1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New key costs $935

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Stephen Packard, Nov 8, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the Nissans I've encountered with SKS, namely my mom's 07 NAH, the metal emergency key can ONLY open the door. To start the car w/a dead smartkey battery, you put in a slot, just like on 2nd gen Priuses.

The Leaf I test drove the other day also had a similar (possibly same) fob and the same metal emergency key. I don't recall if they had a slot you could place the smartkey in or if you could hold it up somewhere to power it via induction.

2. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I'll take it further: there are many things about the Prius that have been "engineered" to maximize dealer profits, not least of which is the retarded oil filter arrangement, requiring specialized tools to easily remove, and employing forty-year old "cartridge" technology, rather than spin-off filters. Plus hiding the thing behind a door that doesn't swing open unless the car is elevated higher than most shade tree mechanics can manage.
    I'm sure there are other examples, but that one's enough. And now the key fob. They are deliberately ripping off a captive market, imo,

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if 'poor steven' is a troll?:rolleyes:

5. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was warned by my dealer that it would cost almost $1000 if I lost both keys.

Replacing one key isn't a big deal. I think it costs around $250-$300.

Replacing both keys, actually programming a new key if you don't have at least one key is a big deal. He said it requires contacting California. I wasn't paying attention, I don't remember all the details or steps. I guess the assumption is without at least one key the car may be stolen.

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't know that its really that way anymore. Used to be you needed one master key to program any other master keys, and without that master key they had to replace the ECU to get new keys. With the advent of the dealer handhelds now I don't know if thats the case...

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have reports from one locksmith that this is no longer the case. He is using a new third-party programming system which does not require a new seed, at least according to him.

Tom

8. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got that information from my dealer less then a week ago. It was casual conversation, I don't need a key. It's certainly possible there was a change and the person I spoke to wasn't aware of it.

9. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Believe me...the dealer can be very misinformed or just flat out wrong. This site is a much better source of information than the dealer.

1 person likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what about that little number tag they give you with the keys? they tell you if you have that, you're all set.:confused:

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With that any competent locksmith can cut a new mechanical key. You will be all set if all you want to do is open the driver's door.

Tom

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep, thats for the metal keys...

13. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The last time I saw a key that cost $ 935; it was in the hand of a nice young lady who wanted to spend the weekend with me.

Keith :focus:

4 people like this.
  14. ponderous

ponderous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all your interest on training key fobs to the 2010 Toyota Prius, Let me clear the air on what can be done with this vehicle.
    Yes there is after market software that can train keys to this vehicle without using TIS software and seed codes to be able to train keys.
    Yes used keys can be trained in as long as you do what is called an ECU reset that takes 16 minutes to run then run a second function to add in the keys.
    No the software is not available to all locksmith out there right now; the software is by Advanced Diagnostics I am involved with the company with software testing and developing. There is a couple of other Locksmith across the country that also has the available to this software right now they are also testers for AD.
    It should be available before the end of the year for sale to locksmith that has the AD Pro units. (Check with you local Automotive locksmith to see if he uses this make equipment)
    It is the most advanced equipment on the market today for training transponder keys and remote to vehicles in the world no other tool can do what it does.
    I am also able to train fob keys into the 04 to 09 Prius vehicles and able to reset the ABS system light if it should be set off by adding keys to the vehicle which can happen when you are doing the training. This software should also be available for sale on AD Pro units before the year is out.
    Dealers charge anywhere from $ 250.00 to $1000.00 to reset this problem with the ABS system.
    There is on Toyota vehicle that need to have the ECU replaced to train keys to the vehicle, the ECU can be reflashed to new to accept new keys.
    If you are worried about problems I also have the factory Toyota TIS software with full access to the seed code and resets of faults codes.
    If you are here on Long Island and need this fobs trained to you vehicle give me a call at 516-356-4800. Doug Lown All Auto Locks
    :cool:allautolocks.com

15. Mr. Prius

Mr. Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought a used 2010 prius recently that came with only one smart key w/ a cut key. My dealership wants $500-$600 for a new set.

16. Mr. Prius

Mr. Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dealer's pricing:
    Smart key: $249.50
    Program smart key: $95
    Lazer key: $125

Alternatives?

17. navy48

navy48 LBII (Lil Blue II)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oh, so you've met my ex-wife, huh??? :p

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  19. Mr. Prius

Mr. Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Saw some advertised on ebay for $99. Will these work and will Toyota dealers be willing/able to program and cut the key?

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't recall enough details, but search this site for other threads about Ebay keys. The pitfalls are serious.

For security reasons there are limitations on how many times most of them can be used and still be reprogrammable for the normal price. Beyond that, they either cannot be reprogrammed, or must make use of special facilities that consume the entire savings of having used Ebay.