1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner/starting question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by radtech, Oct 29, 2005.

1. radtech

radtech New Member

I just got my 05 Driftwood Pearl. Love it!! I have a most likely stupid question. When I get in the car to start it, the BRAKE light on the display screen stays on and I can't get it to go into gear. Do I need to HOLD the brake pedal down,turn on the POWER button and THEN take off the PARKING button? I don't know why this seems confusing.(the order I mean). Thanks!!

2. DHonzik

DHonzik Junior Member

Sounds like the emergency brake is engaged.....With the brake light on try pushing the emergency brake all the way then release it.

PS Make sure you are pressing the regular brake and not the emergency brake when you start the car.

3. radtech

radtech New Member

No it's not the Emergency brake. I tried that first.

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you are confusing the purpose of the rectangular "Park" button.

--TO start the car...
    1. Step on the brake pedal (normal brakes)
    2. Push Power button. (look for ready light)
    3. Release Emergency brake (far left pedal)
    4. Put car into gear.

The rectangular "Park" button does not need to be touched. The way I read your post, I think you may be confusing that button as something to do with the parking (emergency) brake, and it is not. The Park button locks the transmission, like "P" on a conventional automatic transmission. What's neat is that if you are shutting the car down, Park will engage automatically when you turn the car off. SO you don't even need to touch it then either. About the only time you'd need to touch the Park button it is whenyou want to park and leave the car on for some reason. Then push the Park button to take the car out of gear so it won't creap and move.

5. DHonzik

DHonzik Junior Member

Make sure the emergency brake pedal comes all the way up...if it does then refer to page 117 in the owner's manual and contact your dealer and read page 119. It could also be low brake fluid level...check your fluid level before using the car again. There was some post on either this site or the other prius website, www.priusonline.com about the emergency brake not fully disenaging causing the red brake light to stay on.

PS Let me know by email what the problem turns out to be...