1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Member: 2019 Prius Fueling Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MamaJam, May 4, 2022.

1. MamaJam

MamaJam New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum and have recently become a Prius enthusiast. I really love my car!

I bought my first Prius about 1 month ago. It is a 2019 Limited with about 9,500 miles. Last week I had to take it to the dealer for repair due to the gas cover not popping open when I pressed the button. Also after I found the hatch to open the cover in the trunk, gas began spitting out at me when I tried to fill the tank. The dealer informed me that they "reset the system" and resolved the problem.

Here are my questions: Could this be indicative of a larger problem with the vehicle? Also, What is Resetting the System?

I assumed that maybe a clogged fuel line or something obstructing the gas from ventilating caused the issue, but guess it could be electrical.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any thoughts?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This was a problem with early model Prius, but first time I read about it on a newer Prius. Doesn't make sense... But by "resetting the system" they basically did the equivalent of turning your computer off and starting it up again, which in this case is same thing that happens when you disconnect the 12v for a few minutes.

MamaJam likes this.
  3. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Just trapped air?

#3 PaulDM, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 6, 2022
    MamaJam likes this.
  4. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I have another idea which may involve a malfunction of sorts. On page 285 of my owners manual it says you have to finish fueling the vehicle within 30 minutes of opening the fuel door. That should be more than enough time to fill an 11 gallon tank. There is an internal valve that will close after that time. There is also a guard around the latch point inside the fuel door to prevent unintended actuation which might also cause that valve to close. Later in the text it says something about what to do if the fuel door doesn't open when you press the release button, which sounds like part of the problem the OP is having. The latch might be jammed or electrically compromised. OP didn't say if the "Dealer" was a Toyota dealer, and I suspect it was not.

FuelMiser likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The USA cars are much more complex than ours in Australia - we just have a solenoid which opens the flap and that's it. The USA cars are taken over by the ECM which plays games. You might have noticed odd sounds from the rear of the car when parked? It apparently, every 5 hours when POWER OFF runs a series of checks to make sure everything is good. I have no real idea what they have to <RESET> - but these might give some clues.

upload_2022-5-6_10-40-36.png
    upload_2022-5-6_10-41-1.png
    upload_2022-5-6_10-41-26.png
    upload_2022-5-6_10-41-59.png

MamaJam likes this.
  6. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Let's say your dealer reset solved the problem of the fuel filler door sticking and you are now able to refuel without any issue. I wouldn't worry about this being "indicative of a larger problem with the vehicle", but I would continue to pay attention to the fuel filling system. Yes, there is a shutoff valve in the filler neck that is opened by the button inside the car that stays open for 30 minutes after pushing it. The system will also close the shutoff valve if you move the black plastic filler door latch while the filler door is open. This can happen if you push the fuel nozzle against this black latch while you are fueling. You can reopen the shutoff valve by pushing the fuel door button in the car again. I suggest you "play around" with this latch in your driveway just to get a sense of how it operates: push the fuel door button in the car to release the fuel filler door, open the filler door and unscrew the filler cap. Then manually push the black latch that release the door and pay attention to any sounds that occur in the fuel neck. While you stay close to the fuel filler neck, have someone else push the fuel door button in the car while you are still back at the filler opening to hear the shutoff valve reopen again.

MamaJam likes this.
  7. MamaJam

MamaJam New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you for your reply! It was my local Toyota dealer.

8. MamaJam

MamaJam New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you all so much for your replies and advice! I'll use your suggestions and try not to worry so much. I guess I'm just antsy about a newish car having some trouble. Otherwise, I'm really enjoying it. The hatch appears to be working fine, but the darn thing won't run out of gas for me to test it again :-}

9. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    If you received an Owner’s Manual under the section on Refueling (page 280 for the 2022 Prius) you should find an explanation for exactly what happened to you (short of why the button wouldn’t work, but you indicate that problem no longer exists).

MamaJam likes this.
  10. MamaJam

MamaJam New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you! I'll look it up.