1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner - Dumb question? (Nav. related)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MP_terp, Mar 7, 2010.

1. MP_terp

MP_terp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey everyone...so yesterday I purchased an '08 Prius. I'm not sure if it has any package or not, to be honest. I'm still learning about the Prius and this forum has been SO helpful!

Anyway....the answer to this is probably no, but since you all seem to have a wealth of knowledge, I figured I'd ask anyway.

On an 08 that does NOT have navigation.....is it possible to somehow install navigation via software? I'm sure it's probably possible if I wanted to take out the hardware and replace it with another package, which would require work and $$$....I'm just wondering if it may be possible to install the navigation to my existing hardware?

Hope that made sense....Again, I'm guessing the answer is no...rip it out and replace it being the only way to get nav...but, had to ask.

Thanks!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As for adding nav via software only, absolutely not. You're missing the GPS antenna, wiring, DVD drive under the seat, the nav DVD disc, might have the wrong MFD and missing some extra buttons next to the MFD and likely other hardware.

As for trying to retrofit it to have all the official hardware, I think the consensus here is that it's cost and time prohibitive to do so. An updated DVD for the factory nav system is already more expensive than many PNDs.

https://priuschat.com/forums/knowle...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html might help you w/determining what you have.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No but thre is a Garmin BlackBox GPS system that uses your factory screen (but it uses a remote control rather than the touch screen functionality to navigate the buttons).

4. jcgee88

jcgee88 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anything is possible...if you have the time and money.
    Emphasis on the latter in this case! You are looking
    at a lot of parts scavenging and retro-fitting.

Personally, I would rather go with a standalone Garmin
    anyways. Factory NAV systems tend to be proprietary,
    meaning that they are not always feature-rich and the
    the software is not frequently updated. Also, even if you
    had built-in NAV, it would block out the energy usage
    screen on your MFD. I find monitoring that screen is
    one of the most fun parts of driving a Prius.

John

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As answered above, technically possible but not practical. You have to add and replace a bunch of hardware and wiring.

Buy a third-party Nav system.

Tom