1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New noise after coolant fill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tony714, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey Prius Peeps, 2005 with 230k on the clock. Just had p1121 pop up and did the coolant valve replacement. Easy peasy fix. Drained the old coolant, slapped on the new valve, and bled the system correctly, or so I thought.

Now the whirring noise at startup is different. Thoughts?

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Make a recording of your noise and post it. AFAIK, the "usual" whirring noise at startup is the brake actuator pump.

3. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh! So that is the brake pump huh? Good to know. I’ll see if I can record the noise

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you measure the amount added back versus what was drained out?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    SFO, I did. And the amount that came out, went back in. So that is why I made the unsure claim about performing the fill-up procedure correctly.

SFO likes this.
  6. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok, so update. The noise is coming from the coolant pump itself. It goes through several “pump” cycles in a row, then shuts off.

I was stopped when I heard it and touched the pump to see if it was indeed that. It was the three way pump.

I changed the pump a few days ago. Is this normal

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was the new valve an OEM replacement, and purchased from the dealership?

Others have reversed two of the three hoses when reinstalling the new valve, is that a possibility?

#7 SFO, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you mean by the three-way pump?

The three-way coolant valve is, well, a valve not a pump and is part of the engine cooling loop.

The pump that is in the same general area is the inverter coolant pump and is part of the inverter coolant loop

These two loops are totally separate from each other.

It would be good to step back and clarify what it is that you replaced and to what part you are now referring.

SFO likes this.
  9. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    3-way valve.

10. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Purchased the valve from a 3rd party parts distributor, so non OEM. Pops is a mechanic and we did the work at his shop. 98% sure we got the hoses back on right.

Now that I am more aware, I’ve been leaving the radio off to hear the 3way valve noise, and on cold start up I get whooshing water noise in the mid dash area.

So much damn fuss over such a small part. The install was less than fun too.

11. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update: 100% sure the hoses are on correctly. The hose with the dot is on top.

SFO likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First that after Market valve will probably not last long you must use the TOYOTA OEM Denso valve.

The whooshing sound your hearing is air in the system. Very difficult to get air out of the ICE coolant loop you must cycle the CHRS pump the thermos by the front of the drivers side front wheel while basically burping the rad by opening the hex valve on the drivers side of the rad.

You probably are checking the coolant level by the over flow tank...dont... that tank can be full and the engine almost empty it is no indicator of coolant level. take the top plastic cover off the top of the rad you will see the rad cap open it up fill up the rad up leave the cap off and put the car in Inspection mode so it will run. Turn on the heat in the cabin full heat.

But be aware it may be very air locked and could overheat you will never know as the car has no temp gauge. Borrow a scangauge from Pops. Do not over heat this motor hilarity will ensue on your wallet.

Search Prius Inspection on youtube.