1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New member needs some advice please.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chrisleroux, Jan 12, 2018.

1. chrisleroux

chrisleroux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used this video for battery testing??? and loaded the accessory circuit through lights, and wiper, and defrost and it seemingly passed, was this procedure wrong??

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @TMR-JWAP has a process he likes to use to load test the HV battery.
    If you need to replace the HV battery and you are DIY, consider the kit of new cells from @2k1Toaster here for $1600 delivered.

3. chrisleroux

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    all advice/suggestions/options appreciated, and considered, thank you

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I liked the vido, it made sense and is easy to do. A good start for troubleshooting. Thumbs up.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, let's not over-complicate this. He tested the 12v. It's fine. The lights on the dash are the standard lights seen for a HV battery failure. The codes provided are standard for a HV battery failure. Another poster mentioned that the system will not charge the 12v battery from the HV battery when it is faulted. I don't know if that is correct or not, but it makes sense. I've never looked into it. Don't get sidetracked by the 12v battery. The p3019 means block 9 is weak, he states that in the first post. Rocket science is not needed. Block 9 most likely has a single failed module. That would be module 17 or 18 from the end of the pack that doesn't have the ECU. The most basic thing that can be done to get this battery back going again is to just swap out the failed module with a module reasonably matched to the estimated average of the remaining modules. Is it perfect? NO. Will it get the car going again? Very likely.

If the OP has a bluetooth OBD device, he can download the Hybrid Assistant and Hybrid Reporter apps to an android phone and use those apps to get a visual of how each block is performing. When you have that information, you can then evaluate any further adjustments to the modules/blocks to minimize the delta V of the blocks. The ECU just compares the highest voltage to the lowest, so the goal is to have them all close to the same values.

SFO, padroo and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like a plan.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No that is the test we all use here, and if you got satisfactory results using that, you'll be fine. What 05PreeUs means is that the machines they use to test normal starting batteries can't be use reliably to test Prius batteries, due to use profile of the Prius 12 V battery.

chrisleroux likes this.
  8. chrisleroux

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anybody know of where to get known good but used tested modules ?

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @TMR-JWAP and @ericbecky.

chrisleroux likes this.
  10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate to say it.
    But unless someone presents themselves as being experienced, qualified, and very handy, I don't recommend all the module swapping, battery balancing that many do embrace.
    If often just becomes a cascade of rapid or slow failure. Of repeated frustration.

I have no idea about the personal skills of the OP in this thread, nor the desire to IMO band-aid the repair. But I would recommend simply replacing the 12 volt battery...it is at least 3 years old, and if you want to continue with the vehicle for a reliable period of time, replacing the HV batttery, OEM. I wouldn't bother with remanufactured options, too many horror stories.

My general advice to anyone, is if you can't really afford to replace a HV battery fully and at cost? You really can't afford to be owning an older used Prius.
    Sure there are a lot of things you can do, but to the general public, I don't really like presenting the HV battery as a user repairable component. It's high voltage, and can be dangerous.

chrisleroux and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two