1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius C owner with a noise question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by maidenfan84, Apr 14, 2017.

1. maidenfan84

maidenfan84 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone! I just purchased a 2016 Sparkling Sea Metallic c2 Prius C and absolutely loving it! I'm coming from a Mazda Miata and enjoying the change. I look forwards to getting to know the forum better and learn more about the vehicles, as well.

I have a new owner question and maybe someone else can help. The car is brand new and I didn't see anything strange, but it seems like I keep getting this consistent windy-whistling sound from the sideview mirror area. It happens on both the driver and passenger side, so I'm led to believe there may be a reason for it. It the sound made almost like when you have a bad weather seal strip. The intensity of it increases with speed and wind.

RCO likes this.
  2. davids45

davids45 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    G'day,

Mine (same year, different country) is also generally so quite that wind and road noise become noticeable.
    I tried retracting the side mirrors at moderate speed but that made no difference.

I thought of comparing the windscreen detailing on my son-in-law's Lexus to my Prius c's, assuming that any wind-noise is due to a minor design detail (and thinking his Lexus would be quieter - I haven't actually checked :oops: - it's not an 'h' model).

Possibly it's just a downside to a quiet but small car where you're simply closer to any external noise?

David S.

RCO likes this.
  3. maidenfan84

maidenfan84 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've noticed by turning the side mirror in, the noise goes away. I'm at a loss for what it could be, it's brand new off of the lot. It's like a whirring sound but wind related, not from the engine

4. ShaAnn

ShaAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My Prius c makes the wind noise off and on.....left side of car

5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and welcome to Prius Chat. I believe you already answered your own question in the air above. If folding the side mirror in stops the noise then, that's what was causing it in the first place.

#5 RCO, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe 3d print an aero cap for it.

RCO likes this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good batting Thinkman! :cool:
    Well, if it was good enough for Robin...(+_+) Nanananananananana BATMAN!

bisco likes this.