1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New member considering Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RAMbler, Jul 9, 2007.

1. RAMbler

RAMbler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Phoenix-D @ Jul 12 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]477613[/snapback]</div>
    I think I would be inclined to wear my motorcycle helmet and gear while driving one!

Yeah, 40 mpg is very disappointing. I wonder if that number is ultra conservative. Other gas-only cars twice their size are getting that and are probably much more fun (i.e. Mini S).

I just hope that it doesn't immediately fail here in the U.S. and discourage other manufacturers from going in that direction as a result.

2. Chayse

Chayse New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RAMbler @ Jul 12 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]477843[/snapback]</div>
    I'll jump in here as well.
    I, too, traded an STi for the Prius. I had a modified 05 STi. I loved it, the handling, the power. It was great. My biggest issue was my commute. I drive 70+ miles a day. During my commute, I would have the absolute worst road rage you have ever seen. The issue was that I knew 'I' could go much faster, but everyone around me was going slower. 'I' could handle the speed in 'my' car. Now, I am much calmer when I drive. My wife noticed the change immediately. I don't try to drive any faster than is needed. Like others have said, I try to maximize my mileage.
    As far as the money and environmental aspect, my STi would average about 19 MPG on a tank for my commute, I would fill up around 240 miles almost everytime, with Super no less. Now, I'm getting 50+ mpg over the life of the car so far. I get nearly 500 miles per tank before fill up and I only put 9 gallons of regular in the car. I went from filling up every three days to filling up once a week, maybe. $90 a week in gas to about $20. I traded an 05 STi for an 06 Prius with all options and did not lose money on the STi and wound up paying less per month for the Prius to boot.
    There are days when I miss the STi for a little speed fix. But, I enjoy driving the Prius every day. My wife liked my prius so much, we traded her 06 Civic for an 07 Prius. Again, we did not lose any money on the deal and we spend less in gas.
    I find that the Prius handles surprisingly well. I really don't find it too lacking, maybe the tires, but other people complain about those as well, and they are easy to replace. If you were closer, I would offer up my prius for you to drive. The miniscule test drive from the dealership is not really enough to get to know the car. I love the Bluetooth phone and the Nav. You get used to the MFD in less than a tank, and you can turn it off and just drive. My drive home today was very relaxing, 70 on the hwy averaging 50 MPG and all the windows down enjoying the breeze listening to tunes.
    If you have any other questions, you can PM me.

Fred

3. RAMbler

RAMbler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chayse @ Jul 12 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]477879[/snapback]</div>
    Fred,

Thanks for chiming in, it's cool to read about someone else who had the same model car (I have an '05 as well w/ Cobb Stage 1). I achieve identical gas mileage as what you were getting and find it almost impossible to do much better. I've considered other modifications such as removing the wing, getting a front mount and putting on a flat RS hood for better aerodynamics. Also, going Stage 2 for better flow, ect. blah, blah, blah. But all that might yield another 5 mpg so it'd essentially be a waste of effort and money… and I still couldn’t use the car for its intended purpose, spirited driving, if I wanted to get that additional mileage.

My round-trip work commute is fairly short at 30 miles so I really do not put many miles on per week (approx. 200). So financially, it's not breaking my bank but it's becoming a burden on my conscience as mentioned. However, I believe I can bear the burden a little longer to allow myself time to find exactly what I want, even if it means waiting for an '08. I won't stand for being pushed around by the dealer in a seller's market. I got the same B/S when I was purchasing the STi and still got a good deal with a little searching and patience.

I'm afraid of all things, that I will miss having the STi in the winter. I welcomed snow storms since having a sports-like car that plows through the snow with ease is something else to say the least. Of course, we don’t get snow anymore so that may be a moot point!

Anyway, thanks for sharing and offering to loan your car if you were closer!

Alex

4. alexg57

alexg57 New Member

Ok I just wrote a big, detailed response only to have my machine crash. Super. Here is the shortened version: I drove an '05 Mazda RX-8 for two years and loved the HELL out of it - one of the best handling cars you might see every day on the road. After tons of homework on cars similar to the Prius (I can send you my homework spreadsheet if you like B) ) I ended up buying a black '07 Touring with Package #6. Its overall cost of ownership will save me some $4000 in a year over the RX-8, and its toys make it so I barely miss the 6-second 0-60mph time and double-the-recommended-speed cornering.

However, that's not to say the Prius (Touring, at least) is a dog. It accelerates a lot faster than I had expected, especially in the 0-20mph or so. This morning I even chirped the tires while accelerating fast into traffic. The handling, too, surprises me. Going from an RX-8 made me think I would hate the handling in anything less, but it sticks to corners amazingly well for a commuter-mobile. And the ride isn't any harsher than the RX-8 or other cars I drove while waiting for my Prius to be delivered. Of course, I'm only 25 and I'm not too picky about floating on air yet :p

I don't think anyone with reasonable expectations would be disappointed with a Prius Touring's performance, even if they're coming from a much sportier car!

- alexg

5. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RAMbler @ Jul 12 2007, 11:59 PM) [snapback]477924[/snapback]</div>
    I don't get snow anymore, either (at least I hope?), but I did when I lived in CT. I had a good set of snow tires (Blizzak) and the storms didn't give me any trouble, even living on a hill. Will it blaze through a foot and a half of powder like it wasn't there? Hell no. But mine did at least as well as the other FWD cars on the road, better than those that didn't have the right tires.

6. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RAMbler @ Jul 9 2007, 04:41 PM) [snapback]475727[/snapback]</div>
    If you can afford a Subaru, my recommendation of choice would be the Camry Hybrid.

Only a few more K's than what I paid for the Prius, but, larger car, more luxury, etc, etc.
    With a Real Life rating of around 35 Mpg versus the Prius 40 Mpg, both are PZEV's so low-polluting.

I love the Prius, however I'm sure than my next hybrid would be the Camry or a full electric from Mitsubishi in 2011.