1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New prius c owner checking in!

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Jonnie256, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Jonnie256

Jonnie256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Yup bought a 2012 prius c(silver)yesterday. It already has tinted windows(20% black). It looks real good. I bought it for $16,500 out the door with only 19k mikes on it. I'm loving the mpg it gets! I am a delivery driver for papa johns and I can tell today my first day driving it that it's gonna save me a lot of $$$! It is a huge residential are I mainly deliver in and at one point today I was getting 56.9mpg!

Have a couple ?'s about the car tho since I am new to these kinda cars. I'm not sure what kinda of prius c mine is? I think it is a one. It has a pretty plain Jane radio and sound system sounds pretty mediocre and has hub caps. Also wondering if it would be hard to install hids in it? Was wanting to install some 6k's. Also how much do keys cost for this car b/c mine only came with one.thanks

2. ShirLit

ShirLit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations!! Perfect car for the job! If you don't have cruise control, your car is a one. That was the main reason we bought the two.

3. Jonnie256

Jonnie256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Guess it's a one. Defiantly doesn't have cruise control.

4. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    you can also tell by the seats you have. the one has non adjustable front headrests and the two has adjustable ones. the seats in the one also dont have the "tilt" function where as the two has it.

oh and welcome.

5. lunas_lass

lunas_lass New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Definitely sounds like a one based on all you have shared...did you buy it used? I would have insisted dealership give me 2 faubs... depending on what you have it can get expensive to order another. (Mine has a push button start so the faub is the key, it detects it...dealer quoted around $120 for replacement. )

Welcome to the prius c family! I do a bit of highway driving myself but even 44 average hwy mpg is sooo worth it. I am envious of your price tag though!! I bought mine brand new last december for something like $27k OTD. But it's a c4...so I am pretty spoiled by it. :p

All the best from Luna's Lass!!
    ...? via my Samsung Galaxy S2...

6. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats - my gas cost is 50% lower while driving the C.

lunas_lass likes this.
  7. Jonnie256

Jonnie256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I actually bought it from a Chevy dealership on the used car lot. Yea the salesman said the previous owner lost the other key. I'm thinking how the hell do you lose a key and the car has only been drivin 18k miles?!lol Anyways the salesman didn't really know jack shat about the car. Keep asking him ?'s and he was like I do not know? I do not know?

Have a ? About the cruise range. Ok so I waited till I hit the 5 mile to fill up my tank on the cruise range gauge. But when I filled the car up I only put 7.8 gallons in. I thought that I was almost empty in gas. But the manual says it suppose to hold 9.5 gallons. Also still had to bars on the gas gauge. Do yall fill up when cruise range goes to 0 miles or wait till gas gauge gets down to the last bar.

8. lunas_lass

lunas_lass New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Don't expect to get anywhere close to 9.5 gallons until you have gone to the last bar, heard the beep, and driven nigh 25-30 miles. I have driven 39 miles beyond the "beep" of the last bar before... a perk of this car's hypermiling capabilities. It's probably not recommended, but I only get paid once a month on the last business day of the month so; more than a few times have I done it.

Edit: ...and refueled at 9.2gallons. Lol And that chevy dealer sounds like the guy I bought my hhr from lol...I knew more about it than he did!

ewaboy likes this.
  9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What MPG were you getting with your previous car?

10. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Don't run out of gas - bad things can happen.

I've gone 25 to 35 miles beyond the "beep" too.

YMMV (literally!)

11. Jonnie256

Jonnie256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    My previous car was a 2002 saturn sl2. Averaged between 29-31mpg. During the summer I got a record high of 35.6mpg.lol

So yall are saying u should drive it until the last bar and ignore the cruise range even if it reaches 0 miles?

12. lunas_lass

lunas_lass New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    When speaking of cruise range are you talking about the EV juice? I run mine out but the beauty of a conventional hybrid is you can...and it will use fuel

13. Jonnie256

Jonnie256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hmmm well were do you know how many miles to empty? because when I filled up it said cruise range in the driving info screen 410miles. I thought that was it?lol I'm confused.#newb

14. lunas_lass

lunas_lass New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I am going to defer to the experts on this one... I just go by what the gas gauge says. Lol

15. Jonnie256

Jonnie256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    So you fill up when it's on the last bar then?. Thanks for the help! I'm learning more and more about these cars everyday in the forums.

16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Ok. This has been asked and answered many times now. Here goes. When the car "declares" 0 miles cruise range *not when it beeps as it can beep with as much as 30 miles remaining* you still have ~1.5 gallons left in the tank. Depending on your tank mpgs, you can go for a while. My farthest is 65 miles after the 0. I did not run out, I filled to 9.6 gallons on that trip.
    As far as the miles remaining when you initially fill up: the car learns how you drive. The more tanks you fill up, the more accurate the remaining number will be. It is extremely tentative at first, but warms up to you nicely. :D

Fahfoofnik likes this.
  17. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i have never even looked at the cruising range option. i always just wait till the last bar, the beep and the flashing last bar. ive dove upto 30 miles on the last bar but i wouldnt go more than that.

lunas_lass likes this.
  18. lunas_lass

lunas_lass New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    To be fair my 39 miles wad mostly city that day lol probably why I got away with it...

19. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You don't get 39mpgs? Shameful. :D

20. lunas_lass

lunas_lass New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

Nonono... I meant my 39 mpg after the beep and blinky bar. :)