1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New person, Gen 3 Owner, looking for quick help with ABS problems.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mikespeed95, Feb 18, 2019.

1. mikespeed95

mikespeed95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all,

Made a thread that's awaiting moderation, figured maybe I should just make a noob post.

Bought a Prius on Saturday, from a Toyota store that stated it was perfect and checked out, local owner, etc etc. Car had problems immediately, and also noticed the GPS still had the previous owner's address, work place, and other stuff in it, which honestly tells me they didn't look at anything and just threw it on the lot. Quite disappointing.

Had a Gen 2 Prius I put 250k on before selling, and just picked up a Gen III from a Toyota store of all places thinking it should be right and tight.

Less than 10 minutes out of the dealership, dash lit up like a Christmas tree, and I had NO pedal pressure. Pedal would travel to the floor before engaging, pulled over, built pressure back up, and even when I bought it there was a module cycling they said was normal. I haven't had a new gen prius but this did seem odd.

Anywho as soon as possible took it straight back, and I have zero confidence in the car anymore, and I'm pretty sure after some light research that due to the dead brake pedal this is the beginning of the vacuum assist/abs pump failing, or this was that component failing, and if it is intermittent it's just a ticking time bomb until this happened.

Toyota store says they'll give me a refund of my cash no problem and that's pretty much where I'm at with it, I think? Not sure. Really looking for some opinions that are more informed than mine.

If the pedal wasn't dead this would obviously just be a wheel speed sensor, but the loss of pedal seems to be the tell-tale that this is the ABS pump and what I've seen is this is a 2k+ repair.

Prius had 150k miles on it, and was a one owner trade in, but now it seems like there were reasons for trade in other than just wanting a new one at 150k.

Please share your opinions on this if you have one.

Thanks

Here is a video of the concern: