1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prime Owner w/ a few questions

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Regis510, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You can set a departure time and the car will figure out when to start. It will usually finish before the departure time you set. I think there are 4 ways to charge the Prime
    1. Set a start time.
    2, Set a departure time.
    3. Use the charge now option.
    4. Plug-in, unplug and plug-in. Edit: (whether or not you have a schedule set and want it to charge now.)

#41 Prius from Dad, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I wonder if this will add to the count against the 10,000 charge cycle count lifespan on the EVSE. I suspect it will, which is why the "charge now" option is in two places in the cabin.

#42 jb in NE, Jul 13, 2019
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmm. Interesting question. Also, my Duosaida EVSE is such a tight fit in the car's charging port that I'm reluctant to make that maneuver a regular practice.

4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow learned something new today, thanks. Just tried it and it works, but I didn’t have a schedule set for today. I probably should update list of ways to charge now and put it in the Obscure thread.

iPad ? Pro

Raytheeagle and Prius from Dad like this.
  5. Prius from Dad

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You're right, you don't need to have a schedule set for this to work. I'll update my post. (y)

drash and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If any schedules are set, unless "charge now" is selected or forced by the plug/unplug/plug method, the charge won't happen until the next scheduled event, regardless of day.

jerrymildred and Prius from Dad like this.
  7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I learned this trick from @Mark57 while back, and at that time I tried in on mine but did not work. I am going to give a try again, but is there any setting you have to specify in the menu or something for this to work?

I have a schedule set for overnight charging for every day of the week. It is very rare for me to go out once and come home and still have time to charge and go out again on the same day.

Mark57 likes this.
  8. Prius from Dad

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    No settings required. Just plug it in for a second or two (light will blink), unplug it for a second or two, then plug it in again (light will come on steady and charging will begin).

Mark57 and Salamander_King like this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Humm, that's what I tried last time, I think, but it did not start charging immediately nor did it cancel my scheduled charge. I am going to try again later today.

Prius from Dad likes this.
  10. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I let the EVSE finish the communications with the car and shut back off before I removed the EVSE and then plugged it back in.

iPad ? Pro

11. Prius from Dad

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It should work, it works for me and others. I use this rarely. It comes in handy sometimes instead of getting in the car and turning it on to push the charge now "button". Also, it will not change or cancel any schedules you have set up.

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I will give another try. One more question. When I use the charge now "button" on the dash or on the screen to start charging immediately, I thought it does cancel the next scheduled charge, doesn't it? My schedule is set for departure at 6 am every day. The nightly charge usually starts around midnight every night and goes until morning. If I use, either plug-in, plug-out, plug-in method or the charge now "button" on the dash or on the screen to start charging immediately during a day, and if after the car is fully charged and used some more on the same day, and plug the car back again at the end of day, does the scheduled charge start again at night? I have never had a day I needed to charge immediately and go out and needing to charge again at night, so I don't know how it works.

#52 Salamander_King, Jul 13, 2019
  13. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I believe yes if you leave the car plugged in. It charges now and that's it.

Yes. Unplugging the car and plugging it back in ties it to the next charge scheduled.

Salamander_King likes this.
  14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, back from taking trashes out to a transfer station. Total 32 miles drive this morning. Upon returning home, I tried plug-in, unplug, plug-in to initiate "Charge Immediately". Well, the first try I did it very cautiously and taking time in each step waiting maybe up to 5 seconds or longer, the result, it did not work. After the second plug-in, the charging light on the dash did not come on. I tried it again, but this time much quicker, 1-2 seconds in between and it worked. It seems if you wait too long in between the sequences, the car fails to initiate "Charge Immediately" mode.

Thanks. That makes sense. Then again, if the car is fully charged by the "plug-in, unplug, plug-in method" or by dash button/screen ahead of the scheduled time, and the cord is not unplugged after charge, there will be no room in the battery to charge more anyway. So, to make a room, one has to unplug it first and drive around and plug back in for most cases.

#54 Salamander_King, Jul 13, 2019
    Prius from Dad likes this.