1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Owner Advice

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Neal Hatley, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Neal Hatley

Neal Hatley New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    toyota-prius-c-2012-jtdkdtb31c1509017-img1.jpg toyota-prius-c-2012-jtdkdtb31c1509017-img1.jpg Hello Everyone!

I just purchased a 2012 Prius C with 82k miles on it. I had it inspected by my mechanic before the purchase and he gave it a clean bill of health. It has a salvage title, from a passenger door collision, and it appears to have been repaired well. I have pictures from before and after the work I will attach below. My only concern is that there are no maintenance records for this vehicle. As a first time Prius owner, I would like to get out in front of any maintenance needs. What all would you recommend, not knowing the last time anything was done?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Neal

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!

start by plugging the vin into toyota.com/owners. any dealer maintenance, recalls, etc. will be there.

there is also a maintenance schedule. nothing serious until 100-120k. so if you can't find anything, i would change the oil and filter, change the tranny fluid, inspect/clean/replace the air and cabin filter, clean the hybrid battery intake grill and cooling fan, inspect the 12v/spare tire/hybrid battery for corrosion, load test the 12v, clean and lube the caliper slide pins while inspecting the brakes, check/top up fluid levels and enjoy the ride.

all the best!(y)

edit: if the c has an egr circuit, watch @NutzAboutBolts youtube video regarding cleaning and adding an oil catch can.

#2 bisco, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I believe @bobzchemist found out the hard way that the c does have an egr circuit;).

That was trying to buy a spare and bought the c cooler instead:whistle::

EGR valve, cooler, and pipe assembly for a Prius C

bisco likes this.