1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner/member w/ question about storage

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by whiskynovember, Aug 24, 2022.

1. whiskynovember

whiskynovember New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi all, a newb here w/a query re: storage. I've read a bunch on the forum about it but I'm wondering if there's any potential detriment to partially charging my 2018 PP for say, 2-3 hours, and then not using it for up to several (3-4) days. Additionally, would a full charge left for the same amount of time be detrimental? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The manual advises to keep it in hybrid mode before storage. I’m sure a bit of charge is ok but preferably not a full charge.

3-4 days is fine. I’ve gone on week-long trips with the battery in HV mode and it started right up upon return.

3. whiskynovember

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Tideland. I'm not concerned about start-up after sitting idle, rather, I can't get my wife to plan her usage such that it occurs immediately upon charging (sigh) so I'm trying to reckon the acceptable wiggle room/time in between (partial/full) charging and usage. If it sits only for a couple days it's sounds as if a large fraction of full charge is OK.

Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  4. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    WN - Don't obsess over it. We often don't drive ours for a few days. When I come home in the afternoon I plug it in with my level one charger (120V) and unplug it the next morning when I go out to the garage. I have been doing this for five years (since I bought it new) and the traction battery seems to be unchanged since new. However, if you are not using it for a few weeks, I would recommend you use a battery tender to keep your 12V battery charged.

5. whiskynovember

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you W. I suspected it would be OK to operate it as you describe. I too have a battery tender which I used for my previous non-plug-in hybrid (ES300H) during those long absences. BTW, as is the case with nearly everyone else, we love our PP. It's too smart by half: could probably do my taxes for me.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same problem with mrs b, so i leave my pip about half charged most of the time. that way, i can stall her a bit, and hopefully get enough electrons in toget her where she wants to go.

when we go away, i leave it discharged to hv.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh I see. Do you have a Level 1 or Level 2 charger at home?

If you have a level 2, a quick 1 hour charge will bring back nearly 60% of the battery (the bottom half of the battery charges faster than the top half). For a L1, it’ll be closer to 3 hours. But yes, a partial charge is fine I’m sure.

But also know that the Prime is really efficient in hybrid mode too. Gotta burn through that tank eventually!

8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use to commute to work every day, so it was easy to schedule an overnight charge for the departure time of 6 am every day. I just plugged the charging cord every afternoon after coming home. But that routine changed after I started to work from home. I am still working from home now and my car use is unpredictable. As commented, I don't overthink too much about the charge timing and amount. I just plug in at night whenever the car was driven that day. If I know for sure I am not going to drive the car the next day, then I may delay the plug-in. But again, I don't pay much attention to it excessively. Just plug in whenever you can. You should be OK. as long as you are not "storing" for a long time meaning months at a time. I certainly have done 3-4 days with a full charge numerous times on my PP.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I wonder about that. To keep engine happy, maybe aim to go through a tank every 3~4 months at least.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. whiskynovember

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, I'm glad there is a workable spread between optimization and obsession. One doesn't want to be tyrannized by a virtuous system.

11. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "I can't get my wife to plan"

Me neither.

whiskynovember likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops. I run a tank once a year.

But yeah, at least twice a year is good (to get the season appropriate fuel blend)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Unless your Prime has a carburetor, having the right seasonal blend shouldn't matter.

Much of the fuel blend requirements are for the older cars still running.

Tideland Prius and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know.