1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner of 2001 Prius....where should I stop?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by youngnbald, May 6, 2012.

1. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    First time with hybrids. I came across a 2001 Prius that the owner was asking $6500 for. Crossed out his price and lowered it to $4500. I bought it for $2800 after having two different mechanics go thru the car for inspection. They found these items to repair.

Factory Struts
    Air Conditioner Compressor
    Front Left Wheel Bearing
    Right Rear Hub Bearing
    Front Left CV boot torn and Axle seal.
    Drive Belt

I just replaced the rear drums and shoes. Front pads are 8mm yet. I ordered struts for the front due to noise coming from front left. Replacing the strut mounts too on the front.

The car has 223,000 miles on it but the engine and battery pack were replaced two months ago with a 72,000 mile car. I calculate that the price in fuel savings alone will be $2800 a year compared to my GMC Envoy. My initial purchase can be recooped in one year.

My question is how much of these repairs should I do? I looked into the bearings and axle seal. Bought the part for a fraction of the cost of dealer and autozone. I don't think the listed repairs will be bad to handle on my own, especially since I still have the Envoy to fall back on. How important would it be to replace the rear struts? The car rides smooth with factory struts, but I think the bearings went bad due to lack of replacing the struts? True? I am doing the front to eliminate the noise heard once in awhile on rough roads.

Would like peoples opinion as to how far and what to repair now or wait. Car worth it? It can save the miles on my truck and save me money in the long haul.....if these end up being the only repairs needed in 18 months. After 18 months, the repair and car purchase will be recouped. Should I wait on repairing this car all the way? I can still return my parts but now at a cross roads of thought!!!!

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Honestly, the noise from the front is probably related to the wheel bearing

I'd make the left front bearing, seal and CV joint a priority fix.

Other than a clunking noise, replacing the struts won't be a noise fix. I doubt that the struts played any part in the bearings going bad. Assuming the bearings are original, they've done very well for longevity.

Replace wheel/hub bearings if they get really noisy. Replace the drive belt as something cheap and easy to fix. Don't bother with replacing struts unless there are ride/control issues.

The air conditioning is probably the priciest issue. If you can be reasonably comfortable without it, I'd skip that, but keep the rest of the car maintained and repaired as conditions warrant.

- Chris

3. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you for the advice. I did buy the front struts and mounts for $150 I would find out if the ride changes. My truck made a HUGE difference when I replaced the rear shocks in it. The factory ones we soft and now it handles more enjoyable, especially when hitched to a trailer.
    The rear bearing does have lots of drag to it when turning by hand. Not sure how much the fuel mpg is being affected by this.
    The A/C is being fixed right now for $1000 at the dealer. That was a given to fix and I was happy with the car expense at that point. Wasn't sure on the other repairs and the priority I should be putting on it when I don't have drive time history with this car.
    I read about the inverter fluid? Should this be changed? The dealer inspection said all fluids "Looked" good, but I don't have history of the changes. When a different engine was placed into this car, would all the fluids be replaced at that time? I can do radiator and trans fluids, but it sounds like a bigger job with the inverter fluid. Still researching this and how to do it if it sounds like I should.

One last thought hit me. If I replace the bearing in the front left, I have to realign the car don't I? This is why I bought everything to replace the entire front end to new...CV boot, seal, bearing, strut tops and struts. After spending all this money, I started to think that I could be putting money into a dead horse if a major issue appears (like the used batteries are crap after all). Fix now and get history with car or get history first and fix stuff later but take the chance I cause more repairs. Hummm.
    For the money, I think I will repair everything up front and even the struts. Correct me if I am wrong, but then I would do an alignment once.
    Thanks for the input. Back and forth on the expenses. I hate learning a different car, especially a hybrid and so much other charges could brake the bank verse the use I will get from the car.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey young,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Gen I Prius. My take on all of this is I would fix it all. None of it is that hard and if you take care of it, it will last. I have found the Gen I to be easy to work on and very reliable. There are plenty of parts available for it. I have also found it to be a great city car. I wouldn't worry about things going bad because all can be fixed for a reasonable price (including the traction battery). Repairs to the battery are well documented here and one person (yota93) fixed his for $40. I find the Gen I fun to work on (even though very little work is required).

You have come to the right place as there is a great support network here.

5. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you for the confidence builder! I am getting the car back tonight with the AC fixed and while I was at it, I had them flush the inverter coolant. $65 for the flush so why not and now I have history of that repair done. I will do the rest myself.

6. bobofky

bobofky Member

The radiator is dual purpose. The upper half cools the ICE and the bottom half cools the inverter.

7. sbiddle

sbiddle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really, the radiator assembly consists of cooling for the ICE and condensor for the air conditioner. The inverter cooling is a separate radiator located just in front of the radiator assembly.