1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Owner- Battery Monitor Question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by TheDerpyPug, Oct 12, 2020.

1. TheDerpyPug

TheDerpyPug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone!
    I just bought my first Prius. Its an 05 model. I cant seem to find a good answer (and yes, I have read the user manual) but how often should I be paying attention to the battery monitor in the "Consumption" screen? Ive driven about 100mi since I got it and its holding in the top half of the monitor.

Is this something that I should be super paying attention to or is it more of a passing glance on the weekly.

If for any reason this was already posted I do apologize, I tried searching for multiple key words and couldn't find much answers.

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

no need to pay attention at all, just drive it!

like any informational screen, it's data for your enjoyment and knowledge, but it is just a vague representation of what the battery is actually doing.

keep an eye on the gas gauge though!

all the best (y)

vvillovv and TheDerpyPug like this.
  3. TheDerpyPug

TheDerpyPug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much! My car always defaults back to that screen and the arrows are fun to watch but Im always worried about that little battery! I wont watch it as closely anymore and just enjoy the road!

bisco likes this.
  4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    It is handy if you want to learn what the car does in greater detail. You don't *have* to study what it's doing, it's fine to just get in and drive, let the computers pay attention to the flow of energy. If you want a more technical understanding, you got it. In general though, first drive the car, only second or third watch all the do-dads on the dash.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    with an '05, you shouldn't worry, but you should have a battery fund, and a plan on what you will do if it fails under your ownership.