1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Buyer... A Teen?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ptpiz, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Honda Civic Hybrid? I'm not sure, just taking a stab.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    HCH =

HCH = Honda Civic Hybrid

3. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

I am the teen who made this thread and I am going to buy the car this weekend, and I just have to say that sure, I would love to get an old prius or a beater for a first car, but the problem is safety. If my dad could afford it, he would buy me a mercedes or BMW, or something rated SUPER HIGH for crash tests, but we cant afford it.

Getting an OLD beater for your teen IMHO is the WORST possible thing you can do, sure it is great that the car only costs a little bit, but you have to ask yourself this question.... IS IT WORTH THE DEATH OF MY CHILD? having a car with only ONE airbag or crappy safety features, can result in your teen's death.

Any smart parent would know this, and they would IMMEDIATELY notice that buying an OLD car with no new safety features, or even an OLDER prius, is NOT a good idea.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry, Ptpiz, I'm probably closer in age to you than most people on the board, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. My first car was a '92 Toyota Paseo, no airbags, no special safety features, and it was the perfect first car. 40-45 mpg, 170,000 troublefree miles (we got it with 89k on the clock), easy to maintain, etc.

The problem with all of these safety features is an aura of invincibility. Every side curtain airbag, ABS system, etc, isn't going to make up for a driver's stupidity or flat out bad luck. Let's look at when most teens shoudl be driving - to and from school, part-time job, and after-school functions. In most cases of suburban environments, driving during those times should never bring about any situations that would threaten the life of a teenager. I read once that between 12am-2am, 75% of all drivers on the road have had alcohol in their system. This can easily be seen as the most dangerous time to be in an automobile, but it's a time when no teen should be out driving.

I had 1 friend die in high school from a car wreck - he was in his brand new Camaro (with all the safety features), decided to see how fast it would go, hit a tree and split the car in half. His fault or the safety features fault? His.

Another friend of mine died a couple of weeks ago who I had gone to high school with - he was in a "safe" BMW, was speeding down a residential road late at night, hit a dip in the road, lost control of the car, bounced off a tree and then into a house. No seatbelt. Wearing a damned seatbelt probably would've saved his life - it's the oldest safety feature that there is and yet I get into cars everyday with people who neglect to put it on because of their super safe cars.

I'm not saying you don't have valid points, I'm just saying that your logic seems a little skewed when stupidity and bad luck are as much a factor in traffic deaths than a lack of safety features.

When you get your Prius, be smart out there - don't be stupid like so many that have gone before you and will come after you.

5. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    You can get reasonable inexpensive pre-owned cars with very good safety ratings.

They aren't as cool as the Prius '04 however. ;)

6. jaa

jaa Junior Member

I don't think $2500/year was a typo. My son, who just turned twenty, was $2500/yr from State Farm. He drives a 1999 S10 pickup. When we get our Prius his insurance is going up to $4000/year ( not a typo) because he has 2 tickets and no accidents. He's been driving since 16 to college and work. We've told him and he's very upset but he's the one who caused it. So far it hasn't hit home and he hasn't modified his driving yet. He's very responsible and is a supervisor at his work but somehow it doesn't transfer to driving.

7. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

I understand exactly what you are saying Danny. There are a lot of dumb teens out there breaking laws and driving fast. I am just not one of those people. First of all, I never drink and wont until it is alright with the law, and even then I will not drive drunk.

I go to a Catholic school and they have taught me a lot about all of these offenses, and they are just dumb. I always wear my seat-belt and always take my time in the car. If i get somewhere 10 minutes late, It is better than being dead. I am the "smart" thinker, so to speak.

I am very sorry about your friends and I just wanted to let everyone know that I am a cautious and knowledgeable driver. Thanks for the information though.

Oh, BTW... we called state farm again and messed around with the different options for coverage and I can now get insurance for $1700 every 6 months. This means I will be able to buy my PRIUS NOW!!! I AM SOO EXCITED!

8. Riffraft

Riffraft New Member

What Dealership did you ending finding your Prius at PTbiz?

I was just curious what Dealership did you ending finding your Prius at PTbiz?

9. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

I talked to the dealership in Miami: Headquarter Toyota. They said 4-6 weeks, but we'll see about that when I finally have to wait starting this saturday. Also, the down payment is only $500 and they charge MSRP.

10. tag

tag Senior Member

Nope, not $2500/yr. But in the first post where a dollar figure appeared, it was $2500 per month.

11. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Congrats again on the car! :D

But $3400 per year? Ouch! You said $2500/mo before. :p

12. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HEY now, I have an 03. :mrgreen: I selected mine OVER the 04 as the 04's don't fit tall people in the back seat. Another interesting reality has been that I've had little trouble keeping my consumption computer over 50 mpg, while 04 owners struggle to get midway into the 40's. My driving is heavily highway biased, with a very hilly area near where I live. Even with that, I'm sitting over 51 mpg right now on my classic. EPA claims aside, so far, everything I've read and heard has the classics beating them on the fuel economy cycle. That aside, I did like the interior alot better in the 04's, but it'll take much more than a Lexus look to get my hard earned $$$.

13. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, and I'm taking it on a trip to Canada in 12 days!! Look for another trip report when I get back. :flame:

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hi Pete,
    You do sound like a most reasonable sort of new driver. Having a Prius will be less tempting for your aquaintences with more horsepower than experience to try goading you into a street race :D Insurance is nearly 50% "How much damage can you cause with the car" and 50% "If you destroy it, how much does the company have to shell out". For that reason, a beater is cheaper to insure, no real $$ value. One thing that can help is a "good student discount" I don't know what age it kicks in, but mine held until I was 25 because I held it all through college.
    My advice to you as a new driver is - Learn REAL FAST to be defensive. Look around and figure out what idiot in front, beside or behind you is going to put your car in the shop.
    A friend of mine's daughter was hit twice when she was 16-17 by adult drivers. One was a rear end when she was waiting for someone ahead of her to turn left (no special turn lane). She had no way of avoiding this. The second, some fool pulled a U turn from the right lane. Perhaps if she had more experience in being watchful, she MIGHT have avoided hitting him, who knows. My 16 YO niece (who I would describe as a cautious driver) totalled the 280ZX her grandfather ( no not MY father) gave her. Ran smack into an RV that pulled out in front of her. Again, MAYBE more experience might have saved the car. By the way, not ZX didn't have all the safety features of newer cars but her seatbelt saved her from any injury.
    The last one I will relate is my wife's accident last winter. She approached an interesection and the light turned yellow, so she stopped as she had plenty of time. She was pushed halfway into the cross street by a jerk that figured if HE had been at the same place when the light went yellow, he would run it. So he did, except she was in the way. This guy had no insurance and his license had been revoked. Air bags did not deploy, wife and 2 daughters fine with seat belts on. $3,500 in repairs. The lesson? We both now check the rearview mirror when we plan to stop as a light turns yellow. WAY too many people think green means go, red means stop (but only if you feel like it) and yellow means go really really fast even if you are doing 35 mph 200 feet from the signal.
    I hope you are lucky and get your new Prius in a timely fashion.

15. olends

olends New Member

makes me wanna cry. i want a prius so badly, even a beaten up '01. but it will be atleast 2 years before i can get one. by then the car may not be special anymore because there will be so many hybrids.

and to the gentleman who started the thread, have you considered driver's ed and defensive driving?

and if you decide to take both, do drivers ed before defensive driving. there is an insurance loop hole that could save you 25% of you take them in the correct order.

16. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

I know what Driver's Ed is, and I am taking it next week. But, what is the defensive driving?

17. olends

olends New Member

Drivers ed is the 3 month long, basiclly school course in which you get a certificate that you can give to an insurance company and most give you 10-15% off your insurance.

Defensive driving is an 8 hour class room course that teaches you to be observant so that you do not get into bad accident situations. at class end you get a certificate for a 10% reduction by law of insurance rates.

which is why if you take drivers ed first and get the 15%, then DD then the insurance company MUST give you an additional 10% off.

do it the other way and you only get 15% total, 10 for DD and 5 for drivers ed.

18. kevinhnc

kevinhnc New Member

Ordered my Prius mid-January

I live in Atlanta, GA, and though I cannot be assured of anything, the dealer told me about 8-12 weeks for my wait. I think I did use a smart strategy though:

Initially I visted a dealership to get more information and perhaps order my Prius. When I got there the terms were a $500 deposit, REFUNDABLE. The only problem was, 20 people on the waiting list meant I would get my Prius sometime in December 2004!

At any rate, I kept calling around and found a place that told me they had 5 people on the waiting list. At first I thought it was because this dealership was small, but it turns out this was, according to them, the largest dealership in Atlanta. This intrigued me so I found out the details...$1000 deposit, NON-REFUNDABLE. I was so excited, I plopped my $1000 down on the table right away! Of course, I had already decided to order one, so I just wanted to get on the list ASAP. Even better, it turned out that I was the only person on that dealership's waiting list whatsoever to have ordered a package 9 Prius!

It seems like low, refundable deposits are really gumming up the system, which is why I'm not surprised that people get multiple calls from other dealers with available Priuses- because most likely someone on multiple waiting lists had already gotten their car and declined. People go out and get on multiple lists, and end up creating confusion and inefficiency in the distribution of the available cars to everyone else. In the end I think Toyota will get through the waiting lists quicker than we all think due to the fact that many waiting list spots are taken by extraordinarily selfish people who put themselves on multiple lists. I say make them all at least $1000 and NON-refundable so that this practice is limited.

Anyway, we will see how long it actually takes to get my Prius...I also want the Black Package 9 :)

Kevin

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That may be a NY state-only kinda thing, because I had to take a DD class for work and the only thing i could get was 2 points off of my license. I went to my insurance company expecting a reduction, but they just said "We don't honor that anymore."

I hate State Farm.

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kevin,
    I hope things work out for you, but you're putting a lot of faith in the word of the dealership. If they're truely the largest dealership I can't see how they possiblely have only 5 people on their list.

Perhaps they're the largest b/c they're the most fair and most honest dealer, but they may be the largest b/c they're the best at taking people for every extra penny they can.

My point is, you're now their prisoner. They have $1000 of YOUR money, you have nothing--but a wait. You don't know how long that wait will be, your options for looking elsewhere or taking other opportunities are gone.

RE: low refundable deposits gumming up the system--that's balderdash. There are, certainly, people who, after months and months of waiting were forced to buy a different vehicle or had financial changes making them unable to get the Prius or just plain changed their minds. But that's hardly gummed up the system. I don't think the sales people need to make more than a couple extra calls to people on down the voluminous lists that they have to find a buyer. Like shooting fish in a barrel compared to what they usually need to do to make a sale.

I sincerely hope things work out for you, and I'm sure you'll get a car, in time. Maybe the next allocation will bring 5 cars to this 'big' dealership and you'll be making the usual 'just got my car' posts. But to me, the thought of non-refundable large deposits to, of all places, a car dealer is just not acceptable. What do you do if, when they call you for the car, they've added lost of high profit port options, Toyoguard, the "Atlanta Style Package" (or whatever they call the overpriced pin striping/glass etching, interior protection package at that dealer). Then they say "here's your car, here's what it costs--give us your check or we keep your deposit?

The headaches of fighting that are not worth it to me.

Again, hopefully that kind of nightmare scenario won't happen, but you're powerless to prevent it at this point if it does and I would not recommend doing what you did to other buyers.