1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Panasonic or Generic Hybrid Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LASHOTGUNOU, Mar 21, 2023.

1. LASHOTGUNOU

LASHOTGUNOU Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the choice between a new panasonic hybrid battery bought through a dealer or one with new cells but is a generic brand that I'm assuming is chinese. The prices are the same but the panasonic only comes with a 1 year unlimited warranty and the generic comes with a 4 year unlimited warranty. Which would you recommend?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not even close, dealer battery doesn't need a warranty, we know they are reliable.

chinese junk, who knows?

BiomedO1 likes this.
  3. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another choice would be the Nexpower LFP battery. Reportedly it has been pretty reliable, but it has only been around a relatively short time, so we cannot say at this time with certainty that it will last as long as an OEM battery. On the other hand, it is lighter and it stores more energy, which are both good reasons to consider it as an alternative to the OEM pack.

I had some experience with Chinese cylindrical NiMH batteries in a replacement pack on a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid, and it was not a good experience. Personally, I would never buy a pack like that (again).

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    What good is a 4 year warranty; if you have to do the job again? Will they cover the labor cost; if the battery fails?

We had this new guy in our shop; that decided to save some money and put a no-name battery in one of our $15K monitor. Well in less than 3 months; the battery shorted and fried the monitor. Actually burned a hole in the battery housing. All we got was a replacement battery and an apology - "Well that has never happened before with our product" !!!!!! That new replacement battery got tossed onto our bad battery pallet.