1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Owner of a 2016 Prius Two Questions!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by cecochra, Feb 7, 2018.

1. cecochra

cecochra New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello All!

Excited new owner of a 2016 Prius Two purchased used with 43k from Carvana (which in itself was a crazy experience - like buying a car off Amazon... still feels strange). I am still within my 7 day no questions asked return window so I was hoping to come to the community with some questions that I wanted to make sure of whole I was still in a good window and had some possible leverage with Carvana.

So in all of my research I had assumed that that two had most of the features that I needed without upping the price to a three (past a three was generally out of my price range - 18k absolute max which I ended up paying after all taxes/tags/etc). The one feature that I was surprised was not included was the warning signal when parking (forward or reverse) which I had not seen excluded/excluded in most I had read? I am assuming this is the Intelligent Clearance Sonar? Is this generally not included in the Two or by chance it is normally and I have just not turned it on correctly or it should in fact be included? (Most likely a silly question but) Is this something that can ever be added to the two model I have?

Also is the flimsy screen thing what is normally included in the car for a cargo cover? My mother has a 2016 Four or Five and it included the retractable cargo cover which from what I am seeing is so incredibly expensive on its own! Any advice on cheaper alternatives for both this and more weather resistant cargo mats? I am shocked that some enterprising young somebody hasn't made a cheaper version to push on Amazon. I have a 80 pound pup and would like to be able to put seats down in back and be as covered as possible protection wise.

Thanks all and excited to be part of the Prius fan club!

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PriusChat!
    The parking assist appeared as a no-charge option mid-way through 2017. Previously in Gen 4 it was only available on Trim 3 & up. IIRC in 2016 it was part of an option package.
    I am not sure how you expected such an advanced feature on the base trim car. I bought my early 2017 Prius Two realizing some features like that were missing but the additional money to get them was not worth it to me.

padroo and RCO like this.
  3. cecochra

cecochra New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I just not been able to find a consistent clear layout of all the features between all of the trims that included the parking assist- It's my first "real" car purchase (and am not incredibly car/mechanically savy) so much of my understanding had been off my brothers 2014 three and mothers 2016 five. All that I had seen included in articles laying out the differences had not mentioned the parking assist/object sensor I had just experienced the warning in both the 2014 and 2016 so it was less of an expectation and more of an unanswered question. Was unsure if the parking assist was only the parallel parking feature or if that was the object sensor warning also. All in all just trying to learn too much at once via conflicting internet sources!

bisco likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    padroo, RCO, cecochra and 1 other person like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome, all the best!(y)

padroo, cecochra and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Tell me about Carvana. Looks like an interesting concept. They deliver the vehicle to you anywhere in the USA...correct?

Edit : Looks like they even do trades. Very interesting indeed.

#6 farmecologist, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    cecochra likes this.
  7. cecochra

cecochra New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Really interesting experience! Yeah anywhere right to your house. It still feels a bit too easy. Clearly the not being able to talk to a salesperson for questions might have been a negative based on my lack of car knowledge but my experience at looking a few Prius's at CarMax (More expensive for higher milage and fewer options) was with someone who couldn't answer most of my questions either. It was my first car buying experience that was not from a family or friend selling a car to me personally but I was incredibly surprised how easy and painless it was! I bought the car right out so I cant speak to financing but that was an option through them that seemed reasonable. I ordered the car, they verified my funds on the phone in a three way call with my bank before finalizing scheduling delivery. Showed up in front of my house at scheduled time (3pm on a Saturday, I ordered the car Thursday night) and unloaded the car, gave it a look over and took it on a 15min test drive and singed it over. They handled all title/tag/everything and I was good to go. Have a 7 day no questions asked period where if I decide I don't like or want it for any reason I can just call them and they will come scoop it up and return my $$ in full (past 400 miles they charge $1 per/mile). My Father did this returning a Nissan Leaf he wanted to test out and said it was painless to return in the 7day window and my brother also purchased (and kept) his Prius from Carvana and had a similar positive experience to mine. They also offered me the option of selling my old car which would have been a similar process of right from my house but I did get a better appraisal (about $800 higher) from CarMax.Customer service was responsive, quick and helpful. All in all still feels a little too good, quick and painless to be true but haven't had anything happen to prove otherwise.

farmecologist and RCO like this.
  8. cecochra

cecochra New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Clearly should have found PriusChat sooner but still happy with the two regardless! The change in price didn't seem worth it for my needs either. Just wanted to make sure I was covering all my bases even in as the ignorant newb in the after-buy. Thanks for the help!

RCO likes this.
  9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With the "cargo cover", I think there were 2or3 different versions - I've got the retractable, but it's been stored underneath the floor since day #2 of ownership - it was a pain to use, and unless I had something I wanted hidden, am unlikely to ever use it. (Personally I liked the ones FORD, KIA and MAZDA used on previous cars - a rigid board which raises and lowers when the hatch opens and closes by 2 simple cords.)

You might pick up a retractable one from a Wrecking Yard, but you'd need to get the fastenings as well.

Mats - I had a set "thrown in" to the deal, but they aren't particularly substantial. In some cars in the past, I've bought a piece of carpet from the carpet warehouse - offcut - and cut it to size when I needed something kid/dog-proof. It lasted the life of the car and toss it at the end.

With reversing sensors and AUTO PARK. I don't think any PRIUS has sensors which beep more incessantly as you get closer to hitting something (like has been on lots of cars for the last decade). When I quizzed them here in Australia, they said they supply a reversing camera instead - and nothing for the front.

RCO and cecochra like this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That "flimsy thing" is the cargo cover for the Two. It hooks on the sides and suspends with 2 cords like @alanclarkeau 's rigid one.I bought the Toyota all-weather mats from a dealer on Amazon even though my car came with the carpeted mats. There are 2 different cargo mats. You want the one for a car with the spare tire. Here is what I got that should fit your car.

and

cecochra likes this.
  11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You would be surprised how many 2016's are in the junk yard, I would check there for a cargo cover.

cecochra likes this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They would need at least the hooks & perhaps both the interior side panels.

pilotgrrl, cecochra and padroo like this.
  13. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'ts all in the details, thanks.

cecochra likes this.