1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius: 2013 or 2014? Three or four?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by princessprius, Jan 3, 2014.

1. princessprius

princessprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I will be trading in my 2010 Prius very soon and am soliciting informed opinions regarding my options.

There is a $1500 rebate available on the 2013.
    I'm wondering if it's worth it to get the older model, or if the difference in value later will make it better to get the newer one.
    If it's close, I am better off with the new one, due to personal circumstances I am in a more comfortable financial position than I will likely be when it's time for the next car.
    Any input is welcome.

My other question is about the difference between models Three and four. I currently have a III, but am considering the 14' four because I have trouble getting the driver's seat set to a comfortable position. I am assuming that the electric seat in the Four will give me more ways to adjust the seat.
    Other than that option though, is there anything about the Four that makes it worth the extra $?
    Also wondering about the seat covering. I like the cloth seats, don't like leather, and am not sure about the stuff they are using in the Four, is it durable? How does it feel in cold and hot weather?

Thanks for your opinions.
    :)

2. oalvarez

oalvarez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the Southern California region the 2013 $1,500? rebate was thru Jan 2, 2014, perhaps your locale is different. I do know that my dealership was more willing to negotiate on the 2013 than the current model year one.

Best success,

3. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Go with the 2014. Even if you get 1500 off for the 2013 you have lost much more as it is a year old. H

4. princessprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the input :)

I have decided to go with the four, the seat is more comfortable and the interior just has a nicer feel to it.

Still not sure about 2013 vs 2014.
    They're giving me less for my trade in than I expected, so I have less confidence about the newer model year giving me enough trade-in value later to justify $2200 price difference now.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Four is a good choice. 10 way adjustable dr seat instead of 6-way. Always find myself looking for seat covers to go over cloth seats which is a pain at minimum. I've heard Softex is better in heat than leather.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would hold off until the market recovers.

7. Tandem Rider

Tandem Rider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 14 is rated better in the off set front crash tests than the 13.

8. rorystewart

rorystewart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wait a year until the new gen '16's come out...

Why trade in and lose so much money for the exact same car?

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with this.
    Unless I'm involved in a wreck that totals the vehicle, and/or the vehicle starts to exhibit premature "problems" I'm not really considering another vehicle until the next Gen Prius is released. Even then? I think I'll just hang around, do a lot of Prius Chat post reading and let the 1st model year pass, and bugs get ironed out.

So I've got a few years before even the ghost of the idea of trading in my Prius arrives.

However, The OP does own a 2010, not a 2013, and usually there's a considerable depreciation hit between a 3 year old model vehicle and a 4+ model old vehicle.

If the OP waits until 2015, 16 or 17 to trade in their 2010?

The value will be considerably less than what can be obtained now.

10. Reetz

Reetz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Go with the four. The seats are so much more comfortable. I would get a 2013 four. 2014 is likely that last model of this series. I do not think the year difference will be a huge issue for resale later.

princessprius likes this.
  11. rorystewart

rorystewart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2015 will be the last model. First, Toyota is on a 6 year cycle for introducing new models, making 2015 the last year. Second, we have heard no news at any auto shows teasing the new Prius, which Toyota would most certainly be doing with the rest of the manufacturers who are introducing their new 2015's right now.

12. princessprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is what I did.
    Thanks for all the input and advice everyone.
    :D

13. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you sell your car to a private party, you should get about 2k more for your car, it is to me worth the trouble of selling it yourself. I'm speaking from recent experience, it took me a while to sell my 11 Prius, but I was able to get 2k more than the dealer was willing to give.