1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Owner Daily Driver - 2012 Prius Five

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kyoo, May 1, 2017.

1. kyoo

kyoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all!

Been snooping around on this forum for a few weeks, finally decided to trade in my Rav4 for a Prius! It's a 2012 Five in White, none of the add-on packages except for what a "Base" Five consists of. Will be doing the following mods over the next couple of weeks:

- Check Alignment
    - Amsoil SSO 0w20 in Engine, Red Line D6 in Transmission
    - XPEL Clear Bra on hood & fenders
    - Weathertech Mats all around
    - Window tinting all around (including air 80 for the windshield)
    - Canvasback liner for the rear

I'll be sure to post pictures soon! So far MPG has been so-so, between 40-46mpg on the highway, but includes some severe weather we've had. Enjoying the car so far, looking forward to really racking up the miles on it. I've had a variety of other builds with different cars, but this is my first hybrid and looking forward to learning the nuances of the car. Other cars/projects found here! Fuelly for all cars here!

- Q

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome! & enjoy.
    Most users here use the recommended Toyota fluid. Are you sure the Red Line fluid meets the specs for this hybrid? The Prius does not have a traditional transmission or CVT. It is CVT-like, but all gear driven.
    There are quite a few Gen 3 modder threads here.

3. kyoo

kyoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Some discussion ab RL fluids in another thread, but don't want to go down that path here. All good for fluids. I use RL in all my cars, only reason I use Amsoil is because I think it's better suited for commuters.

I'll be putting about 700-800mi on this car every week, mostly via highway driving. Looking forward to getting a lot of good data & usage out of it!

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Enjoy the fuel savings.

kyoo likes this.