1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Hybrid Owner (Long post)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by areyoualiberal, Mar 15, 2017.

1. areyoualiberal

areyoualiberal New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello! My wife and I just recently bought a 2005 Prius for $2,500 cash + trade in vehicle value. The Prius is up to 180k miles and I love it so far.
    I've spent a good clump of hours researching and educating myself on what to expect.
    I haven't had any problems with it so far besides the check engine light but I didn't tighten the gas cap so that was resolved.
    The battery bars on the screen are blue and I've read that that's not necessarily a bad thing. I've only seen it fluctuate from blue to green when traveling up and down hilly roads. We just turn on the AC to burn off that extra energy.

We bought it from a dealership in the little town we live in. It was listed for $5,999 but he cut the price by 1k and accepted the trade for our pickup + $2,500 cash.

Upon inspecting it, I asked about the battery and he said he had just replaced it with a new one. Cool!

It had been sitting in his lot for a good 2-3 months or so and it started right up which was surprising to me because I read that there were issues with an idle Prius' battery dying. I had to ask if it was on because it was literally silent.

My wife and I are young and have never bought a car from a dealership so we weren't too confident as to what to ask about the vehicles that appealed to us. We walked passed the Prius that was in awesome condition and we stopped and I think we both saw that this could potentially be a really good decision.

The man at the dealership, I don't think he had much knowledge of the Prius and neither did we so both parties accepted the offers basically blindly. My wife was so excited and we drove off the lot 30 minutes later.

We haven't had any problems so far and at half tank, it took $12 to fill it. My jaw dropped! We just got rid of a truck that swallowed $80 every gas stop so that was definitely a good sign.

I've been trying to research the possible things that could go wrong because I'm a little curious as to why the previous owners got rid of it. Does it have a reoccurring issue that left them with option 1: pay out the nice person to fix it or 2: get rid of the thing? We did think the mileage was high but our trucks mileage wasn't any better and had plenty things wrong with it but the Prius looked pristine besides the little, barely noticable stains and tiny interior scratches on the glove box latch.

I've done research on the battery life on this specific model and what it has to offer and what to watch out for and avoid because upon my research, I also discovered that you basically have to be a millionaire to fix all the things the diagnostic test comes up with if problems happen and you take it into a Toyota dealership.

I read review after review, good and bad and I still believe that this was a great investment despite the reoccurring problems; unintended acceleration, potential battery failure(sometimes prematurely), transmission problems, headlight problems and their ungodly price to fix them.

Some reviews were pro/con. The pros listed were gas mileage and the space it offered, the touch start/lock. The con was usually the maintenance fees to fix simple things and that's when I became nervous...We are in our early twenties, our combined income cannot cover a $2,700 bill for diagnostics and parts, the labor...if this car has an issue, we probably wouldn't be able to afford to get a tow and to fix it and that's a little unsettling.

We recently just made an 11 hour road trip without issues besides the check engine light popping up. I grabbed the manual and it said to take it to a Toyota dealership immediately. Okay...panic. Woah.

I decide to call the Toyotas customer line and I explained that we just bought this car and we have no idea how it operates and that the check engine light just came on. She replies back with "Did you recently get gas?" Yes. We're still standing at the gas pump. Weird. She said that if the gas cap isn't put on securely, that light would pop up. She told me that if that symbol starts blinking, we have to have it towed and worked on ???
    She said that the check engine light will turn off 24-48 hours from now if that was the issue. That 11 hour drive only cost $14 so the mpg sounds efficient. (correct me if I'm wrong.)

On the screen, the mpg fluctuates to really high to suddenly really low. Ex: 102.1 mpg then to 23.6 mpg. Could this be an issue?
    I'd say it's averaging 49-51 mpg.

All of the audio options work and it looked as if the previous owners installed an IPod adapter for music which was also cool! All windows and doors work, FOB works, AC and heat as well.

It just still confuses me that this car was sitting in a off road dealership for so long without a quicker grab. Why was it there in the first place? Perhaps the previous owner upgraded.

I'm just curious as to what I need to have done and checked without getting a huge list of problems with a fat bill attached. It runs great, it feels really smooth and hasn't made unusual sounds that I've read about. The brakes don't feel too sensitive but not worn either.

What are the average prices for fluid checks, sparks, ect? I'm very excited to own a Prius and I'm excited to save some $$ along the way. Any information helps!

Thank you,
    The Costas

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

mmmodem and RCO like this.
  2. 2011RedPrius

2011RedPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just wanted to say hello and welcome. I am new enough (and have a Gen 3) that I can't answer your questions. But, I will say that I know the person that traded in my Prius traded it for a newer Prius. After reading this forum a little bit that seems to be a common thing to do.

It sounds like you are off to a great start on ownership and have already found the elusive search button on the forum. That should make most of the old timers happy :)

Happy Driving,
    rp

areyoualiberal likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and congrats!

you're driving a ticking time bomb. perhaps the former owner just didn't want to deal with the possibilities of a car that is now beyond its design life.
    may you have many uneventful miles ahead of you, all the best!(y)

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome and congratulations! Sounds like the car is doing well for its age. If it really does have a new traction battery then that should be good for another 100,000-200,000 miles or more. Probably the most expensive things after that are things common to all cars like air conditioning and stuff. The brake accumulator is about $2,100 installed if that goes out. Transmissions are really dependable. Next might be oil related engine problems or the water pump. All regular car issues. It may just be that the previous owners got tired of driving the same car for 12 years, or the battery was giving out and they didn't want to spend that much on a car that old. I'd suggest taking the money you're saving on gas and sock it away against future repairs or even a newer car if nothing happens to this one.

Enjoy your ride and save your shekels for whatever comes up. By the way, those battery indicators you mentioned sound like you have a healthy battery. If it gets in the green (full bars), no need to burn it off with the A/C. The car's computer will deal with it by applying more electricity and less gas to moving you down the road. If it's full and you're going down a long mountain descent, then it might need some engine braking, but that's pretty unusual if you don't live in the mountains. And "full" on the indicator means it's really about 80% full. The Prius is meticulous about protecting its battery.

RCO, areyoualiberal and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While 180,000 is high mileage, the Prius is typically a higher mileage-tolerant vehicle. While there are definitely some very expensive things that could break down, regular maintenance is pretty cheap. And the overall chances of needing an expensive (over $1000) repair for a 2007 Prius are roughly 3-4% according to True Delta numbers. Of course, since you have a higher-mileage car, you'll likely have a correspondingly higher risk, but Prii are generally pretty reliable.

The MPG that's fluctuating all the time on the screen is supposed to be "instantaneous" MPG - in other words, the miles per gallon you're getting at that precise moment. It routinely bounces up and down, especially in city traffic. On the highway, it will generally be more consistent. While it's nice to have the instantaneous estimate, the 5-minute bar graph gives you more accurate MPG results for each 5 minute period, and the the average MPG number on the bottom of the screen is the most accurate over longer distances or multiple tanks of gasoline. It tends to be optimistic by around 1 MPG compared to measuring based on how much gasoline you're filling at the pump, but it's still close.

I made that gas cap mistake with a Corolla before. The check engine light came on and I started to panic, but tightening the gas cap fixed it. It happened a few months later in the same car, which did require a repair, but the repair was $300, so not overly expensive.

As to why the previous owner got rid of it, the most likely reason was just high mileage. It had probably been sitting around on the dealership lot for as long as it had because Prii aren't in very high demand right now due to low gas prices and newer electric vehicles being available. I got my car in December and it had been sitting on the lot for 20 days. It's still in great condition.

Enjoy your new car! :)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did he mean he replaced the 12 volt battery with a new one, or the hybrid battery. if it is the hybrid battery, you would be wise to get the receipt from toyota from him. if it's not from toyota, it is not new, and is rebuilt which could last a few weeks or a few years, depending on who did the rebuilding.

RCO and areyoualiberal like this.
  7. areyoualiberal

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you! I'm hoping it was just a simple trade and not a "heck this is gunna take a shit soon, better get rid of it" trade.

Thank you, that's a little reassuring that you think it's in good condition for its age and I hope that to be true. My step father is a mechanic and is good with all kinds of cars. Im not sure if he's familiar with Prius but I'm going to ask him to take a thorough look at it to see if it has any faults or anything that could be money draining.

I was concerned about the battery right off the go because I know that batteries cause a good percentage of the damage in cars this age but I'm starting to believe that perhaps the previous owner simply didn't want to buy a new battery pack when he can buy a new, slightly more reliable car.

thank you so much!

I've read about the reliability of the year and others' experience and it seems this year model seems to have the least amount of complaints and problems in the toyota reviews page. Everyone seemed pretty satisfied with what this year offered and its durability.

My wife and I panicked when the engine light turned on! I got the manual and I was like shit...it says to take it to a dealership but we were in the outbacks of Oregon and there was nothing around besides that has station. The person I spoke to on the phone already knew what was wrong before I finished explaining so that was nice.

I'll try to get that from him, thank you!

#7 areyoualiberal, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PriusChat!
    Your Prius has two batteries, a small AGM 12 volt battery in the cargo area, and the larger traction battery behind or under the rear seat. The larger traction battery is the expensive one. Did they say which one they replaced?
    The 12 volt battery powers the computerized systems and accessories. The engine starts and the drive motor runs off the larger traction battery that also charges the smaller one.

EDIT: I missed bisco's post. Welcome & enjoy your car.

RCO, jerrymildred and areyoualiberal like this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    congrats and welcome to PriusChat!

It's possible the previous owner didn't want to replace the battery and thought 11/12 years old was good enough and it was time for a new car. Admittedly, that's what we did with our 2005 Prius in the same colour as yours (Tideland Pearl). We're in Canada so I'm pretty sure that's not our car that you bought lol. (km vs miles etc). We replaced our 2005 with a 2016 Prius.

Honestly, all the dealer has to do is put in a new battery and resell it but they told us they will sell it to a wholesaler who will probably sell it for parts since there's a decent number of Gen 2s still running. (well in Canada anyway. We have a much smaller car buying population)

RCO and areyoualiberal like this.
  10. areyoualiberal

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Oh hahaha, yes I doubt that. It is a nice car though and there are still plenty running around here as well! Did you have any issues with your 05?

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That could be a bit skewed to the pessimistic side. Better to break it down a bit....

"all the things the diagnostic test comes up with" ... staying on top of your maintenance is the key here. You can easily get a code reader to query your own car for diagnostic codes so you don't have to pay others to do that. You can query for the codes as often as you like, and here's the thing: when the car is in normal, unimpaired working condition, the number of "things the diagnostic test comes up with" will be zero.

Then, generally, if something does go wrong with the car, it's going to be one thing at a time. That one thing may cause one diagnostic code, or it may trigger several related codes, which can seem scarier, but you look in the repair manual, narrow down the set of causes that all those codes would be related to, and then you fix that. All the repair manuals and other tech training literature are available to you online (two days for $15, which isn't a lot of money).

"if problems happen and you take it into a Toyota dealership" ... as you gathered from above, everything's better if you stay enough on top of maintenance that whenever one thing (at a time) goes wrong, you just identify it and fix it (or get it fixed) ... and then you're back to having zero things wrong and zero diagnostic codes, and the next thing will just be one thing, and a sensible set of codes.

If you start letting things slide, so one day you drive into a dealership and they pull a set of diagnostic codes reflecting the thing that was wrong six months ago that you've been ignoring, combined with new codes for one or more other things since then that you didn't even notice going wrong because the lights were already on, well, yes, that can be a troubleshooting nightmare, and if the troubleshooting happens on the dealer's clock, it won't be cheap.

So don't do that. Work on keeping the number of problems at zero. If you see it go from zero to one ... get it back to zero.

It's really pretty easy to do, as you'll infer if you look at the used car reliability ratings showing the Prius to be at or near the very top for lowest total cost of ownership. It does have some expensive things to break, they just don't, much. If you just bank the amount every month that you haven't spent on a less reliable car, you should be pretty well prepared even if an 'expensive' item fails later on, and the average cost over time will still be in your favor.

The only slightly more anxious time, of course, is in your first months of ownership, when you haven't saved much yet, so if the luck of the draw serves you an expensive issue early on, it's hard to just breathe deeply and take the long view.

But the longer you keep the car and stash your savings from it, the easier it gets.

-Chap

RCO likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The HV battery was essentially the only major problem.

We replaced the 12V 4 times (the 4th being a few months prior to trading it in)
    We've gone through 4 sets of tires
    Several headlight bulbs (cause I was experimenting with aftermarket halogen bulbs)
    Two taillight bulbs
    The left LED brake light cluster had 2 failed LEDs but as luck would have it, someone rear ended us in that corner so it was replaced
    Cracked foglight lens (cold rain + hot bulbs = cracked lens)
    Worn out front door armrests fabric cover and worn fabric centre console lid cover.
    There might've been a wheel bearing replacement but I can't remember now.

That's about it.The car survived two rear enders (one being the one mentioned above)

13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Although I generally agree with this, some of the hybrid-specific diagnostic codes can only be read by the Techstream software that Toyota only officially licenses to dealers. Many people are selling versions that appear to work, but it really a case of living with your own ethics and "Buyer Beware". The software you generally find available was designed to run on Windows XP which is also no longer sold or licensed.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anybody who wants can subscribe at techinfo.toyota.com. The 'standard' subscription (starting at $15 for two days) includes all the service literature, but no license to use Techstream. At the 'professional diagnostic' level, starting at $55 for two days, the Techstream license is included.

It's true that a lot of the vehicle-interface clone products being sold for cheap are coming with unofficial Techstream copies included. But even if you prefer being completely official, and even if that means shelling out $55 every time you have a need to pull codes on your car, that can still be less money and hassle than getting to a dealer appointment and paying them to do it.

-Chap

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True, but I thought a caution was warranted.

RCO likes this.