1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New OEM 12V shows 11.5V after two months?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ericspoor, Mar 7, 2019.

1. ericspoor

ericspoor Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If he did supply one its long gone unfortunately. Plus, I'm enjoying learning more about my car and don't mind picking up automotive tools to fix it that i can use on future vehicles

2. ericspoor

ericspoor Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    ill do that thanks. yeah, I was talking with matt at texas hybrid batteries a few months ago and he mentioned the same, that parasitic draw is an unlikely culprit

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the book that came with my new factory battery says less than 4.2 amps for the SKS battery and less than 3.5 amps for the non SKS battery. The 3.3 amp model would work for both.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My advice would be to hold on to the next one if you happen to need another battery.

5. ericspoor

ericspoor Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes, for sure.

6. ericspoor

ericspoor Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Alright so when we left off i had jumped the car thursday night and drove 20mins. Friday morning i jumoed the car and drove to work pre trip voltahe 12 post trip 12.4. After work i was abke to start the car normally and drive home. This morning i didnt go fro a drive but i noticed the key fob would unlock the car so i assume i couldve. The ctek 3300 arrived so i removed the 12v and am now charging up the battery. Before i started charging the battery was at 12.4. Since the car seemed to charge the 12v from 12 to 12.4 and the voltage held overnight im thinking the dc/dc converter is working and the battery is also still good, but that it never was fully charged + was close to not having sufficient charge the entire couple months ive had it. Hoping that after its fully charged today that everything will be good!

Attached Files:

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The battery looks pretty good, I think your problem may just be a loose connection. Make sure you tighten all the connections around the battery when you install it back. Make sure the ground on the prius body is tight going to the battery negative terminal

8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You should not guess and hope.
    You have a voltmeter, don't stop using it now.

After you think the battery is fully charged, let it sit disconnected for at least 4 hours and then check the voltage; should be around 12.8 or more.

Then check it in the car in the READY mode; should be around 14.1.

9. ericspoor

ericspoor Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    question for you all- the ctek 3300 has an indicator light when the 12v is fully charged. Its been running a few hours now, and i disconnected the charger while im out of the house, the fully charge indictor light not yet illuminated. checking the battery its at 13.1v. how high should a 12v be when fully charged?

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just leave it hooked up till it indicates fully charged. I would have no qualms about leaving the house with it charging. A seriously discharged battery can take up to 10 hours. Voltage after charging is going to read falsely high: a few days use and then measure will give a truer reading.

11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Voltage is only a rough measure of the state-of-charge.
    At 13.1, it can't be too far from full.......if it holds that value.

I agree; connect the charger and leave it connected until the green light comes on.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. ericspoor

ericspoor Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Alright fully charged up the battery and installed it. One thing i noticed was the ground cable had a lot of corrosion so i did what i could to clean it up (see before/after pics). Was that corrission contributory to the low voltage issues? If so did i clean it up e ough or should i get a wire brush and really have at it?

I noticed after i installed the battery that when i turned the car on it initally did the thing where it wont go into ready+ show one gas bar, but after pushing start again it immediately goes into ready so idk if thats just what happens after resetting the 12v or not

I also noticed that immediately after installing the charged up battery i still cant autoroll down the driver window, is that a cause for concern? Perhaps due to the corrosion still present on the ground cable?

Attached Files:

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you've got down to bright metal on the inside of the clamp you'll be good for a while. There's wire brushes for cleaning those clamp insides. They tend to be a bit oversized for prius sized post clamps, but you can get them in there. Hardware stores have similar brushes, for preparing plumbing pipe for soldering, but they'll also work good on clamps I think. Be cognizant that the posts are lead; be careful with the dust.

Might be a consequence of the battery disconnect, it needed to reestablish hybrid battery status.

From page 42 of Owner's Manual, you need to "reteach" it:

upload_2019-3-10_14-54-53.png

14. ericspoor

ericspoor Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    man thats some guru level recollection, thanks!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. ericspoor

ericspoor Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    the window trick worked. measured the 12v in the car after it had been in rest for a few hours, measured 12.8v. the light flash when you unlock the car is maybe twice as bright as it ever has been, so im thinking the battery has always been a bit low since purchase.
    question- i know the battery is supposed to measure at least 13.8 when the car is in READY. is that 13.8 something i should be able to measure immediately after i start the car and the ready light shows?

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes immediately, as the car is charging the battery when it's in READY. It's probably going to be 13.8v to 14.1v

17. ericspoor

ericspoor Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Awesome! Put the car in ready and it measured 14v. Super excited that my dc/dc converter is good, and my hv battery doesn't require replacing. Spent $185 total, which is the same cost of a new 12v, but i learned that my 12v is totally fine, learned a lot about my 12v's operation, and got a sweet supercapacitor jumpstarter and battery charger out of the deal. All in all a fun weekend with my prius, about 1100 more miles till i hit 250k!

bisco likes this.
  18. ericspoor

ericspoor Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Huge thanks to everyone for being gracious with their wisdom and time!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So basically your problem was a corroded ground.

20. ericspoor

ericspoor Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    hard to say