1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new owner 2005 Prius questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Handballer, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Handballer

Handballer New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I need some advice so bear with me on this rather long story. I recently bought a 2005 Prius with 128,000 miles for cheap, around-town transportation. I bought off a private seller. So far, the vehicle is performing excellently--drives perfectly (wife just returned from a 100-mile trip to Nashville and fell in love with the machine), averaging 43 mpg. Good paint. Nice interior. Before buying, I pulled a Carfax which showed that the first owner had a Toyota dealer perform regular scheduled service. No wrecks reported. The original owner, now aged 85, sold the 2005 to a neighbor at the end of 2016. After that, no more listings on the Carfax. The guy who I bought it from explained that his brother serviced the vehicle. He had installed a new hybrid battery as well as a new 12v because the first owner let it sit for more than a year (after his wife died), which killed the batteries. The batteries looked new, but what do I know since I have no experience with Prii. I'm learning fast, thanks to Priuschat and U-tube videos. One of the videos I watch showed the changes from a 2005 to a 2006. One of the big differences was the dash board. The 2005 has a smooth painted dash while the 2006 is covered in a textured material. Today, while sitting at a traffic light, I noticed that most of my dash had a smooth black surface. However, the glove box and the steering wheel had a textured surface. Finally my question, do any other 2004-2005 owners have dashes with textured glove boxes and steering wheels? As I see it, my dash indicated that the frontal air bags were triggered by a wreck which was not reported on Carfax. Another possible explanation is the dash was replaced during an air bag recall. Any opinions, speculation or knowledge of this situation would be appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! i wouldn't think an airbag recall would require dash parts replacement, bu that's just a guess. i also don't recall an airbag recall back then.

3. Handballer

Handballer New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks. I'm leaning towards my wreck theory and wondering what else the seller failed to disclose. I had the car checked by a mechanic who found no problems, only that the rubber shock covers were beginning to deteriorate. Next step is to have the "new" battery checked.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't know what kind of wreck involves dash part replacement. that would be fairly unusual.
    as for the battery, many people call a refurnished battery 'new', because it is new to them. so it's not necessarily devious if you find that to be the case.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The easiest is if you still are in contact with the seller I'd ask if they have any warranty info/paperwork on the battery. Or if they remember where it was purchased from or installed by.

Your other alternative is some detective work.

You can access the hv battery fairly easily to be able to read the date code tag on hv battery case.

Go in the rear hatch remove the big storage tray cover and the tray.
    Looking towards the front of the car you should should see a large metal case that spans across the width of the car. Take a pic of this and post it.
    Next lift up on the cover that is the rear deck lid is directly on top of the hv battery. It kinda "pops" loudly. You won't fully remove it, but just raise it enough to peek on the top of the battery on the passenger side. Take a pic of the label there. It has a date code on it if it is a Toyota OEM pack.

This still does not necessarily guarantee it is a unmolested battery. Someone could have messed with the internal modules inside the case. But that takes a much deeper level of investigation and tear down.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. Handballer

Handballer New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Have asked seller for sales slip for the HV battery but he has not responded to my calls. So I'll follow your advice on finding the date code. I do know that the battery is not an official Toyota replacement battery but was bought from a battery rebuilder in the Knoxville, TN area.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'nuff said, start saving.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok. So if it is a private rebuilder and not one of the big names like Dorman (3 year part warranty) you will likely have problems without much possibility of recourse. Could last a year if you are lucky. So hopefully you have some time before problems arise.

You said the car was cheap, so that is a good thing. Start putting some money aside so you can purchase a battery with NEW cells in the future. A few thousand would cover the cost.

At 128,000 miles there is still a lot of life left in that car.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Raytheeagle likes this.