1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Lean on me

Lean on me New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Greetings, I am an owner of a 2008 Toyota Prius Base model whom I have named Madam Gray. She is approaching approximately 185k miles and for the most part, she has been good to me. However, recently she has been exhibiting troublesome behavior. Allow me to explain. She is having issues with accelerating. Specifically, there is a lapse in time between depressing the accelerator pedal and the proper response for more power. Her idling is unsteady. We can only travel a short distance before she throws a temper tantrum. How, you say? She'll run her engine continuously and activate the hybrid battery fan. What else? She throws the master warning, check engine, vsc, and the MFD "red" car (!) light in my face! And what's worse, she refuses to display any DTC codes. I am in utter disbelief because I have been good to her. She has received the best of care... everything from a brand new Trustart 12v AGM battery, fuses, 3-way coolant flow control valve and inverter cooler water pump with new coolant mind you... I have provided all of this yet she remains unsatisfied. Have I not listened to her? Are there signs that I am missing? Is there anybody out there listening? Please, I require intervention. I feel the distance between us growing further and further. I am afraid that I may very well lose her.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What you missed on your list of things she's needing.....a new hybrid battery

3. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you’ve got plenty of money get a new car. You’ll be happier for it.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would not be surprised if using a capable scantool produced a P0A80 (replace HV battery) code - BUT that's a guess.

I do know that whatever device you have isn't capable of scanning all 15 or 16 ecu's in a Gen2 Prius.

Here is a post that reviews several apps and devices that can.
    https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all good things must come to an end.
    if you do want to revive miss grey though, you will need a prius appropriate scanner to read the codes and sub codes, like tech stream

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Though there many posts that exude GPT, this one is currently at the top, or not.

Moving Right Along and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    huh, i had to google that, but you're right :p

8. Lean on me

Lean on me New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I spent some time with her today. I decided to take a different approach. How, you say? I placed her in service mode, popped the hood, and simply listened. As mentioned before, she has been idling quite roughly so I paid particular attention to the fuel injection throttle body. While observing, I noticed the motor responsible for opening and shutting the valve which is located inside of the air box was not actuating. It simply remained closed even in the midst of depressing the accelerator pedal. I am, however, able to turn the valve while she is isn't running. I suspect she needs a new throttle body.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably

10. Lean on me

Lean on me New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for the response. It is, however, unlikely the hybrid battery system is damaged. How, you say? The average operating capacity of the overall hybrid battery pack is at 236v. I owe this performance to the Prolong reconditioning pack. The equipment cost me a third of the amount I paid for the her but looking back in hindsight, it was well worth the investment.

11. Lean on me

Lean on me New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for the response. I have been using a Innova 5160RS code reader scan tool. Although, it is not as thorough as Toyota Techstream, I have been able to read and erase DTC codes, and view live data.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not that the hybrid battery is damaged, it's old and failing. The Prolong system doesn't stop a battery from failing, it just reconditions the battery. It can still fail and that's what it sounds like you have, a failed/failing battery. Either way there should be codes to the problems you're experiencing that's logged on the car.

13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is a big difference between capacity and voltage. She is trying to tell you something that everyone else can easily see.

It is over.

She is seeing a younger guy with 302 horses and capable of 42 miles without taking a breath. He is bigger, well built and they are together a lot. Its time for you to find a new ride. I would skip an entire generation and go for a much younger model. One that has energy to spare. Don't worry if she has been around the block a few times, it just means she is broken in.

One thing for sure, you don't want a high maintenance model regardless of how shapely and enticing she is under the bright lights. Look for the beauty inside and make sure she has been well lubed.

If Auto Tinder or Hybrid Match has a supply problem in your desired body style, consider taking a couple of online courses on stimulating high voltage chemistry so the next one lasts longer. You want her to feel energized when you are around. Weber State has electrified courses and coeds to match. The Nissan girl is from there.

IMG_1928.jpeg

Good Intro to Weber Auto and Prius Hybrids
    https://bit.ly/WeberAutoGen2-3Intro

Attached Files:

#13 rjparker, Apr 20, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    ColoradoCrow likes this.
  14. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got no time for codes.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Or rubber stamps or plastic toads

16. Lean on me

Lean on me New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for the response. I am guessing that I would require Techstream to adjust fan speed?

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would you want to do that?

Techstream can certainly command the fan ON to any speed, but only while it's connected.

18. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For daily driving, I've used Torque in the past, though there are other apps that can that can adjust the fan to the highest setting. Not sure where you live in the US, but if you're in an area that gets hot, then it would be best to use the AC and set the HV fan to level 6 (high) whenever the temp in over 80F. Always park in the shade, and crack the windows if possible. Heat soak is real.
    What obd2 codes did you end up retrieving?