1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner 2005 Prius (Maintenance)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by MileHighHybridOwner, Jun 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure the 12v is up to snuff before you do anything else, but @Raytheeagle has probably hit the nail on the head. Combination meter (CM) failures are not uncommon on the Gen 2 Prius. There are a couple capacitors that fail. If you want to fix it yourself, there are videos on it, iirc. If you're not up to a little soldering, @Texas Hybrid Batteries offers a repaired CM on an exchange basis that's reasonably priced and Matt has a great reputation here on PC.

mikey_t and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. MileHighHybridOwner

MileHighHybridOwner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How would i check if it is the 12v battery? What am i looking for - sorry just a total newbie to these kind of cars
    Thanks

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    put a meter on the jump point in the morning before starting the car. should be 12.4 minimum.

do you know how old it is?

4. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the same issue on my 2004. I asked the dealership about it and apparently Toyota did extend the warranty on it, which I had just fallen out of at the time (around 2013 I think). They quoted me roughly $800 to fix, I wish I had been on this forum at the time and known about other options. I also had bought the car used and though the previous owner had kept meticulous care of it, I guess he never had the issue or it didn't happen enough in his care to think about it.