1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Mohammed Quwaider, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Mohammed Quwaider

Mohammed Quwaider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought new Hybrid battery from Toyota for my Prius 2010 after the old battery give a message in my car "Check hybrid system"
    Car millage:150,000 mile
    After installing it every thing is ok except when the car in is park the battery drain fast to two bars and the engine start for 5-8 seconds and charge extra bar and stop and after less than one minute the extra bar dropped and the engine start again and the process keep continue like this, I want to know what is the problem is related to the new hybrid battery or some thing else although I have done all the recall on the car in the past few months.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @Elektroingenieur any idea?

Either the battery controller doesn't recognise the new battery (calibration?) or the new battery isn't new.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how hot is it outside? max a/c?

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A mechanic mentioned to me that sometimes he'll install a brand new Hybrid battery and he'll get error codes in the first 70 miles because the sensors and overall calibration takes a little while to settle down. If you haven't disconnected your 12 volt battery for a few minutes during the replacement, do that now. Also make sure your 12volt is strong and healthy and not weak and acting wonky. IT's also possible the battery wasn't delivered to you with a good enough charge and some long down hills on a hwy will work that out. If all that checks out than Toyota sold you a defective battery, or the original problem that threw a warning light wasn't your battery, but the battery ECU or some other component.

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    @bisco asks good questions about ambient temperature and use of air conditioning.

I’d suggest checking for stored diagnostic trouble codes and watching the Hybrid Control System Data List using a Toyota Techstream (Global Techstream, GTS) diagnostic system or third-party equivalent. If there aren’t any other clues, I’d pay particular attention to the temperature, voltage, and current sensors.

Tideland Prius and PriusCamper like this.
  6. Mohammed Quwaider

Mohammed Quwaider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you guys, I drove the car in highway and downhill it 's better now I think the battery wasn't charged enough I also replaced my 12v battery as it was weak, but after I replaced my 12v battery I got warning on my dashboard (ABS ,...) I did reset it and after a while same day I got the same warning again do I have reset it again or it will disappear by it self.

7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If the ABS warning light has come on a second time, I’d suggest reading the diagnostic trouble codes. You can use a diagnostic system (as discussed above) or the blinking-light (TC and CG) method described in this thread by @ChapmanF.

8. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And unhook the 12v for five minutes, try several restarts and proceed.