1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New music with a positive "awareness" message

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, May 9, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Regardless of any contrarian arguements I feel this is a good thing. It helps balance the other music that contains a truely harmful message. You don't have to like the music I posted but at least take a peek at the videos to see what our youth is watching. :) So this doesn't make me a hypocrit, I am not posting to argue views. Just sharing new music. :)

If you know of others please post them up!

*You Tube and Google Videos*
    Linkin Park - What I've Done

Nickelback - If Everybody Cared

John Mayer - Belief (live) great lyrics

John Mayer - Waiting on the World To Change

Disturbed - Land of Confusion (great remake and interesting video)

Eminem - Mosh (busting awareness but it's edgy and language explicit)

2. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Heh, it's kinda funny, but If Everyone Cared has been running through my mind all day.

Good post! I needed something to help offset all the negativity going around.

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

There's just something not quite right about "positive" music...

I want to hear f'd up lyrics, the more, the better. Remember Ice-T's Body Count album, with the "hit" Cop Killer? :lol:

[​IMG]

Or better yet, Cannibal Corpse's Butchered at Birth Album, with spectacular hits like, "Meat Hook Sodomy"...

If you want to see probably the best Cannibal Corpse album cover ever, go here (warning, not for the MEEK, or those EASILY OFFENDED):

http://st.blog.cz/n/naamah.blog.cz/obrazky/1338916.jpg (I actually owned this t-shirt :lol: )

Seriously, the last thing I'd want is a world the resembles Disney Land.... :angry:

4. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Except for Mayer, the other groups are some of mine and my sons favs (I like Mayer's stuff, but honestly don't have any of his songs - nice riffs on Belief, however). Cool vids, especially liked Nickelback's....

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ May 9 2007, 09:04 PM) [snapback]438819[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Zen. :)

My school created an essay contest based on sustainability and John Mayer's song "Wainting on the World to Change". I don't really care for the music but the lyrical content was pretty good. Belief is just a damn good sounding piece of music. :)

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    system of a down is known to do that. what first comes to mind is "prison song" and of course "byob"... i might just listen to my system collection at the gym to pick out others that don't come to mind immediately.

oh who else... bad religion has done some interesting social commentary. and if you think disturbed's land of confusion is good, i think you would enjoy "deify"

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 10 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]439454[/snapback]</div>

Good call!

Bad Religion has been part of my collection since I started skating in the mid 80s but I really started listening to them when they got "big" and put out the "Generator" album. I left them out of this though because of their obvious distaste for organized religion. lol Pennywise was left out as well because of the explicit lyrics. I have all of Disturbed's cds though!

I'll check out the System of a Down songs though. If you have others post em up. Rage Against the Machine is another we should add.

Post up video links Yo!

8. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 10 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]439456[/snapback]</div>
    System of a Down is one of my favorites. Saw 'em in concert last year along with the Mars Volta (another equally, amazing band).

System of a Down - B.Y.O.B.

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ahh, here's one i had forgotten... papa roach's hardcore anti-materialism rant "between angels and insects"

u2 has been putting out awareness messages for years, also.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 11 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]440418[/snapback]</div>

LOL I know Jerry (guitar) and Tobin (bass) from P-Roach. My best friend dated Jerry for 5yrs or so and I'd hang out with her while the guys went into the bedroom to write music on the computer.

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, F8L. Ahh, the power of art. The subversive in me loves this stuff. Takes me all the way back to Supertramp's If Everyone Were Listening. It's heartwarming to see the spirit of rebellion is alive and well.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ May 12 2007, 11:26 AM) [snapback]440652[/snapback]</div>
    That's what it's all about my friend. Sharing and empowernig each other in positive ways. :)

There is some really wild stuff going on with Nine Inch Nails too. I was reading about it in my school paper.

"Trent Reznor, leader of the industrial rock band Nine Inch Nails, is playing a mysterious game with fans as they await his new album. Year Zero, scheduled to be released April 17th, is a concept album, which takes places in the year 2020.

The album talks of a dystoptian new America where the religious right has assumed totilitarian control of the government. Everything from books to music and night clubs has been banned, and the government contaminates the water with a mind altering drug called Parapin.

Reznor suggests the plot was inspired by true events. "When I look at the cold heart of big business and our murdering government," he said, "I am truely afraid. I don't get a sense there is any humanity or compassion behind those suits as I watch their total disregard for human life and the ecology of this planet."

It goes on to detail different websites and information hidden in bathroom stalls at concerts and such that leads to even more websites and information. Pretty wild stuff. One of the first websites.

The ending of the article:

"Could Reznor and his new album be a chilling premonition of the future? One can only imagine. Perhaps it is more than just a scare tactic or one musician's eerie view of what could come. Perhaps Reznor is trying to get the wheels turning in the mind of a society that seems stalemate. Perhaps he is attempting to feed people of this nation and give them back the strength they had. Perhaps it is time for a resistance. As one of the mysterious websites says. "you have a voice, how are you going to use it?"
    In the end it is kinda wild but it is creative and informative and kids really dig that kind of stuff. :)

13. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 9 2007, 10:10 PM) [snapback]438785[/snapback]</div>
    Great compilation. I specially enjoyed the Linkin Park video.

14. BORNGEARHEAD

BORNGEARHEAD New Member

Tool and Rage Against the Machine are two other good bands with great lyrical content, although they may be too heavy for some.

Tool's song Aenima is one of my favorites.

15. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 9 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]438815[/snapback]</div>
    Please do not reproduce.

16. ALIENCOP

ALIENCOP New Member

If you really want great music with positive awareness messages, check out an artist named Stephen Jacobs and his album "THIS WORLD". It is an astonishing CD of Jazz, Blues, Salsa and World Music with seriously deep environmental narratives in alternation with instrumentals. It is so powerful and relevant that the fossil fuel industries (and a couple of government agencies) had it censored and banned from American radio station
    airplay within a couple of weeks of its national release on radio. Now it is available again on the internet, and they won't be able to stop it this time!

iTunes
    eMusic
    sonyconnect
    Napster
    Rhapsody

They carry it. I think iTunes has the best audio quality of all the above

ALIENCOP

17. BORNGEARHEAD

BORNGEARHEAD New Member

I bought the new Linkin Park cd the other day. About half of their songs on it are political. I'm loving it.

Bump to the top for music with a message.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BORNGEARHEAD @ May 25 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]450223[/snapback]</div>

Awesome! I have not heard any responses to the cd so on this note I'll be buying it. :)

Thanks for the bump! B)

19. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BORNGEARHEAD @ May 12 2007, 07:36 PM) [snapback]440745[/snapback]</div>
    RATM was (and is- apparently, they are reforming after Audioslave disbanded) a great band- both for their innovative music and social commentary. I read an interesting article last week in one of the guitar magazines about Tom Morello. He performs as a solo acoustic artist calling himself "The Nightwatchman". The article described how he would show up for open mics, playing to a few people and an espresso machine. I know what that's like!
    Another musician, who has to be on any list of contemporary artists who are "aware", is Billy Bragg (with whom Tom Morello has toured). And one CD I would urge everyone to give a listen (actually two CDs, there's a sequel Volume II) is "Mermaid Avenue"- a project that Billy Bragg and Wilco did, setting previously unpublished Woody Guthrie lyrics to music.

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh yeah... NIN's year zero is an excellent piece of work with a deep underlying storyline and social/political commentary. fascinating stuff. highly recommended.

however i will not comment on how i got this particular excellent piece of work :ph34r: