1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Nitrus Orange Owner from Malaysia

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Izham Aziz, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Izham Aziz

Izham Aziz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A

I've been watching this site anonymously before which led to me getting my dad a Prius C. Been scouting for a low FC car for them as they need to travel 200km every once a week. My old car they drove is a 1.2 liter Proton Savvy which is very fuel efficient doing an average of 6L/100km (40MPG) at 60-70mph constant (about 12-13L of petrol for their weekly trip).

Alantris781.jpg

My Nitrus Orange :) C. Here we don't get the options as everywhere else. Mine comes with 15inch alloy wheels including the spares and Bridgestone Potenza. Comes with Smart Key system, some functions in the Multi Information Display (fuel price, FC comparison) is not available, and it comes with Toyota DVD-AVN (Basically a DVD player with touch screen including bluetooth connectivity for audio and telephone and Garmin GPS Nav) instead of the Entune.

I've done 998km so far on the C. Not sure how to run in the car, but I am truly amazed at it's fuel efficiency. I drove it just like I drove any car, I topped up the fuel tank at the dealer until first click about 29L, drove for 720km later and topped up another 29L to first click, translating to 24.8km/L (58mpg). When I drove back to send the car to my Dad, the fuel gauge didn't move the first 120km or so and after 212km, it dropped 1 bar.. if my calculation is correct, it only consumes 8Liters for my 200km trip.

After my second fill up of 29L, my Dad drove me back, and the car was registering and all time FC of 27.9km/L (65.62mpg) Don't know if that is correct, last time it registered 23.9L/km (56mpg) on the display but 24.8L/km (58mpg) hand calculated. Maybe because on the return trip we were much constant and we run around city traffic a lot (for almost 40km)?

Alantris787.jpg

I found that the car tend to go EV when it is lower than 60kmh (35mph). BTW, I am loving the car, the driver / passenger seat is very comfortable and it holds the driver well, noise level is pretty good no rattles and I can have a good audible conversation even on the hand's free unit at 60-65mph without having to shout. I loved the suspensions, not "sporty" or such, but it absorbs bumps and harsh roads very well.

Just a few question left for me, the service book is scheduled for Servicing every 5000km, with 1000km first compulsary service, 5000km anti rust check, 10 000km oil change, 15 000km anti rust check, and it goes on that way.

Is it really necessary to have the anti rust checked every 5000km? Or are they just finding excuse to get me to pay unnecessary labour charge? And at 1000km, do they change the Oil and filters like a regular car? Or is it just a normal check up? And is there a way to change the Fuel Consumption unit? (From Km/L to L/100km?).

And also, the Toyota DVD-AVN doesn't allow me to switch on DVD, punch in phone numbers, and other features when the car is moving. Anyway to bypass this?

minkus likes this.
  2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Always follow the service requirements as specified by your local Toyota Head Office.

Using the expensive 0w20 oil the oil changes are every 10,000 miles but it might be lower for you because of higher humidity or use of a different oil. The body work checks here are done as part of normal servicing but if you have to pay for it and that's common locally, then thats what you must do to keep the warranty. In the UK we have big problems with cars rusting because of the salt they put on the roads in winter. Does the humidity in Malaysia cause rust problems too? If so, it's worth getting the body work checks done. Saying that, the Prius over here does seem to resist rust very well.

Enjoy your new ride.

3. Izham Aziz

Izham Aziz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Rust isn't really an issue here, we're a tropical country right on the equator. Temp is 31-32 degrees all day long and my previous car is 7 years old with no hint of rust. I'm pretty unsure as this is my first Toyota so kinda wondering if it's normal, it says in the service booklet 1st, 2nd and 3rd service are free, but they did not provide a coupon for it. We've had Mitsubishi and Proton before and they provide a coupon for free service to be presented at the service center.

Also, I know the US model have a sort of buzzer installed when the car is on EV, is this a simple installation? 2 pedestrian almost hit me when I was driving around some shop lots in town, I saw him look at me, then look the other way then they keep walking across and i had to honk or they would've hit my fender. And the other one is an old lady walking in the same direction, she gave a glance yet she still crosses, all these happens when i'm driving around at 5-10mph, luckily. On EV, the car is TOO quiet that I can creep behind a person unnoticed!!

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's part of the fun of owning a hybrid :)

5. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used to drive an old, 2 tonne diesel London Taxi and people would still walk out in front of me. It was big, the engine clattered and it had a big yellow light on the roof. If they didn't hear or see that coming then there's no hope!

7. AWDstylez

AWDstylez 500hp to 99hp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

That video was absolutely horrible. The VPNS sounds nothing like that.

Daze likes this.
  8. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats! Surprised there is no VPNS on your car. Mine does sound like the video - maybe not as loud from inside.

9. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are lucky to get a Garmin GPS system vs. Toyota system. Some pix of that screen and how you like it (or your Dad likes it) would be interesting.

10. Izham Aziz

Izham Aziz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure thing, will post it soon, the Toyota DVD-AVN (Garmin GPS) unit is an add-on actually for MYR2990.oo (About USD800.00) the unit also includes the reverse camera. However, our Prius C doesn't come with the ECO-Saving display, only 6 displays available on the multi info screen. Our AUX/USB is right on the unit and not at the lower compartment as in the ones advertise at Toyota websites.

11. Izham Aziz

Izham Aziz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Just did my first 1000km service yesterday, total damage is USD34.20. Next scheduled service and estimate is 5000km and USD30.00.

Miakaka, thats very cheap so I guess I wouldn't mind the 5000km intervals now :D

The schedule is 1K -> 5k -> 10k -> 20k -> every next 10 000km.

12. AWDstylez

AWDstylez 500hp to 99hp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Further proof that the 10,000 mile intervals are Toyota catering to whining American rather then doing what's best for the engine.

13. Izham Aziz

Izham Aziz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, first 1000km and 5000km service is using Toyota mineral engine oil and choice of mineral or synthetic will be given only at the 10 000km and above service schedule.

And they also print a warning on my receipt non standard floor mat. hahaha

14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's sounding wrong to me. They only use the correct Toyota ow20 oil every 10k km but will change your oil with cheap stuff every 3k km? Your fuel economy WILL be way down if using anything other than the 0w20.

Sounds like they're just trying to keep their bottom line with the old oil change schedule which is not required by Toyota in most other international markets. The 0w20 oil is expensive though.

15. Izham Aziz

Izham Aziz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it's not that, the service schedule is as follows:

1000KM 1st service. (or 1 month)
    5000KM 2nd Service (or 3 month)
    every 10000KM that follows.

The service Intervals are every 10 000 KM. However they put the 1000km and 5000km service as compulsary.
    The first 1000km oil change is using Mineral oil they only code as TWGM in the receipt. They mentioned I need to come for the 5000KM service too for an oil change and it will be using similar mineral oil.

After this first 2 times "Compulsary" service, the service intervals will be every 10000km. and we can choose for Synthetic or Mineral, both oil provided by toyota with the latter being the cheaper option.

Only during the first 2 compulsary service they insisted the TWGM oil, and they also did a check on the other stuffs too (battery, brakes and other things, service took 3 hours) They emphasize that the "compulsary" first 2 service is crucial to ensure long life of the engine. Well sounds like marketing stuff to me but since it's cheap, so I'll just do the first 2 compulsary service and then goes for the standard Toyota 0W-20 Synthetic every 10000km afterwards.

16. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Perhaps someone with experience from Toyota want to comment on this? My understanding was that the 0w20 oil offered great protection and early oil changes on new engines were a thing of the past. Taking oil expensive 0w20 oil and refilling with cheaper oil in the early days of the engine just seems crazy to me. If you're going to insist on changing oil early on, you should continue to use the 0w20 oil as specified later on.

This all sounds like the dealer doing something that isn't required anywhere else in the World. It can't be because of your humid climate as Florida is humid and they only have the 10k mile service interval.

17. Izham Aziz

Izham Aziz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no idea. But anyhow, I will opt for the synthetic on my 10K service. It's the other way round. I don't know what oil is in it when I took it from the dealer, at 1K service they replace it with TWGM oil, and at 5K, and at 10K then it will be replaced with the more expensive synthetic oil and it goes on that way every 10K later.

Anyway, here is the picture of the DVD-AVN unit we get here, it comes with GARMIN GPS navigation.

10072012_005_.jpg

18. AWDstylez

AWDstylez 500hp to 99hp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Mineral oil is for proper break in. They're doing it the right way over there and the wrong way over here. Synthetic offers too much protection to let parts wear together properly. Break in oil should be detergent free, which mineral oil is.

19. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    New cars come with owners manuals and maintenance schedules. What is the schedule in your literature, what are the approved oil weights, what are the approved oil types, and how do they relate to what your dealer is trying to hand you¿

Don't be alarmed at short intervals and/or convention oils. Oil is still plentiful if not cheap. If your mileage takes a hit with a particular oil, change it. It won't be the end of the world. Curious, though, what oils are approved in your area.

Your C looks like mine. I love mine. I have about 5500 miles on mine and did 74.6 mpgs on my 12 mile trip home from worktoday. It's pretty sensitive to using the a/c, but I'm from the old country (the60's) and can live without it for a bit.

Best o' luck to you and your Dad with your C. Aslong as you don't need to smoke the tires you'll be fine.

20. pubby

pubby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Izham, I did hear from another user from a local forum (Malaysian) that one of their SC advised mineral oil until the 10k mark, and then fully synthetic from then on if possible (while I hear others were saying go semi until 10k then fully synth - these are just what they've been saying randomly). I guess different SC from different branches will tell you different things heh. I just went ahead and did semi on my first service though., fully was a lil expensive for me (not to mention my SC kept discouraging me from using mineral oil). UMW uses 10W30 by the way (there was a writeup about it somewhere and their reasoning) instead of 0W20, apparently fine for our climate.
    Oh, and check under your car, I bet there are rusty pieces - a few of us have asked UMW about it and they said it's normal and that the support bars have been treated and will not affect and rust your exhaust pipe (or so they say, I saw one users exhaust with some rust already on it). In any case, don't be surprised (they also mentioned they will not treat it).

I'm really loving my c, it's done me well so far and the c population has exploded here. I'm sure as word spreads around there will be more c's on the road. On my end I've only seen 2 orange ones though, the most common ones I see are white and gray. Good to hear you're happy with it, it's a good car!

Here are the service details for those in Malaysia:
    [​IMG]