1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner looking to upgrade audio/video

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cjpopp, May 24, 2006.

1. cjpopp

cjpopp New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Hi all,

I got a 2003 Prius yesterday but it has no map system, a cassette deck instead of a cd player, and has no controls on the steering wheel.

I'd like some input on what can be done to add the map system and a cd player. I'm not sure where the cd player would go and not sure if I can add to the screen special features.

Is upgrading these things hard? Are they expensive? Should I go factory or after market? Are there things I should stay away from?

years ago I tried to get a 6 cd changer into my ex's 3000GT and use the controls on her steering wheel with it and found that it was next to impossible to do so without the factory model. I don't want to make another $500 mistake.

Thanks!
    Chris

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You could probably upgrade your sound system, but I think it would be easier to get an aftermarket NAV system.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    umm.. I could've sworn the Classic came with a CD player. You know it's hidden behind a cover right?

4. cjpopp

cjpopp New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 24 2006, 12:14 AM) [snapback]260188[/snapback]</div>
    There's a little flip=down area in the dash under the cassette deck, but it's empty. When I push the CD or NAV button, I am told something about external hardware not connected.

5. y2kroxy

y2kroxy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cjpopp @ May 23 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]260153[/snapback]</div>

I have an 06 Prius package 3 and I tried to add a Toyota cd changer. Which worked fine except I could not get it to integrate with the MFD. I also found out I could not add satellite radio because it used the aux port in the back of the radio ( can accomodate one device).

So............I'm looking to installing an Alpine head unit CDA-9857. The only drawback with this is that I cannot integrate it with the MFD. This unit has an output jack where you can integrated your steering wheel controls. With its AI-net bus system, you can integrate CD changers, Satellite radio, bluetooth, dvd player if they fit in the CAR. Personally, Im only looking to add the Sirus radio and the CD Changer CHA-634 (6 disc CD/MP3 fits nicely in the center console between the seats). Anyways I just order the head unit which looks like it will fit nicely in the single DIN pocket right below the radio. Hopefully I will get to this in the next couple of weeks.