1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Kenwood Amp for 2012 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bob Brandon, Nov 3, 2022.

1. Bob Brandon

Bob Brandon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone! Back in March, I upgraded my head unite to a Kenwood DMX957XR, and it is amazing! I'm beginning to look into replacing the rest of the sound system, and looking at amps. Since the Kenwood head unit is so good, I'm considering the Kenwood XR600-6DSP. I just have a few questions (sorry, I'm not much of a car guy):
    -Would that draw too much power from the battery? It's 100W x 6 channels
    -If it works, is it any good? Not looking for loud volume, but clarity
    -What do I need to connect it to my head unit?
    -If this works, are Kenwood's eXcelon Reference speakers good? If so, which?

FWIW, I have a 2012 Prius, originally had factory navigation but not JBL. Running an iDatalink Maestro RR2 for steering wheel retention. I'd like to replace the front and back door speakers, the tweeters, and maybe a sub. Again, not looking for loudness, more sound clarity & quality. I usually listen to general music. Not a fan of rap, hip hop, and only a hint of metal. Most music is pop, jazz, R&B, plus a bit of NPR and audiobooks.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

2. wheelz1980

wheelz1980 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would reach out to crutchfield and they will set you up with detailed explanation, I believe you can’t go beyond 30 amps. 100w x6 is too much.