1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured New Mazda 3 Will Debut in LA With Holy Grail Skyactiv-X Engine

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by a_gray_prius, Nov 9, 2018.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was suppose to be a joke... I didn't mean to make you cry... May your tears soon dry!

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    it depends . . . .
    [​IMG]

stinkin' norway .... 1/3 of their rides are EV. They're making us look like rolling coal'ers.
    ;)

#22 hill, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    PriusCamper likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome work finding this chart... Sums up the reasons why people like @Trollbait need to be banned from our forum and many other forums they troll... If we can have a conversation that honestly focuses on what we as consumers and activists can do to decrease our emissions in an honest way without denialists hijacking the conversation with misinformation we can start to truly unite in making meaningful change.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Calm my friend:
    If they bring critical comments, as long as the sources are cited, consider it practice for what you'll run into at bars, parties, or Thanksgiving dinner. Instead, identify the counter arguments and as @john1701a showed, use their fallacies as setup to bring the facts and data:
    • 'Breitbart/FOX Omission' - the laziest and often easiest to puncture, they select one phrase and omit the sentence and paragraph that often reverses the meaning.
    • Dodgy sources - it is nice when they reference a notorious source but don't rule out dodgy papers from poor scholarship (what? what? a professor might lie to me?)
    • Math doesn't add up - my favorite.
    Several years ago, @john1701a published an excellent summary of the types of anti-Prius claims he often dealt with. It turns out the patterns of Prius critics remains the same applied to any subject ... like smoking tobacco.

BTW, I'm sympathetic to needed relief from time to time. There is an excellent "ignore user" which can provide relief and amusement in some of the replies. As a former co-worker once explained why he was so disagreeable, "My Doctor made me do it. Better to give an ulcer than receive."

Bob Wilson

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    what Bob says ...the chart that shows little Norway - also shows China's low % .... yet their population is so huge, they have a much higher number plugins of all countries. It's just posted for its fun facts. I
    ;)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    attack dog

all coming from a person who burns gasoline every time they drive

#26 bisco, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2018
    Trollbait likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The companies realize this, and their mouth pieces have been publicly asking for higher fuel taxes to help support it. They offering efficent and clean cars isn't enough. The public has to buy them. Just look at the hybrid market.

Variable valve timing and other technologies have been improving.

Great for those that can afford it. The Mazda 3 goes for $19k to $24k, and has a hatchback option now. Fully loaded, one with this new engine will be nearly $10k less than short range Model 3, which should be available around the same time.

Their regenerative braking system has been available as an option in the US for some time now, and their start/stop system is clever. With just those, Mazda can make a mild hybrid without a larger electric motor and capacitor instead of a battery.

Sunoij

I am all for plug ins, and am hoping to pick up a used BEV in a few years, but the world isn't going to replace all the ICE cars with BEVs within ten years. Even if that total switch comes to pass, there will still be need for ICEs.

What happen to respecting elders; ols timers might remember me as Shellyt, the name of my departed 2005 Prius. You literally know nothing about me, and on my stance on these technologies you should know that I'm for improving them all since we can't suddenly switch to BEVs, nor can we wave a wand and all be using renewable electricity. Should we just stop ICE development and freeze emission regulations where they are until BEVs replace everything? More companies investing plug ins will help speed up adoption, but not all of them. Developing raw resources and building factories takes time. The supply chains for engines were built over decades.

You, on the other hand, ignore the points others bring up that are inconvenient to you, make public calls for banning, and have used insults in other threads. Whose the troll?

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]

Source: Here Are the Cars People Are Trading For a Tesla Model 3

. . . the cars people most trade for a Tesla Model 3 are the Toyota Prius, BMW 3 Series, Honda Accord, Honda Civic and Nissan Leaf.
    . . .​

Since there are not any SkyActive Mazda 3 forsale, yet, we won't see them traded in for a while. Perhaps for the Model Y.

Bob Wilson

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    $10k / $2.75 * 50mpg ~ 182k miles of gasoline.

Admittedly 50mpg is a wild guess and the current local low of $2.75 won't hold, but this is very informative.

HDTV (equipment, not content) didn't really take off until it was the same price as standard def. The wholesale switch to electric cars won't happen until the machines equalize or dip below the purchase price of their gas-fed counterparts.

Most people aren't going to look deeper into the lifetime energy costs. Maybe they will eventually, but that's an educational effort likely to take a generation or two to realize.

I'm not out to dispute any of the facts you've presented, but your message is awfully negative. From my point of view, it really looks like you are complaining about positive progress.

Honey will catch more flies than vinegar.

#29 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2018
    Trollbait, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: October 2018 – The Best-Selling Vehicles In America – Every Vehicle Ranked | GCBC

interest Ranking Model Month Month LY Change YTD YTD LY YTD Change
    1 1 18 Tesla Model 3 17750 145 12141.38 96417 262 36700.38
    2 2 7 Honda Accord 23778 26740 -11.08 239077 277542 -13.86
    3 2 9 Honda Civic 22450 30319 -25.95 277486 314699 -11.82
    4 2 49 Toyota Prius Family 6306 7710 -18.21 75231 91030 -17.36
    5 2 76 Mazda 3 4093 4534 -9.73 55387 64641 -14.32
    6 2 84 BMW 3-Series 3445 4497 -23.39 38176 47712 -19.99
    7 2 140 Nissan Leaf 1234 213 479.34 11920 10953 8.83

• Mazda 3 is in the sales range of the highly trade-in for Model 3 cars
    • One exception, Nissan Leaf having a good month and year
    Bob Wilson

#30 bwilson4web, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Are you saying that since the Model 3 is available, society should end ICE development?

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A decades long development, I've been reading about similar ICE efforts for a long time. It would be silly to not test their technology in the market place. So the Model 3 is smiling in anticipation. Just I still have my memories.

I remember my 2003 Prius got 52 MPG both highway and city. I also remember the TDI diesel advocates touting their wonderful technology. Then there are the more recent Hyundai and Kia advocates. Also, they mentioned the new car is a 'mild hybrid.'

There are architectural limits on an ICE that make them a cheap, dead-end. The right answer is variable degrees of electrification/hybridization. Small batteries like the Prius Prime to larger ones work great if you don't have a real, charging network. But that excuse is rapidly going away ... at least for Tesla.

Bob Wilson

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That 2003 Prius was preceded by decades of development. Briggs and Stratton once had a hybrid car prototype in the early '80s. It had 3 axles because of the lead acid battery weight. Costs and technology kept it out of the market, but that didn't stop people from working it.

It will be great when the people that can only afford a Mazda3 or Prius have a viable BEV option. Just because such looks possible in future, doesn't mean we should stop making improvements to the ICE. My 2016 Camry SE is rated 25mpg city and 34mpg highway. If Toyota had stopped ICE development, and focused on motors, batteries, and fuel cells instead, the new Camry LE and SE wouldn't have improved to 28 and 38.

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting info... One thing that I very much like about the newest Mazdas I see on the road is their body design is very similar to Tesla's Model 3, which is one of the finest designs in a long, long time... Of course looks aren't as important as what's under the hood.

If the fires keep going on in California like they have been in past 4 years with more than 75,000 homes lost so far, the state should adopt a $10,000 service charge on all new vehicles with ICE that don't have plugin electric ability to pay for all the destruction. The more you force the vehicle market to rapidly change or go broke, the better!