1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New member have HVAC question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DeezPrius, Oct 25, 2018.

1. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi folks.

I just purchased my 2010 used Prius w/ 101k miles this past Sunday 10/21/2018. I verified that everything worked and so i committed to the purchase.

Yesterday, i was driving home and it started getting cold so i turned on the air. It doesn't blow through the vents and only the feet no matter what setting i used. Hot or Cold, AC on/off. it kept on blowing air on my feet. Defroster front/rear works w/ no issues.

I got home and played with the settings again (after several power cycles) and voila somehow the air from the vents started coming out. Hot/cold air works.

Fast forward to today... same issue and air only comes out from feet regardless of status.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're in AUTO, it will blow air to the feet because warming your feet makes you feel warmer sooner and also, warm air rises. It may not be as obvious in CA as it is when it's 0°F or below in other parts of the country.

You can always manually change the mode by pressing the MODE button.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks @Tideland Prius. I tried with auto/ manual settings. air temperature isn't even changing. I even checked Toyota service records and the previous owner had that issue but doesn't seem to be resolved.

"DIAGNOSIS AND/OR INSPECTION ONLY. ~|~CUSTOMER STATES THE A/C DOESN'T BLOW OUT AIR FROM VENT. A/C RESET BY ITSELF WHEN START THE VEH IN THE MORNING. CHECK AND ADVISE ~|~ ~|~97958 REC. MORE TIME TO GAIN ACCESS TO SERVOS & HEATER CONTROL TO DIAGNOSE . CUSTOMER ADVISED"

When it does seem to work, all settings function properly.

Seems like i will be taking it to the dealer for inspection.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, alright. Hopefully it's nothing major.

DeezPrius likes this.
  5. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update 01/18/2019:
    Everything was working fine for a while until the issue itself replicated a couple times since original post. Usually it lasts for about a week.

This week the same issue. Could not vent properly and temperature would not change. I've been using my other vehicle hoping the issue replicated itself today for my appointment ... and i'm glad it did.

I just dropped off the Prius to the dealership and they honored a coupon for HVAC inspection. I'll let you guys know what they find out. I'm thinking it might be a sensor issue since most of the times, it works as it should

6. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just got a call. Its the Air Outlet control servo motor. Part is about 300 but including labor... 1500.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hard to get to in the Gen 3, a bunch of dash is in the way. There's the high labor charge.

If you're up for a tedious job yourself, you could save a bunch of that.

8. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree @chapmanf.Too tedious for me. They offered me 1100 and i agreed. Dealer gave me a rental, but it smells like cigars. I got home and used my jeep jk for the rest of the day.

I had a feeling it was going to be $$ as previous owner did visit a dealer for the same issue according to the Toyota Owner website, but never resolved. I currently have 107k miles (purchased at 101k). I should be getting my Prius tomorrow... hopefully in time to watch the game.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bad news. While tearing down to replace the servo, the tech found an internal piece that is cracked. The piece that broke is part of the WHOLE AC Assembly.

Attached Files:

10. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Assembly is 2394.18, but they are "discounting" it to $1671.91. servo is about 150ish.

Price before tax is about 1821.91 for parts (guesstimate).

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That really stinks... but for what it’s worth, the Prius is one of the most reliable and trouble-free cars in the world. In the Maintenance and Troubleshooting area of this board, you’ll find a sticky to the NutzAboutBolts Prius maintenance videos. They are excellent and easy to follow.

The plus side to your repair is that you should tell them for sure to very thoroughly clean ALL of the ventilation system. After nine years, there will be dirt and contaminants which will make odors. You have an opportunity to have a 100% fresh ventilation system. Nice!

I’ve had my Prius since 2012 and it’s been flawless and very easy to maintain. I bought a certified used BMW with 14,000 miles which keeps having problems. Today, I took the BMW in for a free inspection and they told me the oil filter housing and oil pan are both seeping oil. They will replace them free with newer parts, but... that shouldn’t happen. Lots of little stuff like that.

I enjoy driving the BMW more, for certain, but they sure don’t understand quality the way Toyota does!

Raytheeagle and DeezPrius like this.
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do they have an idea why that cracked? Something get stuck in there?

Might be a job for a splint and a blob of plastic weld ... if you can find stamped letters on that part somewhere identifying the type of resin.

If they replace the unit, do they let you have the old one?

PriFi and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @Rebound ... it does but it is what it is. In my past life, i would do it myself, but nowadays i don't have the luxury of time and i rather spend time with family than working on cars. Well anything over a few hours.

14. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't know how it got cracked, but i will sure ask when i pick it up.

I did ask if they can just patch it up and they said no.

Not sure if they'll give me the old one, but i'm pretty sure they will if i ask. I'm not going to keep it anyways.

15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Like I said, at least you’ll have a factory-clean ventilation system.

DeezPrius likes this.
  16. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @Rebound ... thanks for your words of encouragement though regarding the reliability. I appreciate it and it did give me a sigh of relief as my current issue is pretty pricey.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Seems like your neck of the woods has some active groups that meet and mess with Prius stuff ... maybe there'll be somebody who'd take it off your hands and experiment with some splinting and bonding.

DeezPrius likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Kinda absurd when a failure of a small plastic piece bricks a very expensive component.

We've got a dishwasher with a latch mechanism that snaps regularly, one little plastic axle, every 3~4 years, and the replacement is the entire component, with all the electronics, $50~60 a pop.

Similarly with a microwave: could have got the cheaper version with a straightforward latch, but we sprung for the higher end one, you push a rectangular plastic panel on the front, which pivots something, which compresses something, which rotates something, and somewhere in there is an overstressed plastic piece that breaks, a couple of times now. Rather than brick the micro I've taken it apart, twice now, and with various bits of rod, pipe hanger and wood blocks, have given it another life.

Here's the old dishwasher latch. In the forefront, the right side pin is ok, leftside pin (in masking tape) has cracked it's plastic surround:

IMG_9887.JPG

#18 Mendel Leisk, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    DeezPrius likes this.
  19. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With parts/install ... 2481 excluding tax. Good thing its tax season is approaching.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @Rebound ... i asked if they will clean out the ventilation system and they said "YES" and will also add a new cabin filter. Brand new ventilation system like you said. I should be getting it later today or tomorrow am for sure.