1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Optima @ 12.56v out of the box, charge or return?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by f.s.prius, Jul 16, 2016.

1. f.s.prius

f.s.prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So thought I posted this question yesterday but can't find my thread.

Have a new Optima battery at 12.56v before install. I haven't been able to determine if that means I have a bad battery I should return (Amazon) or just top off charge before install.

Checking the threads I'm unclear if a battery needs to be installed and run up to full charge before getting true performance information or if anything less than 12.8 fresh from the box means not worth installing.

Thanks for any info.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your car will charge it, just install

3. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12.56V is fine. nothing wrong at all.

4. f.s.prius

f.s.prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks, seemed to remember a Toyota document stating a new battery should be 12.8 or above so thought I should double check.

Also have read a few mentions that short drives don't adequately charge the battery and we average about 15-30 minute drives twice a day for commute. That always seemed odd that regular use wouldn't maintain the battery, but I just assumed it was an engineering quirk particular to this gen Prius.

Anyhow since its a new battery just wanted to be cautious since I don't want to deal with it again for a few years and they certainly aren't free.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe get an automotive store to check its Cold Cranking Amps level with a digital load tester, or you can DIY with something like Solar BA5.

If it's still good it'll show CCA at or above spec but suggest to charge and recheck.

The "6 pack" style Optimas can be charged at a bit higher voltage. Research by downolad a CTEK charger manual, either 3.3 or 4.3.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The next time I get one I'll probably charge it up a little before I install, but I dd not check voltage the first time I did it. Yes it will charge up in the car, but the Gen2 does not charge it up very fast, so you need a longer trip to really get a good charge. But in this case maybe not too much extra needed.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try to take some longer drives to help charge it, and measure the resting voltage each mooring to see if it's climbing. 12.56 is fine, but you don't want it to stay there. it should eventually go to 13 or so.

15-30 minutes a day are more than adequate. i had a 15 minute commute each way, and 2 oem batteries lasted 8 years each.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Almost all batteries you pick off the shelf at auto parts stores will not be fully charged. Your car will charge it when you drive.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ I agree with that, that with any decent shape new battery the car will bring it up. It's more just a case of "if you've got the appropriate charger and the time, might as well charge, give it a good start".

bisco likes this.
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ I agree with that, too.