1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New key fob

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rebound, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My 2102 Plug in only has one smart key. What’s the cheapest way to add a spare, in case the one key is lost? I do t care about the mechanical part of the key, just the fob part.

2. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are free to purchase a used key fob off ebay for a significant savings, but it must have been cleared by the seller; they call this a virgin key fob. Most professional resellers will give you a new uncut blade key too, you will have to bring that to a locksmith to get cut to match your current key, or dont, I never do. Otherwise, your other option is you are on the hook for a new OEM key fob for a lot more, and still have to get the key cut and programmed $$. Your choice, your money.

You get this key fob, and you can find a locksmith in your area with the proper handheld equipment to program it to the car, or purchase Techstream software off the internet (super useful anyways) with an OBD2 cable and program it yourself. I have done this several times to all my Pri, and coincidentally (are you reading my mind?!) just did 1 last night for my newest Prius. Takes all of 5 minutes.