1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Internet service -- some simple (?) advice?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not talking about signal degradation due to longer cable. Just from my own experience, having a long and thick coax cable running inside of house is eye sore. And it can potentially be a safety hazard if it can not be tacked away from normal traffic. Also, we have pets who like to chew on cables, thus keeping the cable from the wall entering point to the modem short ensures less chance of being damaged by them.

Stevewoods and NewHybridOwner like this.
  2. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK. Agreed.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To all it is better own your modem as you will not pay taxes and fees to the provider. You will only pay what they charge for the internet service.

Docsis 3 or 3.1 will lock onto more download channels which is great

I would use a modem and a seperate router to prevent heat and the ability to reset just the wifi part of the network at will.

As an early adopter and beta tester
    For a company called Netduma and also Netgear I know what I am talking about.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You may not need a modem if you are just getting internet service. The outside FiOS box has an ethernet port in addition to the coaxial one. The provider sets which one is active. A modem is only needed to convert the signal through the coaxial.

5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Once again, thanks to all for the great replies....even the ones I did not understand. :sick:

Internet "guy" came out this afternoon. Wife described him as an unhelpful, terrified of CoVid rabbit. He did set up the modem/router and said he did comment that he was glad it was the Netgear unit because they are quality and offer no problems.

He wanted to walk around the outside of the house and wife wanted to follow him to see what was what, but he told her no way -- again -- I guess the CoVid thing. Me, being me, would have said "Yes, way. I will wear a mask and I will be 15 feet away, but I am going with you."

But, I assume he was looking for the --I will call it -- data box, and I already know where it is located.

So, he hooked it all up and her laptop latched onto it immediately.

She then asked him to set-up the TV and, he grudgingly started on it, but she said he got half done and said she could finish.

So, the TV she insisted on is a LG OLED55CXPUA Alexa Built-In CX Series 55" 4K Ultra HD Smart. It sells for $1700 most places, but I managed to talk a Northwest chain outfit into $1500 delivered (WAY more than I wanted to spend, regardless).

I ran it down earlier this week and hooked it up to an amplified Mohu antenna. It gets 28 channels and they look pretty good. I will head down in the morning and see if I can move the antenna a bit and coax a few more over the air channels out, as well as finish connecting it to the wifi...oh, I also need to set a new wifi password for the Netgeat. Wifey told me it already came with a password, but even I KNOW that needs to be changed ASAP.

Salamander_King likes this.
  6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Except that you don't seem to understand that there are a LOT of people out there who know a LOT less than you do.
    The OP even said he doesn't have a clue.

The last router I bought came with NO instructions.......except a web site to connect to where the instructions are.
    Uuuuuu......my router died.
    I have NO internet access.
    Stupid.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not necessarily.......unless the installer is also a hacker.
    The user passwords are randomly generated.
    Might want to read the material though.......as sometimes the more powerful admin password is the same on all of them.

Stevewoods likes this.
  8. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know that Netgear routers come with the same default ID and password which one is instructed to change, but I wonder how many people do -- or simply change it to the ever-popular 123456.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My son told me once, he'd acquired a shredder, and was looking for something to test it with, and the only thing on hand was the shredder instructions...

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That depends. If his home in or near Seattle has Centurylink DSL, the modem lease fee is a separate line item charge, not wrapped in to the monthly service fee. (This is one method of lowering the top-line advertised price, without lowering the bottom-line real price.) It can be abolished by buying one's own modem.

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    aka, the kneeling pad. :D

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At least he saved the instructions;).

Some circularly file those as the first step:whistle:.

Us on the other hand, we have a 4 drawer file cabinet and it has a significant portion dedicated to operating manuals and instructions:).

Some probably need to be discarded though(y).

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Instructions?
    What are those used for?

When I worked for Uncle, we had a new shredder installed and the official go/no-go test was whether or not it could shred a golf ball....and that was the SECOND largest shredder I used.

NASA owned the largest.
    Outdoor use only...and it looked for all the world like a large diesel-powered wood chipper.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, just got back from Oregon (I left Washington about 3 am) and boy traffic was nowhere what I thought it might be with the Fourth holiday.

Anyway, got there and immediately went to change the password on the modem/router. Well, gee.

Netgear said that each of them have a unique individually assigned password and while they offered the instructions on how to change it, the manual said it was not really necessary.

So. Avoided that job.

Second screwing around with the TV. MAN. I hate to say it, but that unit is a ---well---it is GREAT. don't know if it is $1500 great, but great.

So, the internet guy whom left it half-done had basically done it all and stopped at a couple of screens that asked if you want to opt-in or out on privacy issues (can the TV film you without your knowledge sort of things).

I basically rejected all those, except the ones needed to keep setting up the TV. I was done.

Hit the settings button on the "magic remote" and rescanned channels received through the over-the-air amplified antenna. Got 38 broadcast channels vs the 28 a few days ago (moved the antenna around a bit).

But, the real surprise was the TV was latched onto the wifi and it had an extra 172 channels.

Wife was very happy. None of our TVs have ever had wifi, so it was a surprise. Not really sure how it happens, but LG touts their LG channels, so I suppose that is what they are.

Put together a queen bed frame, cut a few limbs off trees and then headed home to Seattle (well, sort of home).

Anyway, happy that it was much less stressful than I was imagining (maybe I am remembering "dial-up").

OH< the modem router seemed to really pump out the signal. I walked a laptop all around the house, all around the yard and even up and down the street a bit (feeling silly holding a laptop) and never got less than FULL bars.

The modem router, though expensive, seemed worth it. While I love the TV, I am not that much of a TV guy. But if you are, that LG seems fantastic. And, if you want a modem/router unit, the Netgear seems fantastic.

NewHybridOwner likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are you comparing the lg to? i have a 55" vizio for $400. but i'm not a tv guy either, so i don't know what i'm missing

16. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I am not a tech guy. I have a 32" SHARP (back from when they were really SHARP and before they were bought out by a China firm), that the dog and I watch. It is around 2005 and has no wifi capability.

Wifey mostly watched the upstairs TV -- a 42" Panasonic Plasma from around 2005 or so. It also has no wifi.

So, any TV with wifi impresses me. I have never seen it before. But, the real thing, even with only OTA fare, was the sharpness and detail of the picture. Wife commented on "Leave it to Beaver" and said it almost looked 3-D -- and it did.

Montgomery and bisco like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have gotten that 3d impression from my sons 65" vizio. never on mine.

18. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You remember "Tricky Dicky"?

19. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't want to get into it -- but my family was pretty liberal. But we were neighborhood friends with the Nixons (before my time). His mother actually attended my grandmother's funeral.

So, lived in the same area. Have a number of Nixon family stories, but not telling them.

Montgomery likes this.
  20. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your Panasonic may have an HDMI port in the back. This is where TV viewing goes into another world. Should you dare, you can plug in a Firestick or ApplePlay or any other HDMI stick in your TV and you can see a whole new world of viewing. Not sure of your Panasonic having it, but I still have my Edmenson I bought from Walmart Back in 2005 and it had a HDMI port.

jerrymildred likes this.