1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner - question about mpg averages

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by emm0119, Aug 16, 2015.

1. emm0119

emm0119 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I've searched the manual, and it isn't perfectly clear on the specifics, especially for the ODO mpg display. It says:
    "While the odometer is being displayed, or when the odometer/trip meter are not being displayed, the average fuel consumption from the last reset will be displayed.
    While the trip meter is being displayed, the average fuel consumption will be displayed in accordance with the trip meter distance from the last reset.
    The function can be reset by pressing the TRIP button for longer than 1 second when the average fuel consumption is displayed on the trip
    meter.
    Use the displayed average fuel consumption as a reference."
    So, this makes it clear the ODO mpg isn't a lifetime average for the car, but what does "reset" mean in this case? For the trips, it means reset of the trip odometer. Apparently, from what I've observed, the ODO mpg resets when the car is turned off. I'll have to see if holding the trip button with the ODO displayed can also reset the ODO mpg, or if that only holds for the Trip 1 and Trip 2 meters.

2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    FYI that's a PIP display not a v

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    priuschat is starting to get blurry...

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It all seems fairly clear to me. Perhaps you need to use it for a while.

5. emm0119

emm0119 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My point was the instructions weren't clear to someone who hadn't already figured it out. I figured it out for myself after making a point to compare/test the possibilities. The meaning of "reset" in the instructions differentiating the trip and ODO mpg meters was only explained for resetting the trip buttons. This left me wondering what the other reset referred to. Conceivably, reset could mean pressing a button to reset it manually, restarting the car (note that "restart" and "since start" are the terms used elsewhere in the manual, not reset), resetting the history in the Eco app, etc. So, sure, it's clear once you've figured it out for yourself by some trial and error, but I wanted to highlight the possible confusion for other new Prius owners. Had the instructions said restart, or even better, since hybrid system start, then I'd call the instructions "pretty clear".

ricomtl likes this.
  6. ricomtl

ricomtl Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I just got mine this week and I was also confused with all the screens you can cycle through for the ODO and MPG averages. None of the displays show the same average so I told myself I will track via Fuelly as I did with my other cars.

emm0119 likes this.
  7. emm0119

emm0119 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm also going to use Fuelly. I actually went and topped off the tank last night just so I could enter it as my first fill-up and get a Fuelly history started. So, in 400 or so miles I'll get my first "real" mpg feedback. As is, if I'm remembering the starting odo correctly from when I drove it off the dealer lot last Friday, I averaged about 43.5mpg over the first 3 gallons. Not bad, considering it includes my first baby steps learning how to drive the Prius like a Prius + whatever the service guys did testing it before/after the sway bar fix (story in another thread). As for the multiple mpg displays, now that I understand that the ODO mpg is just tracking your mpg for the current trip, I'm using that for on-the-fly feedback about how I'm doing from day to day. I was excited to pass 50 for the first time yesterday after getting it back from service, and then I hit 56 in the evening. :)

ricomtl likes this.
  8. Jabir Somji

Jabir Somji New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hi! I'm new to this forum. I own 2014 Prius V and I have a few problems with MPG I can get about 50 mpg driving on a highway and getting 23-26 MPG in the City I drive in NYC I have 77,000 miles in my car not getting any help from the dealer any idea please

9. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Jabir Somji - What is the "Lifetime MPG" number displayed on the MID for your 77,000-miles?

Typically, for most drivers, "Highway" type driving would deliver mid-to-high 40s (44-48) MPGs to them, but no MPGs numbers up in the 50s. 50-ish MPGs "Highway" is very usual because the ICE is always running and consuming fuel when you are at highway speeds. Your "getting 23-26 MPG in the City I drive in NYC" tells me that you likely are driving your 2014 Prius v wagon using a throttle "Horsing" and brake pedal heavy "Gas-To-Go/Brake-To-Stop" driving technique driving between the GREEN & RED traffic lights as you travel through the streets of Manhattan.

Your "City" driving technique is apparently getting in the way of the ultra-high fuel economy "Gremlins" who reside in the Hybrid Synergy Drive. Start driving so as to keep the HSI in the GREEN BAR ZONE, staying out of the RED BAR ZONE, and maximizing WHITE BAR ZONE Regeneration. Good Luck! :cool: