1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New lithium hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Aaron Vitolins, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone heard of Nexcell.us ?? They are making new lithium battery's for older Prii. They aren't on the market yet, but soon to be.
    Would be really cool if these are actually a good reliable option like they say they are.

I've always thought someone should make a upgraded aftermarket hybrid battery.. and this might just be the one! I for one am very excited about this!

More options for the consumer is good in this case!

Thought I'd let y'all know. -Aaron

Old Wrench It, garglo and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unlikely, sorry.:unsure:

awful website, my brain hurts. but i hope this 'jack' he's writing to is not the same as the engineer jack.

don't get me wrong, if someone can make and sell a new replacement battery for $1,500. or so, that would be great.
    but how can you go to mass production so quickly, with only a 540 mile test under your belt, and expect people to be able to drive 100,000 miles or so?

give them credit for chutzpah, but they sound so innocent.

#2 bisco, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re-involt (Taylor automotive) was working a Prius replacement Lithium battery when they got taken out by Dorman, so that never happened. 3ProngPaul in CO does Li batt conversions. Boulder Hybrids

chronon likes this.
  4. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The LiON charging systems are very different. How would this work in the real world?

5. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. I was thinking the same thing. Only time well tell! I'm excited either way! Even if it's shit or fail. At least someone tried

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if they've already done 500 miles, they must have re worked the bms and etc. or maybe that's why they keep exploding.

7. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel like if anything the Prius battery software would be very easy on a lithium battery. Since the lithium can handle ever higher charge and discharge rates. So they might not be adjusting the Prius software at all. But on the other hand, their new battery could be higher voltage and stuff! Ahhh!

chronon and mjoo like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, you're over my head now.:) i just think the biggest difficulty with this stuff is cost. tough to overcome a manufacturers buying power and production capabilities.

9. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Depending on the design, their lithium battery might allow higher voltages, but you'd need a tuned or different battery charger to take advantage.

In 2016 the Prius's nominal voltage for the two different chemistries are almost identical. But, depending on the lithium chemistry, there could be different ways of charging them to minimize heat generation. I had posed the question of if the two packs are interchangeable on the Gen4 forum. We just don't know.

From what I understand, charging the lithium iron phosphate traction batteries are very similar to a lead acid battery. The only reason I haven't bought one to replace my auxiliary battery is that they are damaged if you charge them when they are too cold (<32 degrees F).

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  10. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    How much is a new battery, quizzed a dealer here (uk) and he reckoned about £900 exchange price, seams they have come down on price here in blighty

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is a good price. what the exchange rate these days, about $1.50 to one pound? they range from $2-3,000. here. plus installation, if you don't want to diy. dealers set their own price.