1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Plugin in the house!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by rockerdan, Aug 12, 2012.

1. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Got her yesterday! Pretty excited to drive it home in EV but of course the dealer seems to know practically nothing about the PIP and did not even charge it, they told me they thought it would be full already. I think i told them everything and learned nothing new. Luckily Ive been reading this forum for a couple weeks to get a grasp on the PIP.

Dealer also mounted the front license plate bracket when i asked them not to, I guess Ill be buying some plugs for the holes they put in my 33,000 car.

Anyway, once i got her home i plugged her in and got a full charge so i could experience my first EV ride ever, wow very cool! Loved watching the MPG crank up while others on the road are using fuel!

Mounted my radar detector(hard wired in) though im not so sure ill ever need it with this car..LOL But i do tend to role on the hwy on road trips and dont need a ticket. Man these dashboards are alot trickier to take apart then my VW.

Here are some pics picking here up at dealer....first dark color Ive owned in awhile and really love it, very comfortable driving car, tons of room and 4 doors is all such a great change for me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dealers with those little "delivery rooms" set up next to their boiler rooms so you can't back out on the deal at the last minute crack me up.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! she's a beauty, welcome to the club. i echo all your sentiments. (except rolling on the highway):p

4. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks guys Im super excited about this awesome technology!

I was wondering about the timer....It seems alittle quirky how it works, It seems easy enough to set, and then you see a green timer light. However trying to turn it off is odd, i guess you just need to get it blinking again then walk away ? seems like there should be a simple turn on and turn off screen.

Also , it seems to me the timer should be able to turn on at night when its cheaper....but why would it have a turn off time? I would want it to charge til its FULL correct? do I just set it for 3+ hours as this seems to be the time it takes for full charge from empty? I guess it seems odd to me. any pointers on how long to set timer for would help.

Last night i set if for 2:30am - 6Am cause i wasnt sure if that would be enough. I guess when its full it just turns off anyway? seems odd to have a timer OFF time at all.

thanks !
    Dan

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they are separate. it has a turn on time if you want it to start at a certain time and, of course, will turn off when it's fully charged. if you want it to be charged up at a certain, you set the finish time, and it calculates how long it needs to charge, and starts that many hours before the shut off time you set, so it will be ready to go at the turn off time.

6. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice lookin' ride rockerdan, congrats! Rock on....

radio

7. Mark Y

Mark Y Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Congrats, rockerdan! Don't forget to sign up for a Fuelly account so you can track those MPGs... www.fuelly.com

8. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats on the new PiP, got the best color too :)

9. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like that color. . . congrats.

I agree ... you don't need a radar detector if you want great mpg's. Seems to me that most driver's don't connect the dots between better mileage and lower speeds.

10. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks everyone....the more i drive the more i like it....learning when to use battery for best economy...really is so much more then a car! Its like a new adventure every drive to see what i can learn! so cool.

One thing i hated was with the angle of the Nav monitor and the large angled windshield there is a ton of sun glare on Nav screen...Im sure all you prius people know all about this.

So i made a visor/hood to help with glare.....

I decided to just get out some coilstock and bend one up ...20 minutes is all it took most of which was polishing!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also removed ugly license plate bracket...dealer was not supposed to drill holes in my bumper but ofcourse they did not listen! I got some matching plugs on order , think it looks so much cleaner without the plate up on bumper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Radar detector mounted....
    [​IMG]

My temporary sun visor was not deep enough to work well....
    [​IMG]

81mpg since i picked up car on saturday at 267 miles.....sure beats my hemi pickup at 12mpg.lol
    [​IMG]

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  12. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's soh SHINEY!

13. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats a lot of 9's. Even in 6:21.... 6+2+1 = 9
    Weeeeeird!

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  14. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just finished the window tint.....35% sides , 20% Hatch. Should help alot with the heat/sun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good. Let us know how your night time vision is. I was planning on 35% all around (minus the lower rear window) and 50% on the windshield.

16. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The hatch in the pics really looks blacked out! its not quite so dark looking in real life.

My last two cars I did this same combination of tint....it is not quite legal but in NY not much really is legal. This setup seems to be ok with the local cops, they did not like when I had 20% on sides though..lol

I always go darker on hatch mostly cause i hate being blinded by cars behind me at night, but the prius hatch is sloped so steep this will help alot with interior temps no doubt. I hate the 5-7 days waiting period to open windows though, Ill have to run the AC this week for sure.

Dan

17. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Your car looks really good. I think thats the perfect amount of tint. I may still stick with 35% plus a 50% windshield myself. Your car looks great though. Very clean.

18. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    windshield? you cannot tint the front....well you can do approx 6'' across the top.

Dan

19. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course you can. Its done by people all the time. Im not talking about just the eyebrow, the whole thing. Search. lots of people do it.

20. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    totally illegal but sure you can do anything..lol

I could never do it as Im way to anal about looking thru clean glass....looking thru tinted glass is never gonna be clear enough for me. Ive been in this game alongtime, owned too many cars in my day, still have yet to see a windshield tinted.