1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius c owner reporting

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by PriusC'er, Feb 27, 2012.

1. PriusC'er

PriusC'er Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We picked up a Summer Rain Prius c Trim#2 five days ago. My wife is the primary driver but is not interested in posting on this forum. I've never posted to a forum before, but I figure we owe you guys because I monitored this site and it helped me decide to purchase the c. Thank you all for contributing to this site.

It is exactly as it has been described and looks exactly how it does on the review sites, so there's not a lot I can add to review-type information or photos.

I can only give you a non-reviewer, non-gearhead point of view. I haven't driven any other new sub-compacts or any other new cars recently. I can only compare it to the cars I've been driving for the past 15 years: a 1995 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. and a 2001 Honda Odyssey van.

From where I am coming from, the modern electronic amenities are really fancy. The bluetooth phone hookup works perfectly. All the controls on the steering wheel are very convenient.

The ride is smooth enough and better than I had hoped. I know it's not a Lexus or Volvo and it's not heavy, so I did not expect a dead quiet ride. But it beats all the rattling and shaking of my 17-year old car.

I'm not a race car driver, so I think it has plenty of power and zip, even in Eco Mode. It makes a louder revving sound, like it's straining, when you punch it that does not correspond to the engine performance, but it does accelerate quickly.

It does everything I need it to do in regular driving and it handles well in the turns. The steering is very tight (responsive), tighter than we are used to so I find I accidentally zig the car every now and then. The turning radius is really tight which comes in very handy.

With three people in the car, my wife commutes from sea level to 1200 feet and back down every day with A/C running and she has been getting better than 50 mpg for her round trips. On the climb, the mpg drops in the 20s, but it makes up for it when coming down the mountain. It has no trouble climbing or accelerating uphill, even in Eco Mode. My wife tested it with and without Eco Mode and did not notice enough of a difference to warrant keeping it off. She gets over 60 mpg in pure city driving.

I had it on the freeway for a 12 mile stretch and back using cruise control at 60mph in Eco Mode and I was in the high 40s mpg the entire time. By the time I hit the surface streets, my overall mpg was over 53.

The brakes are very responsive and seem to have plenty of stopping power. Way more touchy than my old Camry, so that will take some getting used to. I did hear some weird brake noise/shudder when I was braking on a downhill slope going over some large speed bumps, but I don't know what that was about -- haven't been able to replicate it. I do use the "B" gear just like I would when downshifting my first car, an old VW bug, mostly so I can watch the graphic showing the battery getting charged.

I find myself looking at the display way too much instead of paying attention to my driving. I figure that will taper off as I get over the novelty of monitoring the car's performance.

It's very roomy on the inside and I don't feel cramped at all. The back seats have enough room as long as the driver does not need to have their seat way back. (We are average height so it's not a problem).

The front end seems very low to the ground, so you have to watch out for curbs when you park it. I haven't figured out where the corners of the car are yet, but whenever I park it, I have lots of room left in front and back, even though I think I'm close to something.

The only negative we've found is the visibility. There are good-sized blind spots on each side of the car. That could just be because of what we are used to, or it could be from the small-size triangular mirrors. Looking out the rear view mirror, most of the view is blocked by the big headrests on the rear passenger seat.

Whew, long post but I hope it has the info you are looking for. Overall, we are really pleased with it. I can try to answer questions you might have based on our limited experience and comparisons with our not-too-modern cars, but the real reviewers have done a great job getting accurate information and photos out there.

I hope you all enjoy your Prius c's soon!

16 people like this.
  2. Jayin

Jayin Future "C" Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :pICS!!!!

How's the road noise on the highway? Does road noise overpower when your trying to talk on the phone? How is the sound quality of the hands-free system?

Lastly, do you find yourself grinning when you power down and see 50+ mpgeees?? :D:D:D:D

3. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anti-lock brakes kicking in maybe?

4. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for an excellent post. I think my experience, when mine comes in, will be similar. I'm driving a 1997 Geo Prizm - low miles - but it does rattle a lot. About the same power so my test drive did not make me feel a lack of power in the C. My 2001 Prizm has not run in over a year - bought new and run nearly 180,000 miles - mechanic said probably the computer & given the condition of the car - not worth repairing.

+1 on the blind spots in the C - especially the rear view. Salesman suggested folding down the rear seats when not needed - made sense to me. Our Fit has a similar problem with the rear headrests blocking a lot of the rear view mirror and our dog blocking the rest.

YMMV

5. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    the only problem with that "solution" is that you have to put them back up if you want to put something in the back without showing everyone what you're storing in the car. if you haul backseat passengers infrequently, another option is to just remove the headrests and place them on the floor in the back — that way you'll remember to put them back if you're giving someone a ride.

1 person likes this.
  6. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Prius C'r for your report. Please keep us informed on the MPG you
    are getting and if the mpg gauge is accurate compared to calculated
    mpg.

Also what make of tires did you get with your new Prius C?

Thanks

Alfon

7. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Makes sense - so much so that I suspect you've been spying:D on my wife's Fit. She pulls the rear seat headrests from time to time. Anyway - the rear seat pretty much belongs to the dog.:)

8. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you so much for reporting back in! We all appreciate it. Pictures would of course help us drool more, though. :) My car (newer Civic) does those alarming brake rattles if I go over a bump. I initially thought I broke something. And thank you for an actual review of the C. Traditional auto reviews get old, and I'm glad to find out about the visibility. I was hoping it would be much better compared to a regular Prius. C'est la vie.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Where are you? "planet Earth" is a little vague..... ;)

10. meehow09

meehow09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    How big is the Prius C gas tank that you bought in gallons?

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I pull the rear headrests in my CTh too. It makes a big difference.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :welcome: and thanks! please keep us updated, sounds like a great car.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats and :welcome: to PriusChat!

14. phenoyz

phenoyz Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info and congrats on the new car :)

15. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know...sounds like it shines the brightest with stop and go. I'm a little disappointed with that 12-mile hwy stretch, but the prevailing wind conditions and angle of slope (if there was any) are big unknowns (same with the temp, though I suspect you're in HI if you got a C this early).

16. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Where is the US would you be using the A/C at this time of the year? I would say they live in the only island state in the US.

17. phenoyz

phenoyz Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    as reviewed, the C's achilles heel is the highway indeed, but in the high 40's
    is still great, maybe a few "modifications" can increase the h-way mpg

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What year is your Wifes Fit? On my 2010 Sport Fit, the rear headrests are integrated into the back seats...you can push them down flat. Which is nice. No need to remove them. Also allows you to lay the back seats down flat and even without worrying about the headrests.

Not a huge thing...but something maybe Toyota would want to steal in future incarnations of Prius C, or any hatchback with fold down seats.

19. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

toyota had that before, problem was that people and safety officials didnt like that you had to manually pull them up to use properly... so new cars are getting bigger headrests that dont need to be pulled out to be used.... unfortunately.

1 person likes this.
  20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

getting better than 50 mpg, especially with hills involved, is excellent result for your average driver... i would say it is probably a big real life improvement over G3.