1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner? Want MPG help? Read this first.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by galaxee, Jan 24, 2006.

1. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kaspiahn @ Jul 30 2007, 07:17 PM) [snapback]487670[/snapback]</div>
    Have you checked to make sure they didn't overfill the oil?

2. kaspiahn

kaspiahn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diamondlarry @ Jul 30 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]487689[/snapback]</div>
    No I have not. I guess I assumed that taking it to Toyota for maintenance would be a no-brainer.
    Thanks for the idea. I'll check that out.

3. lytthans

lytthans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for posting the mileage link. It was very informative. My 2006 Prius has about 14K on it now, and I generally get 38-42 mpg. My highest mileage was 47 mpg, on a 65 mile freeway trip. I do run the A/C generally all the time, because of my asthma and the poor air quality in Southern California. The A/C compressor does run off it's own electric motor, but I guess that drains the 12 volt battery faster, causing the ICE to run more.

I read posting of owners getting 55-60+mpg, and often wonder if they live at the top of a hill and have the car towed home every day! :rolleyes:

4. mhollis

mhollis New Member

I'm getting steady 40 MPG with my 2005 Prius and I know I can do better. I have read this forum and I try to take all of the steps to better my mileage. I do run the AC on hot days (we had a bad spell of them recently) but I cannot consistently get much above 40 MPG.

I have my tires inflated to 42 PSI in the front and 40 in the back. The car never works as a completely electric car when I'm starting out of my driveway; the engine always kicks in. Is there anything I can do for around town that would improve things a bit?

5. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mhollis @ Aug 7 2007, 08:23 AM) [snapback]491830[/snapback]</div>
    There are two major things and a lot of minor things to be aware of:

Major thing #1: DRIVE LIKE GRANDMA: Tread lightly on the accelerator. If nobody is behind you or if there are two lanes, barely accelerate. And anticipate future slow downs and stops.

Major thing #2: DRIVE WITH A WARM ENGINE. Short trips (< 15 minutes) are a huge mileage killer. When the engine is cold it is very inefficient. It takes at least 5 minutes of driving to warm up it up. The first five minute bar is almost always the worst and you spend the rest of your trip trying to recover. If you can, combine your trips and errands and drive to the farthest stop first whenever possible. However, don't drive more just to get your numbers down. That's wasteful and counter productive.

I think the 2 major things, if dealt with properly, should get you to 50 mpg or better.

Minor things can be explored on this site: EV mod (used correctly), Engine Block Heater, tire pressure of 42/40 or higher, pulse and glide, not using cruise control when climbing hills, avoiding hills and stops if possible, etc.

Good luck,

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really dislike the "Grandma" metaphor for a couple of reasons...and one of them is not b/c I am a grandma.
    The main reason being that I feel that really good fuel efficient driving requires a degree of awareness that is much more acute than what a "grandma" is capable of. Grandmas drive slow b/c their reaction times, ability to focus upon multiple stimuli simultaneous, vision, hearing and other senses are diminished.
    To be a good 'hypermiler' or even just a good driver for high fuel economy one must be very aware of their surroundings and able to assimilate multiple incoming data, correlate with the car's current condition (Ice running vs stealth), anticipate lights, anticipate traffic movements, anticipate the car's behavior and modify it according to those conditions.

Now, I know you meant that you should be gentle on the accelerator and keep speeds to a minimum, and that is kind of true too, but grandmas tend to be too slow (impeding traffic) and fail to accelerate at an ideal rate (there is a nice 1700-2300rpm sweet spot with the Prius).

So, I don't mean to bash you, you just walked into one of my pet peeves and I'm feeling a little spunky today. And Grandmas probably would tend to get pretty good FE in a Prius. But I think an anti-grandma with their mind set on ideal driving could do far better.

7. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 7 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]491891[/snapback]</div>
    No problem - you make a good point. Awareness of what's ahead (and behind) is definitely great for mileage maximizing and is definitely not Grandma's strong suite.

8. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kaspiahn @ Jul 30 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]487670[/snapback]</div>
    Dont worry about it, after 10,500, it will come back. At least mine did, for the longest time after 5700 miles the mileage was down to 44-48 MPG, and only recently has it gone back up to 50.

9. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm at around 13,000 miles and taking new routes home from work at slower speeds (35~45mph) I'm now averaging around 57 MPG!

10. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I waited. I waited five years for this car.

This Monday I picked up my new Prius, and I've been busy learning all about the whole experience.

Every time I drive this car I am more pleased than ever with this purchase. I had wondered about MPG, because my drive to work is only about 4 miles each way. I also had wondered whether there would be a break-in period where my MPG would be quite low. Happily, I report this is not the case.

The first four days I managed to drive around town to the tune of about 75 miles. I then refilled the tank and measured MPG at 46+. Today, I drove 165 miles in a mix of stop-and-go traffic and open country roads. Having reset the car's fuel consumption info screed, I read that this trip resulted in a 55.4 MPG report. At the end of the day, I returned to the place I purchased gas this morning and refilled the tank once again. The resulting measurement was a more sober 49.7 MPG.

I have attempted to use pulse-and-glide, though I haven't had much success. Also, I had the A/C on the entire time. Further, I've waited to drive until the ICE has started and stopped on its own. In this 90+ weather, this has taken no more than 60 to 90 seconds.

Does this sound about right? To me, it sounds great, and I only hope I can keep this up. If I can regularly be in the upper 40s for my type of driving, I think I will have done very well, both economically and morally.

11. wardo

wardo Wardo

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Took my brand-new '07 for its first road trip today - it had 8 miles on it when I got it home from the dealership yesterday, and had 127 miles on it at the end of my road jaunt today.

In a combination of highway (I-95, including bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go for 7 miles) and some in-town driving, I averaged 52.9 mpg. I'm THRILLED.

Plus, as a technogeek, I really enjoyed playing with all the buttons and touch screens while stopped in traffic. Only thing that made me worry was the &**&(* woman in the SUV behind me who was gabbing on her cell phone and kept lurching to a stop just inches behind my bumper!

12. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Aug 17 2007, 11:59 PM) [snapback]498180[/snapback]</div>
    I would start driving right away instead of waiting for ICE to warmup. Reason being, you burn about .3gal/hr while idling, so it makes more sense to just get out and drive during that time.

Even though you have a 4mile trip, you will probably burn less fuel by starting to drive immediately. The best bet would be to test it by calculating your gallons burned in a controlled test. Drive a few days with ICE warmed up already. Drive a few starting right from the press of the button. See which results in the better fuel economy and/or least amount of gallons of fuel used.

13. PLMurphy

PLMurphy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Clarinetist @ Aug 1 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]488763[/snapback]</div>

Welcome to reality. My wife and I get, 42-44mpg on two Prius Touring models. I enjoy heater and airconditioner, plus the radio and normal ride at 32psi. B)

14. acdii

acdii Active Member

Looks like I passed the breakin period, my mileage has gone back up to just about 50 MPG from just under 48. Right now it is sitting at 51.1 with 86 miles on the meter. I accidentally reset the darn thing wiping some dust off where the miles are. It was at 50.3 at that point with at least 1000 miles accumulated. From between 5300 till about 11000 the MPG dropped 3 miles from when I first got it with 3 miles on it. Going on a long trip from IL to PA in two weeks, so I get to see if continuous driving has improved over my last trip with just under 5000 on it. That drive of about 1200 miles averaged about 46 MPG.

What I hate is when I get some bozo riding my bumper, then I notice my MPG drops because I am not watching my gauge but the idiot in back of me. Like dude, if 60 isnt fast enough pass me or back the F off. This morning I finally got to see who the puker is. He was hanging off my bumper, wouldn't pass (thankfully now that he wasn't in front of me) when we got to the stop, I see him open his door and drop a load on the road. Almost every stinking day I see a pile of puke at the intersections. That person needs some serious help. He finally did pass and got way up ahead, and sure enough, opened the door and left another load on the road. Disgusting! I was half tempted to call it in as a DUI.

15. acdii

acdii Active Member

Looks like I passed the breakin period, my mileage has gone back up to just about 50 MPG from just under 48. Right now it is sitting at 51.1 with 86 miles on the meter. I accidentally reset the darn thing wiping some dust off where the miles are. It was at 50.3 at that point with at least 1000 miles accumulated. From between 5300 till about 11000 the MPG dropped 3 miles from when I first got it with 3 miles on it. Going on a long trip from IL to PA in two weeks, so I get to see if continuous driving has improved over my last trip with just under 5000 on it. That drive of about 1200 miles averaged about 46 MPG.

What I hate is when I get some bozo riding my bumper, then I notice my MPG drops because I am not watching my gauge but the idiot in back of me. Like dude, if 60 isnt fast enough pass me or back the F off. This morning I finally got to see who the puker is. He was hanging off my bumper, wouldn't pass (thankfully now that he wasn't in front of me) when we got to the stop, I see him open his door and drop a load on the road. Almost every stinking day I see a pile of puke at the intersections. That person needs some serious help. He finally did pass and got way up ahead, and sure enough, opened the door and left another load on the road. Disgusting! I was half tempted to call it in as a DUI.

16. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 23 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]501229[/snapback]</div>
    OK. Here's an update. I've tried both ways for several days each, and I've compared the MFD's mpg for the short trips. Actually, I've tried to determine the amount of fuel used by dividing Trip ODO miles by the MFD mpg. By doing this on arrival and subtracting the gallons that had been used prior to the short trip, I get a rough idea of the gasoline used in each trip. Obviously, I have variations in each trip, but it appears I use less gas when allowing the ICE to complete its initial warmup before I start rolling.

This may not be a reliable and reproduceable approach, but it is the closest I'm going to get. If I take the same approach each day under the same conditions, and I measure this across several days, I think I get a decent idea.

So, it still looks to me as though I'm doing better to allow the warmup before I put the car into drive.

17. tkil

tkil New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Sep 1 2007, 10:05 PM) [snapback]505714[/snapback]</div>
    One thing you might try is to start moving as soon as the "ready" indicator comes on -- but after a minute or two, take your foot off the accelerator then gently re-apply to see if you can get into stealth/glide mode.

I did this all the time on my old commute: the first mile and a half was very dense suburb, stop signs every couple hundred feet. I'd get moving immediately (well, I got some "forced" warm-up time when I got out of the car to close the garage), but after a minute I'd try to get into glide mode. Sometimes I could, sometimes I had someone behind me (and I didn't -- and don't -- like to hold up traffic), but it did work occasionally.

And that might be the difference you're seeing between your two trials. (Assuming that, once you've let the ICE shut off after warmup, you glide as far as possible before having the ICE kick in again.)

18. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tkil @ Sep 11 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]510733[/snapback]</div>
    I think the advantage I have is that the summer warm up is very quick, and I can drive in stealth mode through my neighborhood and even out to the first arterial road. If I don't wait, there is no way to "force" it into the stealth mode, and I end up using the ICE at times I don't need to. Also, at the beginning of my commute (just out of the neighborhood) and at the beginning of my return commute, I have decent downhill runs. This allows a recharge of the batteries to replace the initial stealth driving.

In other scenarios, I think I might as well drive as soon as the Ready lamp is on.

19. arnoutterschure

arnoutterschure New Member

I agree. We bought our 2007 Prius a week ago, and my wife mainly uses it to drive the kids to preschool and to get to the train station. It is a 5-10 min, 2-3 mile drive. She gets 35+ mpg. Before that, we had a 2002 Kia Sedona Minivan that she used for the same trips. It got 15 mpg. So with the Prius, we get 3x better gas milage AND still get almost 500 miles per tank (12 gallons), whereas with the KIA we got only 250 miles per tank (20 gallons). We thus save almost $100 per fully tanked Prius compared to the KIA for the same distance driven, and not to mention the amount of emitted CO2 we reduce! Every car, except full electric cars, have a cold start and warm-up period. So also the Prius suffers, but it is still worth it. Today my wife actually told me she averaged 50mpg on a trip to Davis! AMAZING! Buying a Prius is so much worth it. We also have a KIA spectra5, which does 28/34mpg city/highway. Not bad, but the Prius still beats it big time!

20. arnoutterschure

arnoutterschure New Member

I agree. We bought our 2007 Prius a week ago, and my wife mainly uses it to drive the kids to preschool and to get to the train station. It is a 5-10 min, 2-3 mile drive. She gets 35+ mpg. Before that, we had a 2002 Kia Sedona Minivan that she used for the same trips. It got 15 mpg. So with the Prius, we get 3x better gas milage AND still get almost 500 miles per tank (12 gallons), whereas with the KIA we got only 250 miles per tank (20 gallons). We thus save almost $100 per fully tanked Prius compared to the KIA for the same distance driven, and not to mention the amount of emitted CO2 we reduce! Every car, except full electric cars, have a cold start and warm-up period. So also the Prius suffers, but it is still worth it. Today my wife actually told me she averaged 50mpg on a trip to Davis! AMAZING! Buying a Prius is so much worth it. We also have a KIA spectra5, which does 28/34mpg city/highway. Not bad, but the Prius still beats it big time!