1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New MIT Lithium Battery technology

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Steve Cebu, May 10, 2009.

1. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not certain if this has been posted before I did check but didn't see anything. This new lithium nickel manganese oxide battery would make a plug in Prius something everyone would want to buy. Plus it's a lot safer!
    I did read another article that I can't find right now, but fully charging a Prius battery in 5-10 mins would be something that would change the whole ball game. Charging up a battery for hours seems impractical. This would make all the difference.
    When you add that to the fact that the battery will not degrade overtime you would have a battery that would easily last the life of the car.
    Here are some links.
    Re-engineered battery material could lead to rapid recharging of many devices - MIT News Office

MIT chips away at lithium ion barrier | Planetary Gear - CNET News

MIT powers up new battery for hybrid cars - MIT News Office

New Lithium Battery Could Take Seconds to Charge - News and Analysis by PC Magazine

Again I apologize if this is old news.
    Steve

2. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yep, this was posted before. I'm sure ALL car manufacturers are looking at new battery technology. I have no doubt there will be other breakthru's in the future.