1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner of '05 with only 200 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2005, Sep 14, 2016.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure why the original owner bought 2 brand new identical cars and let it sit. They are not collector cars

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe he thought they would be someday.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That would explain buying 1. This is also not first generation or first year of new generation. No real collector value

4. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Def. odd

:confused:

kinglew likes this.
  5. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Honestly, none of it makes sense to me but, I try to trust people until they prove otherwise. Trust but verify is a great statement and I think we tried to verify on this one but got shot down with the ole' "I don't have a camera and you can find out all kinds of info about the original owner if you have the VIN" statements. Quite honestly, I don't buy either statement but, I don't have any evidence to back up my doubts either.

One thing I did notice about this whole story is, he doesn't have the ability to take a digital picture because he lives in the past but, he's well up on how to find info on the computer and how your VIN can supposedly be used to find info about you. Hell, I don't even know how to do that and I'm not sure if it can be done but, I do own a smartphone with a digital camera and I don't know how any tech savvy person couldn't???

kinglew and EZDog like this.
  6. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    People do stuff on a whim all the time. It makes it alot easier to rush out and buy a new car you don't need if you're flush on cash and not thinking about money.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, but I think that there may be some kind of genetic predisposition in the family to doing exactly this. :sneaky:

Hasan likes this.
  8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi 2005. If you're constantly up around 7 to 8 bars, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does indicate that you could probably get better fuel efficiency by learning to use the electric propulsion a little more effectively.

My wife is the same, she gets green bars (7 and 8) up on the display a lot more often when she drives compared to when I do (drive the same car). The difference is that she has the engine running a lot higher percentage of the time compared to myself, so it's generating a lot more, but also operating somewhat less efficiently.

It's perfectly ok to drive the Prius exactly the same as you would any normal car and it will work just fine. However if you learn to back off and then feather the gas pedal when the power demand is low, for example on gentle/moderate downhills at any speed and level ground at low speed (sub 42 MPH), then you'll find that you do actually have a surprising amount of control over when exactly the gasoline engine does and does not run.

As such you can really start to control how much electric propulsion is used and start making real use of that excess (7 and 8 bar) electrical energy. Once you learn this technique then fuel mileage figures in excess of 60 MPG become a definite possibility. :)

#168 uart, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Data Daedalus and WilDavis like this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm amazed that these vehicles, which according to the OP have been stored for years in heated warehouses, aren't rodent infested or at the minimum haven't suffered some rodent damage.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe they have pest control measures in place.

11. 2005

2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The second car did have some wiring harness replaced while it was at the dealer, they blamed it on mice. But the buildings have heated floors, the entire building has geo-thermal heat. Water is pumped deep underground and then heated the rest of the way via a boiler. The garages run strictly ground temp water, no added heat. This keeps the buildings in the low to mid 50's even in the winter. They stay super cool in the summer for very little money.

I have no idea what made him buy some of the cars but he bought two of almost everything. Some of the pairs were bought on the same day or ordered, others were bought several weeks or months apart.

I don't think he did it with collectibility in mind, he just liked the car and bought them in pairs. I think he bought the second car with the thought that by the time the first one was worn out, they likely wouldn't still be making that car so he bought his next car now.

As far as the VIN number, I know that you can get a duplicate title for a fee at the DMV, all you need is a VIN and a name, and they often don't ask for a name. The subsequent title can then be signed or forged and a new owner is assigned to the car. I found this out by accident, I was given an old boat and I didn't have a title for it. When I asked how to get a title I was told all they could do is to issue me a new title in the last owners name. For a fee they handed me a clear title to this boat in the last owners name and I was told to just scribble something on the back and they'd transfer it to my name. That's all fine for a junk boat but if it worked for a boat, I suppose its doable on a car as well.

12. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    That not true In any of the fifty states check with your local dmv..that why its a title not a registration

13. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In many states, for recreational vehicles like boats, ATVs, small motorcycles, etc., the registration is the title. (IMHO, it's a very bad system that invites fraud... but that's another discussion altogether.)

I agree though that I've never heard of a state that handles cars/trucks in the same fashion.

14. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    But that's not the reason you gave earlier. It seems like you have an aversion to any request for evidence (which makes me doubt the whole story). In the online world, that's a red flag.

kinglew likes this.
  15. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    4740b6324d466a5f752133a8dd833392dac1d48de0a121721a36b2150f35f147.jpg
    I think you're all being played.....
    story didn't make sense from the second post..
    ignore it and it will go away..

16. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are unable to snap a quick pic, are you willing to provide the last 8 digits of the VIN?

17. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Some First graders own IPhones in this day and age! Lol.

If not a camera equipped smartphone then not even a flip phone with a camera OP?? Nor do you know anyone that owns a camera? How are you posting on this thread? At a free library?

If we are being played this is a pretty intricate prank. Very involved posts yet remaining vague and obviously able to keep us posting up with replies :LOL:

18. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I agree with your post 100 percent

Beachbummm likes this.
  19. AnthonyPark

AnthonyPark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I will buy this car, sight unseen for 5k. I have the ability to get a spare battery and install it.

20. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    why would he/she do it? it's not April yet.

edit, i guess this could be a coal roller redneck fishing for gullible prius owners and having a laugh on some kind of diesel pickup forum:

My usual vehicles are diesel powered and much larger, I'm more than capable of working on large trucks but I have no experience with a hybrid.

kinglew likes this.