1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New keyfob battery, no lock or start.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Seth Church, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Seth Church

Seth Church New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought my second Gen 2 Prius yesterday so am fairly familiar with how they work.... This 2006 prius was from a used dealership and is fantastic condition. The salesman had one fob and key and said he just put a new battery in it that morning. He said it was working fine before (and I believe him) but it does not unlock/lock/ or allow the car to be started. When inserted, the car starts fine and the physical key also fits the door lock and works. All of the buttons cause the small red light on the battery to light up so i know it has power.

Ive played around with the button on the steering column and haven't had any success.
    I read about programming a new fob via inserting it multiple times, etc. but I dont have the old fob so that won't work.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thank you in advanced!

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This should NOT be your problem........depending on how long ago "just bought" actually IS.
    The lot that sold you the car should fix it.
    And while that is happening, you should get a second FOB even if you have to pay for it.