1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Owner of 2012 Prius 4! Super Stoked. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by anguy079, May 10, 2018.

1. anguy079

anguy079 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just bought a 2012 Prius IV 39k miles for 5.8k and in great condition! Super stoked. Pulled the carfax on it, 2 previous owners, Car was labeled as possible TMU at an auto auction in november 2017. I saw that the issue was due to the cluster/combination meter malfunctioning and I was able to find someone to repair it. Now everything is running great. I've got a list of things to do on the car, any recommendations/suggestions would be great. FYI I'm in orange county, California and I'm a college student so I have little income. I usually keep my cars for 1-3 years before upgrading so the idea is to keep myself under budget while also keeping the car in good condition while I own it. I don't want to have to pay for a pricy unwanted repair that could've been avoided.

List of things to do: New Tires (Delinte's set of 4 for $238 after tax+mounting)[front tire pressure 42, rear 40], Transmission Fluid change, oil/filter change (mobil 1/~10kish miles recommended is 15k), brakes cleaned/adjusted/flushed, engine/cabin air filter change, also a transaxle fluid change. Any other suggestions or should I not perform any of the above?

I've been getting about 35-42mpg, car is already tinted, and I've installed a dashcam.

Burna J likes this.
  2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Your gas mileage seems a bit low, however my lifetime gas mileage on the Prius I owned was 44 mpg. Are the tires on the car LRR tires and are the ones you are buying LRR, they do make a difference.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM47704U/pdf/OM47704U.pdf
    on page 590, there is a section on customization, some you can do, some you can do if you have navigation, and some your dealer can do.

These will be set by the previous two owners, to settings that may not be ideal for you. As an example, if you park in a garage consistently, having the headlights stay on does not benefit you, but if you park down a long sidewalk, extending the headlights to 90 seconds may serve you well. (and you may want to delay the time before the locks automatically lock again)

Single women often prefer the fob to only unlock the driver's door; Families often prefer it unlocks them all.

Figure out what you want done by the dealer all at once, so you don't bug them repeatedly. They will start billing you.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

don't go crazy at 39,000 miles, prius doesn't need much service.

the transmission and transaxle are the same thing. all the brakes need is an inspection, and caliper slide pin lube.
    you can usually just clean the air and cabin filters. engine oil every 10k.
    might want to take a look at your hybrid battery cooling fan and intake grille. and test the 12v health.
    all the best!(y)

5. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

You're local, take it to Hybrid Pit for all your needs. They're in Buena Park.
    I'll be there Saturday. (y)