1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New member introduction

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Toyota2, Oct 20, 2022.

1. Toyota2

Toyota2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Might as well have an intro with some Meat .
    In my life I have good memories of Toyotas my sisters 1972 Ha , My used Tacoma
    BUT Gone due to a accident at 285,000 miles .
    Well what went down is I have a Honda ridgeline & Chevy silverado , year 2011 on each , great autos
    7 months ago took on a job (painter journeymen in union) I love but plenty of driving. Focusing on the job that I excepted fuel cost as a business expense
    WELL SAYING THAT AND LIVING IT ARE TWO DIFERENT THINGS . after 7 months I tossed in the towel
    I say UNCLE , this is not going to work I AM GETTIN BROKE . I sat down looked over my records & faced the truth , work @ 2 months fuel cost $1,500
    personal use for two months adds another $600 = $2,100 heading for $12,600 per year & in last 7 months at $6000 to $7000 and have been in a fuel cash burn .
    What does help is separate income from scrapping metal allowing trucks to earn But fuel cost can exceed that extra side work $$ . Conclusion I am going broke
    Fuel - Food - House cost -Yada Yada . This is REAL Id almost say an attempt to destroy lives.
    I pushed on & seeked help from my favorite used car dealer a 2008 Prius 137,000 mile just came in on trade . With looks only a mother could love
    yes it's bit tattered on the outside . Then I drove it ,wow , smooth not a rattle it just ran so sweet , smooth silent motor This is a freak ..
    The test drive sneaks to 50 mph barely touching peddle
    look at the center dash screen & there it is 45 - 55 - 64 - 72 ?? MPG mostly above 55 MPG .This is a life changer . Loan paper work signed
    I'll have Prius in 2 days .
    I'm here to learn & share . For now this gen 2 is for my survival & I must keep this car right .
    My life depends on it , Let the fun begin
    Howdy to all .

Burna J, Montgomery and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

sounds like you found a good one, please keep us posted on your experience.

all the best!

3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota2, You have seen the light! I learned 7 years ago that Hybrid vehicles was the future. Electric cars are here, but, we still need the electrical grids to sustain a realistic future for them. In the meantime, petroleum companies are taking advantage of more and more people buying Hybrids by raising prices. 7 years ago I did the same math and realized that I was throwing away money every month that could go to savings, or a nice vacation.............anything but to the petroleum companies!

4. Toyota2

Toyota2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    My plan is to take fuel money I was spending put in separate account so it's like gone also But I will use it for Prius expenses from insurance to car payment and fuel , Like today I spent $60 to go to work , ( in truck ) Tomorrow is first day out with Prius & will be about 175 mile journey . I have a feeling of hope . I'm curious if what was a fuel cost will build into a savings wile also delivering transportation cost needs
    --------------------------------
    I think Hybrids could be best balance if every car becomes pure electric
    Many unanswered questions ?
    Resources needed for dare I say for billions of cars . The electric grid not ready . can your average working person afford one . Will there be less pollution or is it being put some place else

#4 Toyota2, Oct 20, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  5. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an '08 too, looks like a beat up old junker on the outside but I paid well under the market value nearly 5 years ago and that was the reason. 200k miles when I got it, 235k now and has never had a serious issue, drives like a dream - smooth as silk and great on fuel.

As a reward for being such a good motor I reset the clock on the coolant, brake fluid, transaxle fluid and spark plugs recently, plus it's getting 6 month oil & filter changes from now on, and it will soon be rust-treated and under-sealed. The final touch will be to clean up the bodywork and get a respray.

I'm usually the last owner of cars and I hold on to 'em as long as possible (I hate having to buy cars - too many unknowns); I recently asked my mechanic how long it had left, he said "as long as you want" so henceforth it'll be maintained like a fully warranted showroom stunner!