1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Key Fob Registration

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mundan101, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Mundan101

Mundan101 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hello,

This my first Prius purchase and I am loving the vehicle.

I lost a key fob and had a locksmith replace it instead of paying triple the cost at a dealer.

Now anytime I enter with the new key, the display says that a new key was registered and to see the dealer. The message will not go away from what I gather.

The key fob and everything is performing fine.

Any way to get rid of the message?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As the locksmith should have explained, the message on the display is for your protection, to keep someone from surreptitiously registering a new key without your knowledge. The Owner’s Manual says the message should go away on its own after about 10 days:

If “A New Key has been Registered Contact Your Dealer for Details” is displayed on the multi-information display
    This message will be displayed each time the driver’s door is opened when the doors are unlocked from the outside for approximately 10 days after a new electronic key has been registered.
    If this message is displayed but you have not had a new electronic key registered, ask your Toyota dealer to check if an unknown electronic key (other than those in your possession) has been registered.​

alam99, kithmo and RCO like this.
  3. Mundan101

Mundan101 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thank you.
    Thank you.

alam99, RCO and Elektroingenieur like this.