1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new michelin energy saver tire not coming to US

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by konakahuna, Jan 19, 2008.

1. AlaskanPrius08

AlaskanPrius08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am looking for the absolute best tire for gas mileage that I can buy. I am in Alaska and I run Nokian Hakkapelitta studded tires in the winter, so traction on snow is not a factor in a new set of tires for our spring, summer, and fall driving.

Is the Michellin Energy Saver A/S the best???

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. tenorii

tenorii New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know that your post is old, but I was searching for michelin tires and saw your post. Anyone else reading this, Check out September 2009, Readers Digest. There is an ad for Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires. I guess they are coming to US. Check out the web site Michelinman.com/drivegreen Hope this helps all. I'm doing some research to see if these tires are worth the price. Any ideas about it or anybody that has purchased these tires, let me know. I'm interested.

1 person likes this.
  3. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the V with 17" rims has come through with 215/45/17 Michenlins Not on all V but a few that I have seen.;)

1 person likes this.
  4. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't that the Michelin Pilot, and not the Energy Saver A/S? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  5. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Never say never.
    The Energy Saver is here.I just put a set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires, 185/65/15, on my Gen II Prius. I got 60K out of the original Integretys.
    I purchased the Energy Saver A/S tires at Costco, just a few days ago, and got $70.00 off with one of their coupons.

It's a great tire and I already see an increase in MPG. (For the last year my tank averages have been about 58MPG. Down a couple MPG or so since the original tires had become greatly worn.)
    Currently, my tank average is 62 MPG over 600 miles traveled.
    Michelin advertises as much as an 8% increase in MPG over ordinary tires. 58 x .08 = 4.6 MPG. Which is about what I gained.

There is no doubt these tire have a lower rolling resistence. I can glide further, and maintain higher speeds longer in glides, compared to the OEM Integritys. I drive about 100 miles a day r/t to work. These judgements are made over routinley traveled roads. Another indicator is when on cruise control, the car drops into warp stealth on the down hills sooner and stays there longer, on known stretches of interstate.

The Energy Saver is noticable lighter, and has a more flexible sidewall, than a same size Michelin Primacy. Compared to the original Integretys, my impressions are the Energy Saver rides smoother, steers sharper, corners slightly better, and is a general improvement in handling. Road noise is equal, or maybe slightly quieter, than the Integretys. Road noise seems to be decreasing as they have worn in over the last few days.

I am very happy, and the Energy Savers tire seems to be legitiment.
    I'm glad Michelin has finally offered them here in the US. A couple years ago when they came out in Europe, the word was US would not see them.
    I had been comtemplating what tire to go with, when the time came, and the timing for me was perfect.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What was your end price for the Energy Savers? What psi were you running your Integrities? and what psi your Energy Savers? Did they give you a number of miles that you can expect to get out of your Energy Savers? At 60k you did great with your Integrities! It is generally assumed that rolling resistance improves as a tire wears out (Michelin says it improves by 25%), so it is significant if your new Energy Savers are doing better off the rack than what your worn out Integrities were.

PA P

1 person likes this.
  7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TireRack.com has just roadtested the Michelin Energy Saver A/S, Bridgestone Ecopia EP100, Yokohama dB Super E-Spec, Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max, Michelin HydroEdge with Green X, Goodyear Assurance ComforTred and the Gen II OEM Goodyear Integrity -- all on a Gen II Prius.

Here are the MPG results and % comparison against the OEM Integrities:

Michelin Energy Saver A/S: 53.8 MPG +4.74%

Bridgestone Ecopia EP100: 53.5 MPG +4.12%

Yokohama dB Super E-Spec: 52.8 MPG +2.81%

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max: 51.6 MPG +0.37%

Goodyear Integrity (O.E.): 51.4 MPG --

Michelin HydroEdge with Green X: 51.1 MPG -0.59%

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred: 50.0 MPG -2.64%

Check out this new thread about the new TireRack road test, which also has a link to the TireRack article which is worth reading in its entirety:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ity-against-energy-saver-ecopia-fuel-max.html

3 people like this.
  8. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I ran the Integrety's at 42/40 PSI . I've got the new Energy Savers at the same PSI, 42/40. When I asked the Costco guys to pump them up to that, one guy asked me if I was going for the gas mileage record or something....
    Price with discount , balanced and mounted, $484 + tax.
    There is no tread wear warranty, nor any guarantee's from Michelin.
    That does concern me, but only time will tell.
    I did see on the Michelin website that these tires are targeted toward folks who drive "less that 10K/ yr." Hmm...?
    The new 'GreenX ' HydroTreads are recommended for high mileage drivers. They are a new LRR compound.
    Energy Savers have a treadwear rating of 480, and Integrity's had 460, I think. Igot 60K out of them, which is far better than most, so maybe I'll do good with the new Michelins.

9. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Per the Michelin website:

"Longest tread life of any super fuel-efficient tire (lasting up to 16,000 miles longer)4"

Footnote 4 says

"Based on independent test results compared to Goodyear® Assurance® Fuel Max® and Bridgestone® Ecopia™ EP100, P185/65R15 size."

I'm looking at the Ecopia's at $81 each. Energy Savers are $120 each. Not sure 50% higher price is worth 16k miles more.

10. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good to know on the treadlife claims.
    But it's all subjective and pretty dependent on driving style and care. Even uniform treadwear ratings between manufactures are not comparable.
    With discount I paid like $105/tire.
    So it's a $56 difference. But the value is not just additional tread life of the tire, but the greater fuel savings also. It's hard to figure value in these tires.

11. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Energy Saver is 0.6% better FE than Ecopia. That's a wash if you ask me. How do you get the discount? Even with the discount, there is not a clear winner.

12. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Costco runs a discount on Michelin tires about quarterly via coupons and website advertising.
    The Ecopia, is a great value. That's what I was attempting to say.

13. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Energyâ„¢ Saver 195/55R16 87V

[​IMG] Enlarge Sidewall: Black Sidewall
    Model # (MSPN): 17518
    Benefits

• Go Farther with Each Tank of Gas
    • Up to 10 feet Shorter Stopping in Wet Conditions2
    • Eco-friendly, MICHELIN® Green-X® tire
    Tire Details

14. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Isn't that a European only, summer performance tire?

15. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    it was on the US site!

16. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Great place to buy tires. Mounted, balanced, filled with nitrogen and the road hazard is great. Free tire rotations and re-balance every 7500 miles, and flat repar. If the tire is not repairable, you get another tire free( you just have to pay for the new tire road hazard warranty. ($15.00) Guess the only place to buy tires for me especially when Costco has that $70 or $80 off on a set of four. What is nice is if they do not have the tires in stock they will order them OR you can order them on line at Costco.com

17. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have over 1,000 miles on my Energy Saver Tires and I am seeing a realistic gain of 2-4 MPG so far. It only seems to get better.

My wife, who believe me does not alway drive for MPG's, even told me "these tires really roll easy".

They are quiet, handle very well, and they are available in the U.S., I purchased mine in Sept 2009 in Warrenton Oregon, USA, at Costco.

alfon

18. JamesE

JamesE New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm considering the Michelin Energy Saver A/S and the Michelin Hydroedge. Costco has them on sale this month at about the same price. Tirerack tested both of them & found the Energy Saver to be have about 5% better mileage (53.8 vs 51.1 mpg). The Hydroedge rated low on wet braking, which is hard to believe since it appears to be designed as a wet weather tire.

The Hydroedge was recommended by Consumer Reports. It also has much better tread wear (90,000 miles, or 800 Treadwear Grade vs only 480 for the Energy Saver). In other words, it is expected to last almost twice as long.

Seems like the clear choice is the Hydroedge. You'd never save enough gas to pay for a second pair of tires. The only reason for the Energy Savers is if you are obsessed with MPG, which many are.

I wish Costco carried the MXV4. I've used them before & liked them a lot. Sam's Club does carry them, but their sale just expired.

So, any downside to the Hydroedges?

19. Eric Nothman

Eric Nothman Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The total cost of ownership between the new HydroEdge (HE) with Green X and the new Michelin Energy Savers (ES) is nearly identical using the following assumptions:

Energy Saver (ES) treadware of 480 vs HydroEdge (HE) treadware 800 (if linear) implies ES will last 55k vs 90k for HE (i.e. HE is about 65% longer wearing)

5% gas savings for ES over HE equates to about 90 gallons savings on the Prius (90k miles = 1,800 gallons at 50 MPG, so 5% = 90 gallons). This produces about $270 savings over 90k miles.

Cost of 4 ES tires is $480, so 65% of this is $312

The $270 in fuel savings over 90k miles is nearly equivalent to the $312 needed to cover the costs to extend from 55k to 90k - (65% more) of ES tread life. So, on TCO basis (avg. yearly tire cost+fuel cost) ES can be cost justified. However, the air pollution and global warming is less with the ES since less fossil fuel is burned. Based on the assumptions above this is in essence a redirection of costs on a nearly cost neutral basis from fuel creation/burning into tire making.

1 person likes this.
  20. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Agreed. I am wondering why Michelin is recommending these tires to low-mileage drivers? My earlier assumption was they may only be expecting 30,000 miles or so out of them. It will be interesting to see how long they actually last. If they only get about half the miles of the HydroEdge it would mean double the tires for the landfill.

I replaced my Integrities with the Goodyear Fuel Max a few months ago. I am very happy with them, but am also anxious to see how many miles I get on them. Two reasons I chose them over the HydroEdge are rolling resistance and that they are a quieter tire than the Integrity. I believe the HydroEdge is louder than the Integrity.

PA P