1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius C owners please post

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by alfon, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Ignore the very first fill up. I filled mine up the day I got it from the dealer. All my tracking commences from my own fillup only.

ztanos likes this.
  2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The gauge will be about .85 km/l off... Toyota wanted everyone to really brag about their mileage. The car gets it, just we have a hard time showing it as accurately as the car gauge.

3. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

51mpg vs 58, for those too lazy to convert. The most I've seen is usually a 2-3mpg difference, so I'm guessing the tank was full minus some test drives, transportation from another dealership, or something like that. After filling up, I've driven 80-90 miles at 60-65 mpg before losing one pip.

Describe your pulse & glide strategy. My first guess is that you may be relying on the battery too much. Also, are you and your wife's drives similar (hills, stops, speeds, temperature, winds)?

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My car read 47 for my first tank of gas, but fuelly and my go to app both confirmed 43. After that, the car has only been ~2 mpgs off.

5. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The temperature here in Northeast Ohio dropped to the 50s after a few days in the 70s :( Barely made it to 60 mpg on the way to/from work - the warm/dry weather usual is 70+.

6. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Yeah, that's my guess as well. The problem is I can't maintain speed without using the battery.

Yeah, we drive the same route.

7. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My strategy is to pulse up to a few mph above the speed limit (~41 in a 35 zone), foot off the gas, then right back on to fill the EV portion of the HSI/eco bar thing about halfway, 3/4 at most. At first, I was filling it up all the way and not doing so well mpg-wise. Then I realized it quickly drained the battery and the 2nd half of the battery portion didn't produce much power. I also try to time my pulses for uphill portions of the road, and glides for flat or downhill parts.

Species5618w likes this.
  8. Hi! My experiences so far:

Short trips: 48 mpg
    Supermarket shopping commute: 57 mpg
    Fast backroads (with hills): 61 mpg
    Highway (I go 55 roughly): 57-60 mpg
    (y)

minkus likes this.
  9. LS1_Fonzie

LS1_Fonzie New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My first tank was at 44mpg but that really came down to learning how to drive the car properly and anticipating driving conditions to achieve good gas mileage. It's not something I thought about before the owning the Prius. This next tank should be a little higher.

10. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c

This morning, I was not in a good mood and the car dropped from 100km/h to 90km/h despite the engine running close to red. I simply floored it. After that, I turned cruise control on, it can have fun fighting itself and damn the gas mileage.

As I said, I wasn't in the best mood. :)

11. celticmoon

celticmoon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Bought my Habenero c just yesterday.

Multiple short trips today, not sure the overall average yet, trending up as I learn. It'll take a while to get a hard number from the fillups.

One thing is that I want to comment on short trip use. Reading this board last night had me scared I'd made a terrible mistake because many of my trips are around 4-8 miles, well short of ideal. So I was relieved to see 47 mpg within 4 miles of starting her up. That'll do. With a warm engine after a quick stop, I was back at 58 mpg within two miles. Yippee!

learning.jpg

Oh and please no lectures about biking. I'm in my 60's, with a toddler and two dogs in tow. And, it hasn't stopped raining. And, no way that Costco haul was fitting in my bike basket!

I am loving this car.

12. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I find a 7km (4 miles) trip is enough to overcome the 15L/km (15MPG) initial warm up. Might be an issue in a -20C day though.

13. twalatimer

twalatimer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Pick up my little chili pepper three weeks ago, love it!! I drive 170 miles a day, with some moderate hills, I am averaging right at 48mpg. You're going to love it, I get comments on the color all of the time, it does stand out.

ztanos likes this.
  14. twalatimer

twalatimer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was driving into a 20+mph headwind last night on the way home.....dropped me down to 41mpg for the 84mi. trip....that sucked!!

15. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    2012 Prius C, second tank, 4.3L/100km (54.9MPG) v.s. 4.1L/100km (57.4MPG) on the dash.

Average speed 30km/h (18.64 mph). 43% EV.

Anybody knows what's the 1.5L gas engine's fuel economy?

16. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine in the C is, as I understand it, an Atkinson-cycle version of the 1.5 i4 in the Yaris (since the C is based on the Yaris). This means that it won't be the same as the Yaris' fuel economy numbers, but probably very close. The Yaris gets 33 City, 38 Highway here in the US, according to Autoblog.com. Hope that helps answer your question.

minkus likes this.
  17. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Picked up my 2013 Prius C3 on the 15th of May.

I managed 54.91 on my first tank. I didn't use the dealers fill to start recording my mileage. Who knows
    how they filled it ???? Here's my best so far using the MPG readout on a short 32 mile run. The car had 1,6xx miles.

Attached Files:

18. c_drive

c_drive New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just picked up a 2013 Prius c 2. I just got home from work. 39.6 miles 64.9 mpg in fairly heavy stop and go, with about 5 miles freeway. On the pulse and glide I wasn't sure if I should keep it in the eco (green) area or go ahead into the power (red) area. I think I may have been using a bit too much EV, because on occasion the engine seemed to kick on automatically. The "B" gear on the tranny was interesting too when I went down a couple hills. It almost sounded the engine was running...

I had a lot of fun on the commute though; great car on day 2!

19. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It was running.

20. Absolutly Red Hot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    0611131928.jpg
    Since pumping up to 40 PSI in the tires I got 58.2 on the last tank. you can see the chart spike.

ztanos likes this.