load testing, replacing weak blocks and then then fully charging/discharging the remaining blocks to reset "memory" effect and restore some capacity. I'm doubtful of the benefit of this in fuel economy/battery life, can anyone comment?
    8. I’m interested in any other information regarding the NexPower/Dr.Prius pack, has anyone had one fail, is any more technical information available? Also keen to hear people experience with refurbishing their original packs.

Thanks in advance.